1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA announces Crysis 2 release date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Aug 2010.

1. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Graphics badly dated? LMAo, its still the best looking game on the market by a wide margin. Considering the game is over 2 years old, and is still the graphics king, id say its one of the more optimized game ever. Having graphics as far ahead if its time and still I was able tio play it on high ona fairly modest rig at the time.

people who know noting of coding, graphics engine should not comment on it, ignorant much?

After saying that crysis 2 looks like a massive bore, with resistance 3, Rage, killzone 3, socom 4 GEars of war, I dont think it will be close to the best shooter of 2011.

2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

It is well coded if it was badly coded your fps would be all over the place it's just a resource hog so that while fps is constant it is unfortunately very low. I thought the gameplay was rather good it gives you plenty of options on how to attack an outpost stealth, go in guns blazing, snipe from range, stealth round it killing no one, use your imagination. If you only play it one way you're missing most of the game.

Though the alien parts do suck in that there are far fewer options on how to approach it.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2010
  3. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

These are all crappy console games, what about BF3? I've noticed people on here are very quick to make personal insults, likely because their arguments are so weak. Pardon me, I mistook these forums as the abode of real gamers with real opinions based on actual experience.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

comparing cryengine 2 to that which tyey used on cod?

lol thats like comparing "war and peace" to "spot the dog"

5. sstteevveenn

sstteevveenn What's a Dremel?

6. October

October Mariachi Style

They are, you said BC2 was photo realistic. You have clearly not played it.While it is indeed an awesome and very pretty game, it's not photo realistic. Also you think Crysis looks like crap, again, clearly hasn't been played much. Actual experience? Of what, internet backlash from people who can't afford/be arsed to actually play the game the way it was intended?

Regardless of how well it may or may not have been coded, you can't seriously say it doesn't look good. The subtle play of light as dawn breaks over the mountain when you top the ridge that first time...simply mesmerising :rolleyes:

Crysis 2 will no doubt be a bitch to run (I hope anyway) and this is A Good Thing. Since when was the best option to make games run on 5 year old hardware just to keep inline with the consoles? Remember even five or six years ago, when you needed to upgrade almost every year just to keep playing new games on medium? If all your game needs to run is a 9800 Pro (surprisingly large amounts of games) why bother with any new hardware ever? Hell, why aren't we all still playing Pong? I mean, if your machine can run that why should developers make anything that requires an iota more processing power? How dare they, the money grubbing scoundrels.

7. south side sammy

south side sammy What's a Dremel?

OCTOBER: "Remember even five or six years ago, when you needed to upgrade almost every year just to keep playing new games on medium?"

I was just thinking about this. The card manufacturers always seem to just "almost" make available the card you really need to run the next best game. I bet if they tried we would see cards that wouldn't need updating for 5 years. Kinda like when the 8800gtx came along...... but at a more reasonable price. That card was king for several years and only recently needed to be replaced per se. Unfortunately business is business...... unfortunate for the end user that is.

8. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Too many new games use post-processing effects to hide shoddy textures and models, Crysis doesn't. Instead it has very high resolution textures and detailed models, just look at the guns, nanosuits, faces etc.

The post processing it uses is far more realistic. Instead of making every single lightly coloured surface look like a supernova it enhances their brightness a bit. It also blurs objects individually when they move quickly as well as the entire screen when you run/turn which is subtly effective. The sun beam effects, while a little overdone, are gorgeous, it makes the lighting so dynamic.

Sure, BC2 is better looking in some circumstances and its environment modelling is ace, but it still hides so much behind post processing. And then there's games such as the CoDs, they're still using the same engine that used several games ago (I could be wrong on this, but it certainly looks like it) and all they've done is boosted the model textures and added overdone HDR to it to make it look next gen, when in fact it's a glossy looking previous generation engine. Just look at the physics modelling in it and the bullet impacts for crying out loud.

Basically, Crysis is one of the few true next gen games that appeared which is also why it was PC only.

/rant

October likes this.
  9. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Not interested in this game until I see actual PC game pLay. Console ports don't get my hard earned cash.

The original version of this game utilized DX10 pretty good but so far I haven't heard them mention DX11 for the sequel.

I'm more excited about STALKER Call of Pripyat Complete

10. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

Haven't played BC2? Dude, I'm level 45, got nearly 400 hours under my belt, I'm a bit over it now actually (...must get to 50!). I didn't say BC2 was photorealistic (though the improved Frostbite engine is very impressive), I said that if you were going for photorealism, as opposed to a game designed to look cartoonish (Worms), minimalist (Limbo), or overwhelmingly strategic (Civ) then BC2 was a better example than Crysis. But, truth be told, I haven't played a hell of lot of Crysis or Warhead, just enough, maybe 10 hours, to get a feel for the visual style and gameplay... meh. Ok, it was revolutionary for its time, and i'm sure it does incorporate all the key technical features previously described, but it ain't 'da bomb', as so many here would have us believe. It's important for 'next gen' games to keep pushing the envelope, introduce new technologies, but at the same time I play almost all my FPS online, as is the growing trend. If a game designer can fool my eye with a few post processing tricks to make it look 90% as good as crazy textures and hyper-advanced lightmaps, while giving me twice the frame rate to frag nubs with, then I'll take it thanks very much. Having said that the last few iterations of CoD did use the same engine with minor tweaks and it didn't look that great. In regards to the hardware, it's the NSA holding back technology so they're always a few generations ahead of the masses... 8)

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I genuinely can't believe we have people in this thread using the terms Crysis and doesn't look very good (or looks like a POS) in the same sentence.

BC2 looks fantastic and runs very well indeed. It doesn't, however, come close to Crysis (very high) in terms of overall graphcial quality. You only have to look at the ground textures (or tree foliage) to see a stark difference between the two games.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

...I still haven't played Crysis (nor BC2). Still waiting for AT LEAST a 5870 to happen so I can run it on 1920x1080 :D

13. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

You're kidding, right? Just in case you're not, I was actually referring to the Radiohead. I thought this analogy would've been fairly obvious, maybe not...

14. Xir

Xir Modder

You Scottish? :D

15. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Crappy console games? LMAO, stuck up Pc snob, I am a PC gamer mainly , but some of those console games are quite good. Also, Crysis was PC only and was fairly crappy. Crysis 2 all we have seen is XBOX crap, another console game. True PC games are rare.

16. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Compared to what? Show me a storyline FPS thats better and for the love of all things good, dont mention COD because it doesnt even come close.

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Half-Life.
    System Shock.
    Deus Ex.
    Thief.
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

There are tonnes. I like Crysis for what it is, but, really, you can't try and hold it up as the best story driven FPS ever, can you?

Tags: Add Tags