1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Ebuyer Misleading Customers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 9 Dec 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've used Ebuyer a lot in the past, and always found them to be efficient and helpful. Some of my purchasing decisions on less mainstream items have been made on the basis of user reviews.

However, they have been found guilty by the ASA of filtering reviews to make products look more favourable to potential buyers. They claim this filtering service is designed to help make reviews more 'useful' to customers, but this causes me to raise an eyebrow.

I'm not saying, don't buy from eBuyer, but this is definitely something all should be made aware of.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Sounds like something OCUK would do :/

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Personally, I don't go by reviews on shopping sites. I'd rather do my research first on a site I trusted, like bit, then go and find where I could buy it from for the cheapest amount.

tbh, most shopping site reviews are full of reviews like "OMG! I bought this wired router but it doesn't show up in Windows WiFi list. This is a crap product, I'm never buying from here again!!!11!!!one!!!"

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

ive used ebuyer in the past but over the last year or 2 ive used them less and less due to;

1) rubbish cutsomer service
    2) prices have shot up they used to be the cheapest by far
    3) had both my brothers and my account blocked !!! they so far wont unblock them as i can never talk to anyone about sorting it

i used to recommend but id say go to scan, aria (rubbish service but good prices) instead

5. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Ebuyer have remained excellent for me, but I very much doubt that any site with user reviews doesn't filter them to an extent, besides perhaps Amazon (MW3 reviews on the preorder anyone?).

I don't go on user reviews on the site I'm buying from anyway - way too easy for them to filter in this manner. Just find professional reviews, or if those are lacking forum user reviews.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

luckily with computer and AV tech there are loads of proper reviews to check what you need. I doubt I have ever used a computer etailer when I have not know exactly what I was looking for.

7. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

woah, i thought those guys were to busy raping each other asses to do something like that :D

as for ebuyer well i buy there sparingly, never trust peoples reviews always use proper hardware reviews.

8. mejobloggs

mejobloggs What's a Dremel?

Out of interest, where are good places to shop?

I'm new to UK/London and haven't found what the good PC stores are yet

9. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

http://www.scan.co.uk/ is popular and if you link your forum account with your scan account you get free next day deliveries on orders over a certain amount.

There's http://www.ebuyer.com/ I used to use them until I found scan which I have used ever since.

http://www.aria.co.uk/ Never used it my self but it's one of the popular ones on this bored.

They are the only three I can think of.

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Aria have useless customer service. RMAs are like pulling your own testicles off with a piece of razor wire.

11. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

There is always YoYoTech. They are rarely the cheapest, but their shop is just off Tottenham Court Road if you're in London. I've never had a problem with them.

12. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

You've made me cry. :waah:

This mainly for me. Definitely used to be cheapest. Amazing prices on
    so much stuff and deals were good too.
    However Customer Service has always ( and still is ) amazing from them
    in my experience so far.
    Maybe i'm one of the lucky ones. :)

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Doesnt surprise me. Only 2 reviews and nearly all positive for items on their site gives it away. If im in doubt i always contact the manufactures and ask on forms.

14. Rustypouch

Rustypouch What's a Dremel?

I can't stand paying £8.95 onwards for P+P from eBuyer. How can it cost them more (sometimes double)to send me packages than other sellers? Thankfully CCL Online and Scan are forum partners and give us free delivery! I am still in the huff with Scan though, I don't trust you guys.

15. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I had a free delivery coupon with them so I ordered a sound card at 10.59pm to test their 11pm deadline for next day delivery.

The sound card was in my hands within 13 hours. Maybe they've got their faults, but I've not experienced them yet.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Even SCAN got in a sticky situation much like this. Their case involved HUKD (HotUKDeals.com) and have been banned ever since they were found manipulating promotions onto the site.

17. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I always do the internet leg work before buying. I live near Scan so can collect from the counter. I used to use Ebuyer a lot as they were cheaper than Scan. I have had a few RMA returns with both, both sorted the problem for me, although I've found Scan try to send you to the manufacturer, instead of sorting the problem themselves. I discovered I had 2 accounts with Ebuyer at one time, due to me using Google Checkout for discounts. Once we worked out what had happened, they were very helpful. I've also been to Aria, but have found their prices to be higher, generally. Currently, I'm looking at buying an Archos tablet, so I'm checking reviews on as many sites as I can find, before buying.

18. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

That means nothing. They pay delivery company x to pick up stuff from warehouse at say midnight, for next day delivery. I could pay delivery company x to do the same thing, but it would cost me more because im not moving lorry loads every day.
    Keep a few staff on at the warehouse to load up next day orders late evening, let everything else wait until the morning to be sent out.

19. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Lots of people were hating on Ebuyer (for good reason) so I thought I'd tell a nice story to cheer everybody up since it's nearly Christmas!

Is nobody happy I got a new sound card?

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'm happy for you, a much underrated upgrade a sound card! :thumb: