1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: "We want to make quality games"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jan 2009.

1. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i love mirror's edge and dead space.

gluck EA.

ain't gonna happen. u can count on that.

why? coz thats where the money is.

2. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

I just hope they go back to 1942 was far more skillful inpaticular with the artillery units god I loved that game.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I played a demo of that on the PS and thought it was a bit pants tbh.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

error revealed.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It just goes to show how good they were/still are at porting then.

The PC version gained awards and decent reviews and the PS version was mostly naff. Hey-ho.

6. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

they need to stop releasing games with crappy DRM, but I'm happy they're trying new things.. it's a good direction to go in.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Stop making crap. That will make you improve 100%.

8. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Yeah and elsewhere in the news "Riccitiello: 'No Inherent Conflict' Between Creativity And Profitability" Oh. I guess it must have been other things besides lack of creativity that caused EA.com the online effort that Riccitello was in charge of before taking his golden parachute the first time after screwing it up, to die in 2000/2001.

9. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

I want to bang Aylssa Milano, what's their point?

10. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

I'm certainly no big fan of EA, but I gotta say his statement is encouraging. I just hope he means it, and we start seeing a bit more effort from EA, wishful thinking though that may be. :sigh:

11. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

If this is the way EA is going then.............bloody marvelous!

I liked mirrors edge (pity it didn't do so well) and dead space. For me it was a refreshing break from the endless sequels and generic FPS games.

As for need for speed. They better do something quick. pro street was balls, and undercover was a poor attempt to copy the glory of most wanted....sigh....those were the days.

12. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

I say EA games made progress but there biggest problems is Online Server and DRM issue
    And if they could do a worthy Expension for Spore / and that mirrior edge II will be good I'm in
    they are confirmation for even probabely a Dead space II SO I wonder when it out and if they continue that way
    i'm likely to play there game : EA Games made about only 10 game that impressed me a little
    And that Because They Taken Westwood a part of it

13. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

EA: "We want to make quality games"

Then may I suggest you plough your money into good scriptwriters and maybe an author or two for plot lines (Original Half Life anyone?) instead of seeing how many half naked girls you can squeeze into your game to get hormonally challenged teenagers interested?

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I can't help but pity EA - they're trying so hard to make people like them, but they're having a hard time making money. Let them try, and buy their games if you like them. Everyone will win in the end - except for when it comes to DRM. DRM is lose/lose.

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

EA actually have some really good writers on board, like Rhianna Pratchett. I don't immediately recall any naked girls in any recent EA games...?

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Wait isnt most of these games that people are praising made from a different company and EA just flip the bill? I thought they were more a long the lines of funding games then making them? or am I mixed up on how all that works?

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

EA is a publisher, which means they pay the people who make the games in order for the right to sell it. The developer gets a lump sum and maybe a royalty or two, while the publisher keeps the profit. Developers can self publish of course, but then they run more risk and need more funds, etc.

EA however also owns a number of studios and has some internal studios. Take Left4Dead for example - EA published it in retail, but it was developed by Valve. Since Valve isn't owned by EA in anyway, EA don't get any credit for Left4Dead.

Mirror's Edge, Spore and Dead Space on the other hand were all made by internal dev teams or studios that EA owns - like Dice and Maxis. EA both developed them and published them, so they as company get the credit.

EA only used to make games like FIFA '07, '08, '09, etc - but are now trying to move away from that image.

18. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

EA just laid off another 200+ people today.

19. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Three letters: DRM

Nuff said.

Tags: Add Tags