1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding easier said than done?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jennyfur, 26 Jun 2002.

1. jennyfur

jennyfur What's a Dremel?

Decided to take on a very simple mod project the other day... cable sleeving all the wires from my Enermax PSU. Armed with that great how-to article over at http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/cable_sleeving/index.shtml , I got some schweeeet silver cable sleeving and clear heatshrink ready to go. Now the fun part.... taking off the molex connectors. Well those *%^#@! retaining clips are a pain in the ass to bend in! Try as I may, the little buggers just won't cooperate. I even managed to snap off the smallest of my precision screwdrivers in the connector at one point!
    :sigh:

Bah. Lament of the inept modder. Sorry, just had to vent ;)

Anybody that did this successfully have any tips on an easy way to get 'em out? Cuz those little *******s are really ****in me off and I know this is a simple task :)

2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

that is why I have avoided that preticular mod myself so I can impathize.... perhaps CoolHand, or macroman (cause I know they have done this mod) could give some tips...

[edit] :: a guy over at pc extremes used a paperclip to remove them and has a picture, here

Last edited: 26 Jun 2002
  3. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

i too tryed and failed. lol

4. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

Dude you can get a molex pin remover from molex to remove these things. They push right back out and can be reinserted l8ter. Serch around there for "pin removal tool" I have 2 of them but neither are for PC size ones they are for my molexs.

5. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

I recently did this. Phire might be the best person to answer....and he is supposed to have an article or something...someday! :D

Anyway, what I did was turn the molex around so that I was looking down the pins and you can just see where the clip is. Then I used a super small screwdriver, but I'm sure a paperclip would work, and pushed it in. Then twist the wire slightly and you can spot the other clip. Should be 2 on each pin. Once you get a couple of them to come out, you'll get the hang of it. :)

6. G8way

G8way What's a Dremel?

Or, for an pragmatistic approach to sleeving, you could put on zip ties instead :p

7. Coolrunnin

Coolrunnin What's a Dremel?

Just done this mod myself - to get the molex's off I just used a 2 mm jeweller's scredriver and carefully bent the tabs in on the pins. If you put the screwdriver in the right place and the tabs are easy to get at IMO. As long as there is a bit of lateral movement in the pins (which there always is) it shouldn't be a problem. I found putting the screwdriver in then twisting it the get the tabs bent was the best option - the tab pressed in using the edge not the flat of the blade.

I also cheated and used zip-ties with heatshrink over the top - makes the mod a lot easier if at the expernse of looks a bit.

[edit] having looked at the VH article using zip ties looks better than not - you only need a 1" piece of heatshrink so you dont have hardly any of those ugly coloured wires on show [/edit]

Hope that helps ya :)

Last edited: 26 Jun 2002
  8. jennyfur

Yeah, I'd already attempted with those tiny precision screwdrivers. the 2mm one was the one that snapped. Oh well, guess I'll try again tonight, maybe with paperclips instead... just was hoping there was some easy way out of it ;)

Thanks guys!

9. reg36

reg36 What's a Dremel?

I used tweezers with fine pointed tips to get both pins at once. The tip is good to pull the pins back out also. I've had these tweezers for years but try a hobby shop.

10. KypD

KypD What's a Dremel?

yeah. before i knew how to take them out, i wrapped them around my pliers, and PULLED! came out find, no damage at all. pins were still perfect. wire was a bit bent.. but meh.

11. jennyfur

Hmm....hydrogen18 inspired me to go looking for a tool to do it.... good ol google.com came up with this site:

http://www.happcontrols.com/tools/11030006.htm

now the question is....which size pins are the ones in PC molex plugs? (if any of those even ARE the right size....)

12. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

I can't say for certain. I was just looking in my handy-dandy jameco catalog, and it looks like the molex connectors for PCs are 0.2". I also looked in jameco for an extraction tool, but all i see is one for 0.093" pins.

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I use a jeweller's screwdriver, but a much smaller bit, probably under 1mm so the barb can be pressed into the tube a bit and then picked out for re-assembly.

My guide here.

14. linear

linear Minimodder

Hey, that's a nice link! $25 may seem absurdly high, but back in my school days I went shopping for that tool and couldn't find it under a hundred bux.

15. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

wellllll you didnt hear me say this, but .93 is for the regular 4 pin molex. :)

And I would have to say, sleeving a psu is indeed easier said than done. Im down to 25 min a power supply, but thats still a long time.

piccies you say???? SURE!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 more week guys.......

16. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

definatly invest in the molex remover tool.. you can pick them up at most electronics shops.. very handy.. :)

-scoob8000

17. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

1 more week...BAH! You said six days 3 days ago. :lol:

It's too late now anyway. I'm already done and don't plan on doing anymore soon. :D

18. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

I find it dead esy to remove the clips, it's reinserting them that's a bugger!!

19. jennyfur

Phire is a god. heheh. *bows down*

It's that first pic you posted....that's the evil connector that was causing me the most grief!! I checked the sizes on my precision screwdrivers.... the smallest one is 0.9mm, which is the ONLY size that will fit in that weird connector (that's also the one that caused me to break the screwdriver). Grrrrr how the hell did you do that?! :)

As for the normal 4 pin molex plugs.... TRIUMPH!!! Yes, I got one of those stupid things off. Easily. I tried using the next size UP in my screwdriver set. Think it's 1.2mm or something. Anyways it only took like 3 minutes to get all 4 pins out. Joy! The rest shouldn't be so bad now. Except for the aforementioned evil plug and its awkward friend that I haven't even tried yet. :D

Last edited: 27 Jun 2002