1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ECS Hydra Watercooled 9800 GTX+ SLI pack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Oct 2008.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I think I found the main difference, looking at the pics they have they never actually had the bigwater in the 5,25" slots, but outside the case, which would explain due to the controllable fan why they didnt run into the noise issue and ofcourse the temps where also lower which made the wc kit look better than it is.

EVGA used to do exactly that, but those days are over since they started manufacturing their own waterblocks, sure you can buy a card with a wc block from them now to get the benefit of warranty with wc, but nothing compared to the old days when they teamed up with innovatek to create this. (link doesnt work in opera for some reason, stupid tomshardware).

Last edited: 9 Oct 2008
  2. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

rubbish product really, but a nice article harry, i especially like the closing sentence on the article too. Nice work

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

cheers :)

It's always nice to review a good product, but when the stinkers come along it can be a little frustrating -when the pwm heatsinks started falling off i genuinely could not believe what i was seeing.

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

They should be ashamed of producing such crap. What did you do about it though? I wouldn't feel comfortable running them without the PWM heatsinks but if that is how it came then maybe you should live with it.
    Oh well, a brilliant example of companies catering to idiots who fall for the SLI = better and water = better (obviously it is in some case but you get what I mean)

Out of interest, why have you removed the 9800GX2 from your lists? I noticed you said you had stopped testing it but surely it should be very similar to this combination? Or maybe that's why you aren't testing it...

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The votes are in (COUNTING) and we have it lady and gents. This product is utter crap. What can you expect. Thermaltake + water cooling in the same sentence is always going to end badly.

6. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Hear Hear..
    I have never used a TT product. After hearing so much about how s**te they were and having a few people i know faceplant the desk voluntarily because of the disappointment. I swore never to touch any of their products.

7. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Unfortunatly, I deal alot with ECS products at my shop. We have a Fry's store nearby, and when asked to replace a bad, (factory-out of warranty), mobo for a customer on the cheap side, well, ECS is the king of the cheap pile at our local Fry's. I can't say their boards fail anymore than anyone else'; but I can say the options you get vs. $20 -$50 more on another board are big jump. But due to customers wanting it done fast and cheaply as possible, ECS gets it there. If we could wait on shipping, and throw in a little change, sure we would build/replace with a board that offers more features/warranty. But the store has make a profit at the same time, and ECS offers that. But when a customer wants a machine for his gamer kid, or to compete against his gamer kid, well, then we can wait for shipping and price usually allows a decent system.
    This being said, it made me very uneasy reading an article about anything that contained water and ECS in the same sentance. While it sounds like there was no issue with leaking, (bonus point 1), and was easy/fast to slap together, (point 2), I was not surprised to hear that the heatsinks FELL OFF during testing, (negative 30).

I couldn't possibly imagine, that if one of my customers bought that (with not reading any reviews or knowing much about hardware), and it fell apart during the first gaming session at their house; those poor cusotmer service people would probably cry and quit after getting yelled at for this kit. If this kit ever hit the shelves in it's current form,,, I think I would cry a little, because I know someone would come walking through my shop doors and ask me to install it. At least know I would know to make them sign a release form before hand :(

Tags: Add Tags