1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ECS KN1 SLI Extreme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Nov 2005.

1. yyrkoon

yyrkoon New Member

Well, the main reason i was looking at this board, is because its the only socket 939 board that supports eSATA(that im aware of), and has a sil 3132 RAID controller onboard.

For those of you who arent familiar with WHY im interrested in these features, well, can you say Port Multiplier ?

Most other socket 939 solutions would require a PCI-Ex Host adapter, which would in turn Limit your Disk throuput to 2.5Gbit (theoretical), Also adding the cost of the Host adapter, which the best price ive found so far is around 49.99 USD.

Now, I wonder if anyone of you can enlighten me as to whether this board is actually capable of supporting the above Port multiplier or not, or is this a marketing ploy by ECS, or some misinformation that Ive read somewhere else.

Would be really nice IF i could purchase this board, and not worry about the Host controller for Obvious reasons :)

EDIT: hmmm well my mistake, seems the onboard RAID controller is a sil 3112, however my question still stands. bummer :( (Im guessing it wont support the multiplier)

Last edited: 7 Dec 2005
  2. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe has the Sil 3132 controller on it. There is eSATA and a port located next to the PCI-Express x4 slot above the blue PCI-Express x16 slot.

3. yyrkoon

yyrkoon New Member

Thanks, ill check it out, btw did i mention before that your avatar is both sickening and hillarious at the same time ? lol, nearly caused me to spit Juice all over my monitor first time i saw it :)

EDIT: I think I may go with This
    Instead. I've been a Hardcore ABIT user for years, felt kind of funny thinking about using an ECS board, but it offered what I wanted, UNTIL seeing that ABIT board :) Who knows, maybe by the time I'm ready to buy, a plethora of suitable motherboards will be availible :) Also, the last (and possibly final) ASUS boards I purchased over 4 years ago ( THREE OF THEM) were bad out of the box, so . . .

Last edited: 7 Dec 2005
  4. triquach

triquach New Member

i have two question about this board. Are the front usb connectors extremely dangerous? I heard from various sources that the front usb connectors is a death trap (the blue screen). When people plugged in their usb devices to the front usb connectors, they get this blue screen and the system won't post anymore after restart. Another question regards about: can someone try this to confirm if this is only due to a bad batch?

sources from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135203

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No idea sorry, never tested them. It's not something that tends to be a usual question and the boards gone back to ECS months ago.

Tags: Add Tags