1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA planning free-to-play mechanics for every major franchise

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 27 Aug 2013.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I don't think that was too expensive...consider the game is free. You could buy 3 plants and that would be the equivalent of the same game full price.

And really....£2 is too expensive?

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

This.

3. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

BF4 will probably have microtransaction ammo - you run to the ingame ATM (Which will look very pretty in Frostbite3), upload some $/£/€ and then you can buy 30 rounds for your M249......

4. Fracture

Fracture What's a Dremel?

It seems that this is yet another reason to no longer purchase EA games... I personally think Origin is enough of a reason for me to avoid their products. Combine this with their poor track record and future in-game-purchase heavy games, I can safely say that I'll be avoiding their titles for the foreseeable future.

5. Pookie

Pookie So this is permanence, love's shattered pride.

Oooops! yeah that's the one ;)

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

That would be annoying as the M249 is belt fed.

So you would have watch as your in game character finds a nice quiet spot to carefully reload each round into the belt.

EDIT: Actually it looks like it can take M14/16 mags as well, I didn't know this.

Well that would make the queues at the ATM's shorter at least. :D

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

If it was just £2. When you consider that the first PvZ game generally sold for £10-£15 (with all available plants), adding up all the plants and upgrades from PvZ2 knocks the game up to ~£21 and that's without adding in any coin purchases (which are only used for powering power-ups), shortcuts (level unlock costs x Stars or pay to unlock now), keys (grind levels to collect keys or pay to unlock the gates now)...

As I said, the game can be completed without paying a penny* (no pun intended) the 6 plants you can buy are not needed (unless you're OCD and must have all the plants) and all the keys and stars can be earned by playing through the levels.

*Penny is the name of Crazy Dave's time machine

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

This is my concern with the free to play model. It has its benefits such a no cost entry and the freedom to only pay for what parts of the game you think are worth it, but they often end up being prohibitively expensive to buy the "whole" game.

Dota 2, for example, is an entirely free to play game. There are no items for sale which impact the gameplay in any way other than cosmetic. However, to buy all of the cosmetic items (from the in game shop, not factoring in the marketplace) would cost multiple hundreds of dollars. Even the items randomly obtained by playing don't gather fast enough to significantly impact this cost. Simply put, the $60 you could expect to pay for a AAA release title won't buy you anywhere near the "whole" game.

War Thunder, which I've recently started playing, is also free to play and uses a more typical model of dual currencies: one in game, one tied to real money. The game can technically be played for free, but there are fairly strong pressures to pay real money. Direct advancements and unlocks can be purchased, or accounts can be made "Premium" akin to a subscription model. Premium accounts aquire experience and in game currencies at a strikingly higher rate, a rate which becomes more and more essential as you progress in rank. To buy a year's subscription to Premium costs roughly $70. There are content packs that provide Premium time for cheaper which aren't taken into account for that cost, yet keep in mind there are still cash unlocks and advancements which Premium doesn't provide. For anyone looking to seriously play the game this is a subscription model game, like many other MMOs.

This isn't to say that paying money in a free to play game is a bad thing, they have to make money eventually if they want to be successful and continue adding content. Only to point out that they are not inherently cheaper than a full retail price game if you wish to have a similar experience where everything is available to you. Indeed, many "free" to play games, particularly MMO-type games, will cost more than retail due to their similarities with subscription games and the constant need to pay for new content. There's still very much a place for retail games.

Tags: Add Tags