1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA profits from PS2 most of all

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

With those figures. it still shows PC games are still popular, and selling well, with only 1 of the 3 next gen consoles above it, i'de say thats a good position for PC gaming in general.

Sam

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

so thats why that idiot was sounding off yesterday.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Oh, snap!

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm impressed both the 360 and the PC out sold the Wii, but it doesn't look good for the PS3 does it? Not given the PS2 and the DS both outsold it, two consoles one imagines Sony hoped it would have beaten. I'm starting to think that by the time the PS3 finally gets up to full speed, it'll be next-generation of consoles time.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It's a good thing the PC did so well, particularly since people have been sounding off so much about PC gaming 'dying'... (like that bloke from Epic who not long before had been talking about how good PC gaming was...)

However the PS2 still being at the top is a real kick in the proverbials for the next gen consoles - and while the PS3 comes off worst, it's close to the Wii in terms of money, and the Wii has the advantage of a novel control system and being significantly cheaper...

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

EA also said, during the same conference call, that it expects PS3 to massively outsell Xbox360 in 2008. In Europe, they think that the PS3 will sell around 6m consoles this year compared to 2.5m consoles for Microsoft.

The surprising thing is that they still expect Nintendo to trump both and sell around 13m Wiis in 2008.

8. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I think its far from doom and gloom for the PS3.
    Though its 'lagging behind' the other 'next gen' consoles, it was much later to market, is significantly more expensive and should in theory age better.
    So I think it'll make up the gap in pretty short order from here.

Also nice to see that the PC made a good showing. :)

9. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

dont you mean next-next-generation

and the only reason imo the ps2 sells so well as thats its been out so long and is a 1/5 of the price (last time i checked in nz) of the ps3 and about 1/3 of the xbox 360, average joe (sorry joe, i know you hate that expression) doesnt care about specs and hd they care about price

and ms will claim that the 360 will out sell the ps3

Last edited: 6 Feb 2008
  10. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Read between the lines.

The Wii has more owners that the 360 world wide, yet EA makes $57M more from 360 users. Thats because most wii users are not buying new games. Mom and Pa sit at home with their Wii and Wii Sports which only gets used when Grandma comes round for tea ! LOL! Sad but true for a great number of Wii owners. SO the Wii numbers arent that good, but they have a whole lot of potential to build on if it keeps selling like it does. I reckon 30-40% of Wii owners own less than 3 games though.

The PS3 numbers are actually quite good. $102M on a user base which is 1/2 that of the 360. It shows a potential for huge growth in 2008 wheras the 360 has likely hit a ceiling. EA has stated as much that it thinks the PS3 will generate more revenue than the 360 this year. I think they are right (and I own a 360).

Also the PC... $148M. Thats fantasic. But I bet they wish they had a WOW equivalent in their pockets. Hell I even bet they had a Pirates of the Burning sea in their pocket at this stage. They have some huge PC titles coming in 2008. Battlefield 3 and Spore spring to mind as absolutely HUGE.

11. Major

Major Guest

IMO, Console games are too expensive, Wii games for me are too expensive, your talking about £35 for a single game. Thing is, if they were £20, I would buy 5-6 games every few months, but at £35, only 1-2.

12. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

remember this is only from one company at all. I think it also has a bit to do with EA's games and market focus. I.E most of the top Wii games come from japan or Nintendo itself, Just a thought.

Tags: Add Tags