1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Eccentric or just plain weird?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 22 Dec 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

2. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Weird. Definitely weird. And kind of creepy too.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Meh, life's too short to worry about other peoples' weird and (apparently) harmless fetishes.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

^^ This +1

I don't really care what other people get up to (whether it's weird fetishes, religion or whatever) as long as they don't expect me to join in :)

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

As someone who delves into the deep parts of the internet, i've seen much much creepier things. These wierd fetishes are normally harmless as far as i'm aware. Unless furries start killing people.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Is it wrong that I'm reading this thread aloud to my team of furries, whilst firmly wrapped in a rubber exoskeleton with comedy breasts, all the while hanging form the ceiling attached via four meat hooks threaded through the muscles in my back with a giant red ball stuffed in my mouth?

Typing this (and reading aloud for that matter) posed a problem for me, but I overcame it.

:worried:

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

if you're going to take the time and effort to squeeze yourself into a rubber suit - it might as well have boobs.

8. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It's all so 'Last year' darling...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That's definitely sig-worthy.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Reunited after all those years, it was a heart-warming moment...

[​IMG]

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Sig worthy? I think that might have just become Quote of the Year :D :naughty:

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The whole thing comes down to a wish to feel wanted and desired.

There is a brief mention of a character in a Sci-Fi cyberpunk story (can't remember which): a Russian general who after retirement manages to get his brain downloaded into a vat-grown body of a young woman before embarking on a career as an assassin. The narrator concludes that it makes sense: nothing makes even the most powerful men feel as weak as the desire for an attractive woman (which is why, incidentally, so many men behave like condescending shits towards women --they're overcompensating); the general wants to feel as powerful as the object of his desire.

In the cyberpunk story Mosquito this idea is elaborated on more, with a Thai lady boy going to great surgical lengths to resemble Cartier Dolls, female androids made by various fashion houses which are "not women, but men's fantasy of women" (he also has fangs with a genetically engineered fast-acting Malaria virus that can kill a client in mere seconds following a bite, should he become abusive. Hence his nickname).

Furries wish to be desired for their cuteness. Catgirls are certainly a recurring theme in Japanese anime, but also in Sci-Fi novels like Lucifer's Dragon. In the Well of Souls space opera series (amongst many plot points) some mad scientist creates his ideal slaves: young women with horse's tails (they manage to liberate themselves and evolve into their own matriarchal society).

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Not quite, knowing a couple of furries whilst I can't say for certain what goes through their heads as it's really not my thing the ones I've spoken to [in and out of fur suit] it's definitely not that...

I know some do it to mask anxiety issues... Being a jittery wreck with a stutter doesn't matter too much when you're dressed as... whatever... Then of course one of the ones I know only does it because their boyfriend is into it...

Ultimately though, what people get up to in their private lives is their affair... No-one's forcing you into a fur-suit [also - those costumes are pretty expensive]...

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Thanks, now I'm going to be thinking of this every time I put my wetsuit on. :p

That aside, It doesn't seem that much different from sports fans who wear the jersey's of their favorite players or even business attire. In all cases people are using clothing to make a statement about who they are, or who they want to be.

15. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Thought I'd put my 2 penneth in here.
    "Furry" is an interest - think comic book fans/trekkies etc. It's less about acceptance and more about expression, and is more than just the fuzzy costumes that capture the media attention. It's a wide umbrella term covering all kinds of fans of anthropomorphs, ranging from those that just like the art, to those who have the costumes.
    And if you ask them why they participate, the vast majority will respond with some variant of "because it's fun! :D".

And it is ;)

16. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Been waiting to play as a femme fatale cyborg assassin.

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

You may be somewhat qualified to comment, however I think that is a rather gross simplification and generalisation of something that is actually quite complex and diverse.

Anyway, I'd just like to side with what most have said here. It may not be my particular cup of tea, but if it doesn't do any harm then I have absolutely no problem with it. Indeed the sort of people that try to attack others just because they think they are weird or make them feel uncomfortable are the problem.
    If it's not doing any harm and it's none of your business:
    [​IMG]