1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News E3: All future Crytek games to be free to play

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2012.

1. Ch33sefiend

Ch33sefiend New Member

I don't think EA have anything to do with this - they only publish Crytek's boxed games as far as I'm aware

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 New Member

This surprised me really as I don't think I have seen a console F2P game yet, will be interesting to see if it works.

3. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

what the hell does console quality mean, code for poor quality, well of course they are going to make money some where.

sits, waits and watches.

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The only issue I see with this is that Crytek may not like the world they find. Or the world may not like Crytek for what they attempt. Pay to win games are rarely any fun if you just start off, and the inherent barrier that crops up when people see "Free" means they're less likely to sink money into the game.

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

How?

6. fdbh96

fdbh96 New Member

By trying their very hardest to ruin bf3 with origin, battlelog, shortcut unlocks, the list goes on forever really...

7. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine New Member

There is no such thing as a free to play. ISP, hardwares that cost money just to name a few.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Please continue that list. It's one thing to criticize a company for double standards, poor customer practices and horrible statements made to their audience, but if you're going to make claims that they're killing gaming, please substantiate.

The entire BF3 episode hardly killed gaming. Truth be told, it tried to establish something similar to the steam network. The only problem with that was the inefficiency and wonkyness of the whole system.

I can't argue about some of their practices reeking of greed, but I would not say that they're going as far as ruining gaming as much as unintentionally (or perhaps intentionally) segregating the audience by making pay to win games. Mind you this is nowhere near as bad as BFF2P. It's getting close and the whole premium pack DLC is reflective of it, but DLC has become a normalized practice as it is.

I wouldn't say they're trying to ruin gaming more than they're trying to enact a larger modicum of control over it. Which can be extrapolated as trying hard to ruin it, but that's at best a subjective term.

Boy I sound like an EA defender as of late. But I guess it's mainly due to me realizing nothing will come of merely railing a company. Everything has some kind of reason.

9. fdbh96

fdbh96 New Member

I just don't like the way (and I know other companies do it too) that you buy a game for a set price, then almost get left behind if you don't spend almost double that on DLCs. I bout bf3 but can't play with my friends as they all play B2K and are planning on getting all the other expansions. They even won 'the worst company in america' (a bit ott).
    http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ea-named-worst-company-in-america-by-consumerist-6370000

10. atlas

atlas New Member

And by free to play you of course mean pay to game. If you have to pay for anything that makes any tangible difference in the game (that you would normally need skill for) you have already failed at free-to-play.

11. Elton

The mircotransaction works to an extent. The problem with DLC (which has been covered before again and again) is the splitting of the audience. And that's entirely true. The best example I have is Burnout Paradise, where once Big Surf Island came out, it split the audience. Not to mention some of the better cars were on the DLC.

Mind you this is a marketing tactic to get the DLC to sell. The sale of shortcuts has also been around for a while now. It's not new, and it really doesn't make that much of a tangible difference if it merely unlocks items and weapons that can be gained normally if they are balanced.

The only DLC I ever bought was for Gran Turismo 5. Mainly because it was the one console game I played. To be entirely honest though, the model of DLCs is pretty brilliant yet very abusive towards customers. Make a game. Make extra content. Wait. Sell. Profit.

My problem is that I have to download the DLCs and not be able to use them. The worst part is the frankly atrocious pricing for them. A map pack and a few guns should not cost $15-$20.

Worse still was dirt 3 where a handful of cars and two maps-ish cost you a whopping $12.99. Or FC2's DLC.

My point: DLC is not only horrifically overpriced (they do not actually represent an increase to gameplay representative of the % of the price of the original game), they also divide the audience. With that said, of course publishers would sell it. It makes great money.

12. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

A much better model I would like suggest to Crytek, is that Crytek pays me to play their games.

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm fairly certain it's more like: Make game. Rip out half of content. Sell. Wait. Sell "DLC". Profit.

14. Elton

Fair enough. To be honest it's very apparent if there is 1-st day DLC. But hey, we still lap it up.

Tags: Add Tags