1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other eBay dumping PayPal in favour of Adyen

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeK, 1 Feb 2018.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Game Over man, Game Over. I just hope the sellers all make their way to Amazon.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Off is the direction they can ****

4. Vault-Tec

I don't understand it. As if their recent policy changes were not bad enough they now want to cut Paypal out. Which just shows that some one in the company is trying to take absolutely every penny from every one else so they have it all.

Just greedy.

5. Vault-Tec

PayPal said eBay shoppers will still be able to select PayPal as a form of payment until at least July 2023

Oh well, I better buy everything I need before then :D

6. GeorgeK

So from what I understand you'll just pay Adyen and then what? Get the money paid straight to your account without going via a PayPal Adyen account? Apparently it'll lower fees for sellers but at what cost? PayPal have always had my back as a seller even when I've been dicked around - not particularly looking forward to the changes tbh

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Hooray. Now we have another way to get screwed. :D

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

This was inevitable the moment Ebay stopped owning Paypal. It would never have been their long term plan to allow something they didn't control to have a monopoly over their payment system.

As for the practical effect, it depends entirely on fees and policy. Both Ebay and Paypal have a policy that pretty much amounts to 'phuck the seller' anyway, so in practical terms I don't expect it to change much. I expect it to be pretty damaging for Paypal though, unless Adyen gets beset by scandal, which is another thing I can see happening. Compared to Paypal Adyen are teeny weeny, their new deal must pretty much put them entirely under Ebay's boot and I can seem them struggling to deliver.

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I suspect it's probably on balance a good thing.

It's should reduce the complexity of dealing with disputes and allow consistency/clarity and maybe even fairer(!) policies.
    Hopefully it'll reduce fees
    From a buyers pov, ebay offers sufficient protection without needing the additional protection of paying through paypal, so it shouldn't really make much difference.
    From a sellers pov, the less potential parties to give unfair refunds to buyers taking the piss the better.

Paypal will be okay as they have their own job as acting as a easy and secure 3rd party when buying from online shops you might not trust 100%. I just don't think what they offer is needed on ebay anymore.

Paypal's shares have fallen but a few years back you'd have expected them to totally collapse upon this news. Per the article, "EBay accounts for roughly 13 percent of total payments processed by PayPal.", which is a still a big chunk but I imagine a less than it would have been some time ago, and less than many might imagine.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2018
  11. GeorgeK

I must have missed that statistic - I definitely would have thought it was much higher. Even still for any business to be told that in a couple of years 13% of your business will be disappearing would be quite hard to cope with.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'm more surprised they didn't roll their own solution for payments, as they did for international reshipping.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Oh well, five years to see if Adyen are reliable, trustworthy and don't overcharge for their services, whilst I continue using Paypal. If they fall down on any of those provisions, then no more Ebay from 2023.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Jeez, I hope Adyen's interface improves - it's been a good few months since I used it but it was awful.