1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: Nobody cares about DRM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Oct 2008.

1. Tyrmot

Tyrmot What's a Dremel?

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That comic is getting a LOT of posting :D

3. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

Punk Buster ruined battlefield 2142 for me, EA refused to help me... where does that logically lead?

4. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

The reason everyone loves Steam is because it runs when you tell it to run, doesn't give a rat's arse about anything else that might be running on your system, and most importantly stops when you tell it to stop. EA and Sony's version of DRM is using a slightly modified rootkit that pitches an unholy fit if the system configuration changes or it even gets a whiff of Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%. Oh, and it runs itself on startup without even telling you, burns system resources, never uninstalls properly, and messes with other aspects of your system. Also, you can't redownload your games using SecuROM, or transfer installations onto another system with such ease. Steam acts like a nice little portal to your games; SecuROM is a friggin' black hole.

5. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Yes, as much as steam has it's problems. It is far far better than any other anti piracy system I have seen.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i have only one thing to say about EA at this moment:

FAIL!!!

7. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Not really they're making a heap of dosh and selling millions of their titles as usual and have quite a few decent looking games coming up that there's quite a lot of anticipation for among gamers. yes DRM Sucks but that doesn't mean EA = Fail. :duh:

8. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

You are all missing one very very important aspect of STEAM vs DRM.

Steam is not JUST about making sure your game copy is legit, and honestly, I doubt they even worry about it as much on Steam anymore.

Steam is ALL about content distribution.

Thier application was lightyears ahead of ANYTHING out there in the market when it was in beta (and had a **** ton of problems too, I remember the beta "years"). It still is even today.

Steam is also about the Community, connecting friends and players that have common links that may want to socialize. Of course they are worried about piracy, but lets face it, their system basically doesn't allow piracy. Anybody who is looking for a illegal game would never try and get it from steam then hack it, they would just download the DVD image, and patch the EXE. why waste time trying to crack steam? (that's the beauty of their system, its a deterrant just being itself!)

Really, the only bad thing people can say about steam as of right now, is that they don't have all the games they want on there, or that you need to have an internet connection to use it / have it work properly (remember the days when offline mode didnt work for like months with HL2?).

The internet argument is null IMO, because by the time the consumer marketplace matures (steam is mature, the marketplace is not) everyone will have a adaquate connection to use Steam without any problems. (at least anybody who would want to use steam.) Now Im not saying that in 5 years if you don't have internet access at your location it's your fault. But honestly, in 5 years do you think you will still be able to manage a good standard of living without any access to the internet? In my opinion, Internet access is KEY in todays world. It connects you to millions of people, their viewpoints, news around the world, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Hopefully the US's new President will help push the idea that the Internet is something everyone should have access to as well. Used correctly, the Internet is by far one of the best inventions / systems that we have ever had in the world since the Industrial Revolution.

ending tangent!

9. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I like DRM. I don't like the method and incarnation in which DRM has pervaded, today. That's all.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

True...but that doesn't mean everyone who wants a good internet connection is able to get one now.
    While we use things like Steam now. :D

I came across a store selling Bioshock for 10€ (14$) this weekend...and didn't buy it due to the DRM issues...:(

Xir

11. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Which is a shame, because they've patched out the DRM on it now. Well as far as I can remember they have anyway.

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The rootkit esque program is still installed but i don't think it needs activation now.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Bioshock still has the DRM and still needs online authorization.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Great article about DRM in gaming and EAs CEO comments here:

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

What a nightmare:

16. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i only have 2 complaints about steam and one of them doesnt even affect me
    i hear a lot of people complaining they cant buy stuff off steam with whatever debit/credit/whatever card they have, so maybe the payment options need expanding, doesnt bother me though as i have a credit card

regional releases, this still pisses me off so much, when stuff gets released on steam in NA days/weeks/months before EU, its kinda understandable if they're doing translations or something
    but in the UK we can figure out what you're talking about when you say 'color' so just give me the bloody game already omg :(
    i just find it maddening when digital distribution has regional release dates, i understand that this is usually down to developer/publisher/valve politics but its still annoying :(

17. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Some one mentioned that the gaming industry needed a revolution and I think its true. Too many un thought out, rushed and in some cases pointless games are come. Support is very shakey for most games. Anti-piracy devices are also largely ineffective and more of an inconvenience to the paying user than the non paying ones.

Maybe if a giant like EA fell we might see some benefits. Why oh why did they have to buy up so many of my favourite game franchises.

Im against SecuROM and canceled my Spore order when I found out about it. Simple facts are I own 3 desktops two laptops, often on the move living between my parents house and my flat in London. Even with minimal hardware changes my five installations would go just like that. So its just not worth my money. Are the re activation support phone line even freephone? And Im not going to effort to start sending in a reciet when I get to 10 re activations which Ive probably thrown away the day after I bought it.

Ive still yet to see an argument about how SecuROM combats piracy?
    Its like giving the employees of a bank a 5 use swipe card into the vault which would quickly become a problem. Your organized thief comes along and isn't too worried about a limited access card when hes drilling the locks.

Tags: Add Tags