1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA to create paid-for demos

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Mar 2010.

1. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

EA seem to be on a mission to go under lately...

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Thar not gittin' ma munneys!

3. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

The way this MIGHT work is if the "demo" is an entirely seperate "prequel" or scene setter, utilising the same engine and mechanics to give you a feel for the game, but being an entirely different storyline.

For example, say a game like Crysis comes out and they produce a "demo" that details the events leading up to the main event. Basically, something substantial that allows you to do the easy "training" level and leaves you thinking "wow, I want the real game now", but not so integral to the plot that you can't miss it out entirely.

Think about the last but one series of 24, which had a feature length "prelude". People bought that on DVD before watching the full 24 episodes.

And as a previous person said, Gran turismo prologue's have been around a while.

Having said that, it could always start like this, then greedy suits will dilute it more and more until you really are getting only a free demo. That would suck.

4. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Well there is precedent for this in terms of GT5, or even in the past where for $5 you could get the first few levels of Deus Ex on a CD... but really? **** off EA. $10-15 for a "Very Long" demo? At what point in your corporate flowchart did "rape the customer" leave the realm of being a "Don't do it!" and become standard practice?

5. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

And I thinking that EA was becoming an OK company... damn my hope... I feel used...

6. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

Even though they have stated that these paid-for demo releases would not necessarily affect the release of normal, short, free demos, I can't see them bothering to release both.

There are only two ways I would submit to something like this - both mentioned above in various places:
    1) If the content is not part of the full game and so adds to the story, rather than simply being the first few levels, or
    2) If the price you paid for the content was subtracted when you decide to buy the full game (although this mechanism would lock you into buying direct, rather than from knock-down price merchants like Amazon, so I can't see this one working)

Either way it would still have to get good reviews for me to buy it - whereas with traditional demos I'm happy to download and try for free and it _might_ get me hooked on the game

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Haven't they already tried this with episodic gaming, first chapter was just a "very long demo" then the game was cut....

8. AltruiSisu

AltruiSisu Yep

The most irritating part of all of this is them knowing there _will_ be idiots actually feeding them cash for this stuff ... there always will be.

*sigh*

9. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

The age of the pirate is here tbh. If there was ever a reason, this is it!

10. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

isnt april fools a week away EA?

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

What a joke. I'd laugh but its not funny.

12. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

EA gone mad.

13. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

Hell it's now the right time, we are paying for advertisment, but with no disguise.

14. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Ahhh, I see what's happening, EA got jealous that people were hating Ubisoft more than them.
    Ubisofts online DRM requirement obviously caught them on the hop and they needed to pull an idea this stupid out of the bag in order to stay "Most stupid/evil corporation in gaming 2010".
    It's only March folks, stay tuned, we've got a lot of stupidity still ahead of us!

Coming soon, Ubisoft increase the price of all games older than a year, to cut down on that second hand market, and to increase sales of this years games. EA respond by actually killing a kitten for every copy of Dante's Inferno sold.

Fortunately no kittens were harmed.

15. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

Wow they never cease to amaze me, that's another bullet in their own foot. The games industry just seems to want to push customers further and further away at the moment! Yet they complain it's the customers who are ripping them off....

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

In an ideal world where EA isn't completely evil :D

I might actually buy a "very long demo" if it truly was additional content on top of a full fledged game, but seeing fiascos like Bioshock 2's DLC I find it hard to be sure. Who's to say they won't make a full game, then cut out the first two levels and call them "PDLC"? What's more, nothing's stopping them from making level 1 a free beta so all you really pay for is level 2. You have no way of knowing what's additional and what's just content ripped from the real game until it's actually released, at which point a prologue is useless. It has great potential, but far greater risks.

Of course, like you and others mentioned, the Gran Turismo prologues are a nifty little thing. Or if Valve did this it might turn out quite well, for example it would work well with Half-Life 3 (if there was one). I'd immediately buy a smaller teaser/prologue for that series because it's based around a strong story and is from a trusted developer.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Too true man. Seems as though Gamers no longer run the big game company's. Used to be they made games because it was something they loved doing..but now they are being run by suits who don't give two shits about us or the industry. They just want our money. It's almost as though the gaming industry has become a giant strip mine.

We are consistently being spoon fed re-hashed, unoriginal and unfinished games. And then they insult us with DRM, Locked data, and DLC which isn't up to the standard of the modding community. And now they want us to PAY for demo's?!

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Too true, too true :sigh:.

19. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Ridiculous - I don't get where they get these ideas from. Oh, wait... EA... They don't think like a user of there own products... There slogan will be like this eventually; "Free samples! Only $1"

20. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Did someone mention this was console only for now? I see they are not keen on getting people into piracy then.

Charging for demos on the PC is like putting a collection box next to an unwatched local attractions pamphlet rack and telling people they need to pay £3 for each one.

Tags: Add Tags