1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earth tremor in the UK

Discussion in 'General' started by Ninja_182, 27 Feb 2008.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

WTF, [citation needed] Radio 1!

All quiet up here.

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

That does it, this country needs a good fire-bombing campaign against the media, starting with the BBC as there the ones you used to be able to rely on to present the facts, not opinion.

3. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

That is the worlds biggest pile of bull!
    I'm quickly loosing faith in some people.

4. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Damm those pesky CO2 molecules all the way up there in the atmosphere now they are affecting tectonic plate movements too! :eyebrow:

On a serious note I was up at 1 in London and I didnt feel it, but others in my building did. I guess ive got use to vibrations with a building site next door! :wallbash:

Last edited: 27 Feb 2008
  5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Actually it is not ********.

It follows by simple logic that the more water that accumulates in our oceans the greater the collective mass of this water, which in turn means a much greater pressure/weight on the seabed. This in turn leads to increased stress on the ocean floor. Hence, more frequent quakes. At least, that's what I've read.

6. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Is a sea rise of ~1-2mm per year enough to increase the mass of water by a significant amount when compared to the vast depth of the oceans already? (Genuine question)
    Even if all that is true that would have greatest effect on oceanic plates, and oceanic and continental plate boundaries where as I think! (dont flame me) that this earthquake occured directly under a continental plate not too near a plate boundary (off to google tectonic plates under Europe)

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

That would require a person more knowledgeable in this field than myself to answer fully, however personally I believe it is. 2mm rise in sealevel annually is a very conservative estimate. However, even 1-2mm does amount to a substantial volume of water. And as we know, any disturbance in the balance of things is enough to tip the scales.

And yes, I do believe you are correct in that the areas already most troubled by quakes (along the plate boundaries) will first and foremost notice an increase in quakes.

*will also do more research into this*

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

LOL, a proper AV lover right there boys and girls. :hehe:

9. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

i felt noting :( i got up at 1am to look at mums bank acount and to do something in a web game, when i get an IM from a friend who lives in the next block up asking did i feal the quake :(

10. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

I was wondering how long it would take before someone accounted it to that. Solar eclipses accounted to it soon.

In light of the "OMG I might have died" things, my lego man fell off my monitor which given his height is like a human falling 15m. Then there was the fall from the desk to the floor... :p

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Actually it is not as far-fetched as you'd think. See earlier post for more info.

Shame about your lego-man. I trust you will give him the proper send off with a wake and all? Perhaps ship him to his final restingplace in a miniature longboat which you set afloat in your bathtub, douse with gasoline and then set on fire? That's a kings' proper burial right there. :D

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Just needs a 21 flush salute and he's gone.

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Every millimeter rise in sea level adds 361 000 000 000 tonnes to the sea (no rly) if i worked it out right, thats equivalent to 1000 empire state building every mm...

I don't really know how significant that it, but I doubt its too much given the size of the sea anyway.

14. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Yeah I just read the earlier posts, I must have skipped a few. I didnt really take to the idea of posting this thread in the early hours of the morning then reading through the 80something replies :p

I threw him in back in the box of random lego bits in my wardrobe and replaced him with a skeleton lego man. Not quite as funny and slightly more imposing but it seemed like a good idea.

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It's more likely post-glacial rebound.
    We're on a creaky see-saw.

16. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

This made me laugh out loud for some reason. :D
    Good thing I'm just about alone in the office now...

17. loops

loops What's a Dremel?

I was in middlesbrough- thought it was the cat scratching using the bed post..didnt realise it was an earth quake till I went to tesco this morning and there was Quake! All over the local paper

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I was waken by the quake here in Sheffield. The room was shaking and I thought it was the wind because I live in an appartment which sticks out and usually shakes a little in bad winds. Just went back to bed. Wasnt until this morning I found out it was a quake, last thing id expect in the UK.

19. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It's only Radio 1 and the morons that listen to Radio 1. There are still parts of the BBC that are reputable.

In Oxfordshire and I never felt it (I had just fallen asleep at the time).

20. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

^^I didn't feel anything in Oxford either, I feel left out :waah:

Somehow people further down the country did, going by the texts on the radio today... probably just their other half farting in bed ;)