1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU EATX12V (8pin cable burnout)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dinoscothern, 7 Aug 2018.

1. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Member

This is with an x79 motherboard and a e5 1650 v1 processor overclocked to 4.4Ghz
    The power supply is an Silverstone ST85F-PT.
    Its been fine for about a year but recently I've sort of noticed a burning smell (after a ffmpeg rendering run, which ended today with the machine boot looping when going into graphics mode.
    I (eventually) found out that The EATX12V cable plugs had melted (foobaring the mb socket, and probably on of the psu sockets too).

I'm now using an old machine and looking at what to do with the broken one. The x79 v1 cpus are power hungry monsters, but I didn't expect the cable plugs to melt - leaving bits of plastic inside the socket when I removed them..

Has anyone else had similar experiences, and perhaps have heath robbinson style suggestions for a fix?

Cheers

2. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Active Member

Sounds like a possible bad connection at the MB end.

Why not solder a new socket onto the MB and see if it boots?

3. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Member

Mmm, now that went badly, no matter what I did I couldn't desolder the socket. Even after removing the body the remains wont shift, I guess there is too much copper taking away the heat. If I'm really really carefull I might be able to driil out the pins, but I'm not that hopeful that its going to work afterwards - its probably cooked anyway. I guess I might have to move forward and try a more recent generation, though I need to keep the 32+G of ddr3 I have.

Tags: