1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage ECC, Read & Seek errors on HDD? (weirdest smart data ever)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by boiled_elephant, 12 May 2016.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Anyone have an idea what Hardware ECC Recovered, Raw Read Error Rate and Seek Error Rate might imply in the SMART values of a hard drive? By themselves?

That is, the drive is physically fine. It tests ok in a block-by-block scan, such as HDTune or the manufacturer's own Seatools. Ran all the Long tests in Seatools, it checked out, but it has huge counts for these other values. It also gave a few very slow boots, corrupted some files on a reboot and then required a repair install.

There's a small entry under the G-sense thing to indicate a drop, but that's neither new nor enough to explain the drive's behaviour and the sheer number of ECC/Read/Seek errors.

I'm baffled, and not sure whether to put it back into service or scrap it. Or perform an exorcism. I'm trying to think of an explanation that doesn't involve the drive being physically faulty, and can't (it definitely isn't the controller or the laptop itself, as it's now cloned onto an SSD and working fine).

[​IMG]

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nothing to worry about: Seagate's raw data for a bunch of SMART stats are way, way off. Basically, Seagate stores the values in a different way to the SMART standard that everyone else uses, so you get these massive numbers when it actually means "0" or "4" or whatever. There's a good explanation here.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

This man speaketh the truth! Seagate drive are well known for using comical numbers. To be honest a lot of the SMART data isn't really that helpful. The big ones are pending sector count and reallocated sector count.

As long as it's passed testing I'd be more than happy to put it back into use.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Tyvm guys, I've learnt something!