1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: "We blew it with Bullfrog, Westwood"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Feb 2008.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan New Member

What's this talk of forgiveness all about? Let's not forget that this greedy corporate enterprise is currently abandoning millions of SimCity fans around the world as it buries the series 6 ft under ground. **** you EA. **** you down to the core. >=(

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

IMO it was (except perhaps sins), back to good old tried and tested C&C formula. Some things are great how they are, if you revolutionise the way C&C works too much, it just wouldn't be C&C anymore.

3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

They didn't screw up with the acquisitions. They screwed up by being themselves (EA.) :rolleyes:

4. Bladestorm

Bladestorm New Member

A good example of honesty buying you a lot more respect than the usual PR spin, if the people listening to it can tell the difference!

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

*snif* Dungeon Keeper, oh what to do?

Oh wait, I'll just go play it.

Score!

6. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the problem in my opinion is as follows:
    (*warning, not intended to be read by people who like EA*)

EA pushes for too many too similar games with too small expansions within a too short timeframe without proper Quality Control and pretty much zero effort to fix bugs after release.

Look at any major series EA owns...
    NFS: Too many similar titles within short distances.. where has the creativity gone? the replay value? the quality? all gone in favor of pushing out a new title every year.
    Tomb Raider, another shining example of what failure EA is...
    Battlefield series, selling expanisions and extra content that all could have easily been included in the game itself? no thx.
    Sims: Milking the market with a billion expansions....
    All their sports games: Uninspired piles of crap with non existant innovation but in return regular refreshes as full price titles.
    Crysis: where is the gameplay innovation?
    Command and Conquer, one of the best series ea has, i'm surprised how good they are despite having ea written on the box.
    Dungeon keeper: RIP, EA killed you.

overall it comes down to ea succks.

what i find a bit weird though is that they say they screwed up with bullfrog and westwood, i mean they destroyed bullfrog but the Command and Conquer series is pretty much the best stuff any ea owned developer puts out, so its two completly different scenarios.

Edit: Bring back Dungeon Keeper. please.

7. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

I couldn't agree more, I mentioned this on the Ubisoft thread today, big and small games developers are both as bad as each other when it comes to source control, build and configuration management. They mostley leave it to the developers, which isn't a problem for a small application, but for major releases and updates this is not the case. Strange as it may be but Microsoft has been the only games developer that I have seen to impliment a decent code to customer build management.

8. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

You wouldnt normally relate EA to quality products.
    Compare them to the likes of blizzard who have made games like the RTS Warcraft, Starcraft and now World of Warcraft series. You think of them and you think of quality and thats because its part of their culture and embedded deeply. They spent a huge amount of money and took one helleva risk with world of warcraft and i know this because i was following its progress. They never rushed it out into the market and maintained the attitude : "it will be ready when its ready, when were happy its the best it can be" and that delayed that game for god knows how much longer.

Once released it broke all known records for gamesales, its sitting at 10 million players online (im not one of them dont worry so im not preaching) and is possibly the best gaming experience iv ever played though i dont play it no more, i still regard it as a milestone in online gaming and the whole experience it provided.

EA's attitude is the next quick fix, look at the fifa games and all the sequels they provide - hell iv stopped buying any games affilated with EA because my experience has been that they simply are a loud of overhyped crap. I got crysis as a present and wasnt impressed bar the graphics which i think demanded way too much for what it shows and im running a 8800GTS 512mb card.

Theres a dozen other games out there and although i throughly enjoy battlefield 2142 which is the last game i bought, i put it more down to DICE than EA and i cant help but think it would have been allot better if the makers were left to their own devices.

EA is a franchise killer....

Tags: Add Tags