1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay bank transfer help.

Discussion in 'General' started by peteone, 7 Jun 2006.

1. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Hi folks, just wondering if you guys could quickly help me out. Im selling some bike stuff on Ebay and a potential buyer is asking if he can pay via bank transfer? Just wondering if anyone has any info on how safe this is. I wouldnt mind if it was just a couple of quid but its a £350 set of forks.

Ive checked ebay boards and it seems to be ok but Im just looking for some first hand experience if poss.

Cheers :thumb:

Pete.

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

It should be OK I think.

You give him your sort code and account number and he pays money into your account. i'm not sure how much damage those details can do in the wrong hands but it's not like you're giving them your card and pin number or anything like that. Your bank should have security on your account and he'll need to know your password, DOB, address, things like that to get up to any mischief.

Having said that, I don't know if those simple details will be enough for a scammer to get other things..

3. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

Should be fine, Just wait until you receive the money before you send them.

I did my first bank transfer on Bit-Tech, and there were no problems :D

Yatesy

4. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Edit: Opps, thought you were buying.

/sleep

5. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Cheers peeps, Ive had a look and it seems to be ok. Apparently its safer than sending a cheque as the bank transfer has all the details on a check but the cheque also has a signature.

I was just wondering about things like chargeback and what not. Say he receives the goods then somehow reverses the transfer, it doesnt look like that is possible though.

Cheers for the help.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You cannot reverse a bank transfer.

Once its left your account its gone, you can use the bank to contact the other account owner to reverse a bad transaction.

I use Bank xfer all the time, far safer and with people at the same bank (HSBC/Natwest/LLoyds etc...) its instant.

7. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

He can "send" the money then cancel it before it goes through. So wait for the money to appear in your account before you send off the bike. (Might take a couple of days). A friend transfered me some money using online banking, all he needed (iirc) was my name and account number. No card details.