1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay problem - do I refund or keep cash?

Discussion in 'General' started by severedhead, 25 Aug 2005.

1. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Sold some stuff on eBay and send it all off as you do, however one person is complaining that they haven't recieved their goods. All the others I sent t the same time got to their respective buyers OK except this one. Now like an idiot I didn't send them recorded delivery so have no proof that they have been recieved or not.

So, do I just leave it and risk them complaining about me to eBay if they genuinely haven't recieved the goods, or do I give them a refund leaving me out of pocket?

Are Paypal's or eBay's buyer protection valid in this situation?

Please help, I'm not sure what to do. But don't just say keep the cash without a reason as I'm an honest guy.

2. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

How much cash are we talking about here? if its a large ammount try and work out a deal with the guy and see if you cant come to some arrangement.

3. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

Yeah, how much money are we talking about?

Paypal buyer protection just sucks the money from your account. It will debit your account, including making it go negative if you have no money in the account. Their protection is crap in general.

I don't know about the UK, but I know that in the US even if a package or letter doesn't have delivery confirmation or tracking you call the post office and check to see if the package was delivered. At best they can call the persons local carrier and ask him/her if they remember delivering a package of that type. Try that.

If they can't do that... well then I don't know. If you don't refund and they file a paypal complaint you WILL lose. You have no proof of delivery and if the value of the item was over $250 USD you must have signature confirmation to win a dispute (yes thats a little known fact).

If you lose the dispute, but have already spent/taken out the money, and you lose the dispute, your account will go negative. Paypal will try and take the money from your bank account or charge your credit card (yes, this is illegal but they will still try and do it). So my advice is if you don't want to refund to cancel your credit card and take all your money out of your bank account and open another.

4. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

Did you give the option of recorded delivery on the listing? If you did, you can pass the blame to them, saying that you offered a service which would have preovided proof of postage, and that you can take no responsibility for the item once it has been posted.

5. XUntitled

Wont work. Paypal only follows paypal policies. No matter what you say in your auction. If you can't provide shipping information you will automatically loose that paypal complaint.

A little OT:
    Paypal is garbage, don't use it. I was a paypal user for 4 years, never had a problem. 100% perfect ebay feedback, about 100 or so. Then I sold an item on ebay. They guy mailed paypal less then an hour after the auction. Said I didn't have the item and stuff (which he had no proof of, I did have the item). Paypal locked my account with my money in it and limited it. I had a couple ebay auctions just end and got payment.

Since I couldn't get to the money I said I wasn't shipping out the items. I had to send copies of the drivers license, passport, bank statements, credit card statement, copies of proof of purchase for the goods, and I even sent them a picture of my house to prove my address. I did all that twice, plus I racked up over 20 hours with their CS department over the phone.

My accounts still locked, $3,500 is in it that I'll never get. I couldn't send out the ebay items, or refund peoples money because my account was limited and locked so people left me negative feedback (even though I told them, and they've gotten there money back from paypal buyer complaints which I told them to file). So my ebay accounts ruined. And I'm out all that money.

6. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

omg, note to self: dont use paypal, 3.5k is harsh, sue them?

7. XUntitled

I have my name on two class action lawsuits. I doubt I'll see the money ever again though. To anyone that uses paypal...

• Don't leave a lot of money in your account
    • Always get delivery confirmation on all shipments (even if your getting the item shipped to you)
    • Have the account linked only to a bank account you don't leave money in (a dummy account you fund when you need to transfer money to paypal)
    • And only have a prepaid credit card on file with paypal.
    • If your a seller, don't accept credit cards as payment. Charge backs are a bitch and paypal will take the lose of money out on you, not the person that filed the charge back.

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Can we know how much money this is about?
    Did you put up a re-adress on the package? If it didn't get there, then it should get back to you... ?

No experience, so won't give much advice. But if you offered insurance and they didn't take it, then I guess you are in the clear? (not sure how all of this works)

GL
    L

9. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

the only thing i suggest is that if youve put a returns address on the parcel then wait up to say 4 weeks for it to get back to you and if not i think your gonna have to refund the cash mate, as if youd have got proof of delivery etc you would have covered yourself, maybe thats what you need to do each time now though :)

but there are genuine cases of mail going missing, so maybe its that. if the buyer has nothing to hide then they wont mind waiting for it to be resolved, they might be a bit put out, but i think its fair to ask them to wait a little before refunds etc are made.

10. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Its not a massive sum of money, but £50 is something I don't want to lose. Should have used recorded delivery, don't know why I didn't.
    You reckon it will get back to me in 4 weeks if it was undelivered? Royal Mail are pretty ********, I got a letter yesterday date stamped July 1st.

I'm going to see if they are willing to hold on for a while, but still don't know if they are just ripping me off. Will phone RM like XUntitled said and see if they can figure anything out.