1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA buys Bioware and Pandemic

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Oct 2007.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Last edited: 17 Oct 2007
  2. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

That seems very much like c&c 3. Which i thought was a total fail. I couldn't even get online when i tried and then just stoped playing.

What other good studioes are there? I dont tend to follow studioes as such but i know about cryteck, dice, westwood, bioshock, pandemic . Any which arn't owned by EA? Does tomclancy count as a studio?

3. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Crytek doesn't seem to be related to EA
    Westwood was bought by EA a long time ago (damn them!)
    Dice is owned by EA
    Pandemic Studios, currently not owned by EA, but apparently their planning on buying them
    TomClancy games are made by ..... Ubisoft - EA own 25% of ubisoft
    Bioshock is unrelated to EA

Edit:
    Although crytek dont appear to be owned by EA, EA publish crysis

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There are literally loads of amazing developers who aren't owned by EA.

Junction Point Studios (Owned by Disney now, but left alone.) - Warren Spector (lead designer for Deus Ex, Thief and System Shock) heads this studio
    Tell Tale Games - Steve Purcell and Dave Grossman, making great adventure games
    Double Fine Software - Tim Schafers developer, made Psychonauts and are making Brutal Legend
    2K Boston - ok, owned by 2K, but headed by Ken Levine of System Shock and BioShock
    Monolith - Condemend, No One Lives Forever
    Valve - Half-life, etc
    Bethesda - Oblivion, Fallout 3
    Introversion - Defcon, uplink, Darwinia
    Travellers Tales - lego star wars
    Lucasarts - still making some good non-star wars games

And those are just the good western developers off the top of my head. I could have listed all the Ubisoft Studios, who made Assassins Creed and Prince of Persia, etc.

There's also all the eastern developers - Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Sega, Square Enix. Personally, I tend not to choose games by publisher or genre, but by developer or studio. If I know Warren Spector is behind something then it's definitely worth a look.

That EA has bought Bioware isn't that shocking, it's just that Bioware is a notable company in a specific market. This type of thing is natural though to spread the talent around, otherwise Bioware create a monopoly on decent RPGs, playing off against Bethesda once every few years. By moving Bioware, the market is stirred and the developers shift, mingle and spread.

5. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I wasnt saying everyone was owned by EA ;)

He just gave a list of developers and asked if any were related to EA, and i answered

My favorite studio used to be west wood, but since they were bought by EA they have died a painful death
    Epic games are pretty OK, i guess valve is my current favorite developer, although, lower prices would increase that greatly

Tags: Add Tags