1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA Sports to charge for multiplayer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 May 2010.

1. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

lol Poor NuTech who know nothing about Xbox 360 Hacking : I doesn't have one buy 26 friend of mine does and they play game before the game even sales and aren't even banned But if Microsoft Detect they received an Xbox 360 Achievement Before the Release Date of the Actual game they will ban you

or if they detect ur Firmware as said Krazeh while a ps3 is not hackable that just cause it too darn expensive to buy a Blue-ray Writer & Blue-ray else then that i haven't heard of ps3 pirated game but it sure someone probabely did it :

But I remember an Artcile saying people are able to Burn Blue-ray movie and remove the Ads ect. but very expensive and unlikely done by the major population compare to DVD who are still P2P 24/24 7/7

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Have to say I'm steadily leaning more and more away from EA now with any kind of game with their name on it. It's a shame. I hope it doesn't catch on. So far other companies have ignored their ideas.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I didn't think i'd say this about anything EA does but this seems fair enough. Same with the Cerberus network.

4. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Just as well i havent had an invoice from renault for my product callback on my 2nd hand car. Where will all this end? soon you will have dvd's etc that will allow to watch on only one machine and the like.

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

"Perfectly well" by your own definition is a major overstatement. As you said Microsoft detects modified dvd firmware in 'waves', so while you may get away with it for a short time, you will eventually find yourself banned.
    Try managing a legible sentence before you go criticizing others.

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Er - a considerable amount of misinformation is contained in your very own post. Piracy is a huge problem on consoles simply due to the fact that there are so many more console users than PC gamers. For a slightly more in-depth analysis look at Wired's article on the topic. The PS3 is the only console that survives mostly untouched simply because a Blu-Ray writer is in excess of half the price of the console and the writeable discs are almost half the price of the game. Everything else - the Wii, the DS, the PSP and above all the Xbox - is cracked wide open for almost any sort of online or offline play. You can play pirated Xbox games online and many hundreds of thousands, if not millions, do.

This is still a blatant attempt to strong-arm console buyers, but it's nothing PC gamers haven't been held to for some years. If the opportunity to reregister Steam games for $10 arose, PC gamers would be overjoyed at the ability to sell on their games for any price they like and pay only $10 for the new user to register them. As it is, it's just that console buyers have had it good for a lot longer than us.

[EDIT]

The waves are infrequent - very infrequent, in fact, and are not very stringent. There are a number of other ways to crack an Xbox without letting Microsoft know you've fiddled with the DVD firmware. In addition, the ban can usually be circumvented; the fact is that console anti-piracy measures are simply nowhere near as sophisticated as even the crudest PC PunkBuster or VAC. "A short while" may therefore be extended pretty much indefinitely if the player exercises even a modicum of caution and sense; the reason so many users are caught out upon occasion is sheer stupidity. Things like gaining Live achievements before the game they're earned in is officially available, or playing online in games that haven't been released yet, leave the Xbox team with no option but to ban you. Even if you are 'banned', IP spoofing and other techniques can unblock your console; a quick Google will throw up any number of ways to avoid being noticed and ways to circumvent the consequences if you are.[/EDIT]

Last edited: 11 May 2010
  7. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

You seem to over-estimate Microsoft's ability to detect modified dvd firmware, it took them several years to detect and ban people using the older iXtreme firmwares. There's no telling yet whether they'll be able to detect the new iXtreme LT firmware in any sort of short timescale, or if it'll again be a significant period of time before they come up with a way to do it.

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I think the point is that the amount of pirated games/hacked consoles as a % of total sales is much lower on the Xbox 360 than PC.

9. PureSilver

That might well be true - does anyone have some up-to-the-minute comparison stats?

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Not that I'm aware of, and I'm fairly sure none exist. Even if they did though, like most piracy ststistics I doubt they'd be very accurate.

11. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

Mmm At first i was like WTF? But then i saw it again, and is actually a good idea, as long as you can recover your password and log from different machines, this will be absolutely right.

12. PureSilver

Huh. Recent, but very basic article on the comparisons here.

What I find so bizarre is that I know only one PC gamer, but loads of Xbox and PS3 gamers. How come when it comes to piracy there's billions of the f***ers but when I want someone to play Shattered Horizon with there's nobody around, and everybody I know plays MW2 on Xbox and not PC?

13. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Sucky sucky? Yup, only Ten Dollar.

14. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

While the lead time between banning may be up for debate, my point was this scheme doesn't relate to piracy but as usual with any video game related news, piracy is being dragged into it kicking and screaming.

As EA's scheme only involves PS3 and Xbox360 games, the consoles you listed are irrelevant in this discussion. Now seeing as piracy is non-existent on one console and in a small minority on the other, I'm all but certain that EA is intending to tackle the rental and second-hand market - both legal avenues that are proving very tricky to shut down.

Any comparisons to the PC is even further irrelevant as most publishers consider PC piracy to be a lost cause, fuelling continued rumours that some are about to pull out of PC gaming altogether (I'm looking at you Ubisoft).

15. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Never mind killing off stores, this will reduce the number of private sales also. Now if you want to sell one of these games on ebay, you are guaranteed to get $10 less and that money is going straight to EA....

I think what puts people off Shattered Horizon is that everyone (included me until a few days) puts it on high like they would Crysis, and then does terribly due to getting about 20fps :S Works in single player, not in multiplayer.

16. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I think EA are quite right to do this, I dont think it is an anti piracy measure though, its a clever way for them to make money from the second hand market. If people want to bitch about paying the "ten dolla" then dont! Just dont complain when you cant get online. Console games suck donkey dik anyways, pc gaming rules.

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've corrected those points in the article, but I can't help but feel it's a bit of pedantry. As you say, you can't play most pirated games online with consoles. Besides, I know people who've actually not pirated things just so they can get DLC. Even I went out and bought the limited edition of Mass Effect 2, rather than playing my review copy, just because I wanted to support the industry and get Zaeed.

18. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

You're probably right, it was overly pedantic on my part. However it was spurred in part due to the ongoing team effort within the gaming press to shoehorn piracy into every move the industry makes.

I'm not ignorant enough to think that any decision publishers make happens within a vacuum, however when the odd piracy unrelated story comes along, it would be nice to have it shouted from the rooftops. :D

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Stores are doing enough to kill themselves. When second hand games are about the same price as new games and everything is 50% cheaper online, I think they've outlived their usefulness.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

fail, that's all i've got to say!

Tags: Add Tags