1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Edit. 32"+ monitor suggestions £500 or less budget.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 28 Oct 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Last edited: 30 Oct 2015
  2. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I would go with Dell. Expensive, but it was on my mind for some time.
    After that, AOC 32", then BenQ. Skip LG.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers Mike that is the way I was leaning, well where the Dell was concerned. Now to see if my other half will come up with some cash as I have a birthday next month and Christmas is close also. But I suspect she want to buy me clothes or some such unneeded rubbish.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Frig me that Dell is gorgeous.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think so too.

Just casually asked the good lady what she intended to get me for my birthday and joy of joy she says she had no idea but what was I wanting to which I replied cash. All I have to do is get it earlier than the end of next month.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I'm in the same camp as you man. My wife never lets me spend her money on crap :D

Seriously, when I got my AMD 7990 for my 40th I had to sulk for over a week lol.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As it looks like the 34"Dell will be my next monitor I have a question regarding the fact that it is curved. If you have a couple or more word docs side by side are they going to look weird, will the text look OK?

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I heartily recommend the U3415W. Got one a few months back and it's a lovely screen.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

And my question about word docs or more being opened side by side? You will know exactly how that looks?

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'll take a picture when I get home later? That way you can see for yourself.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers mate, appreciate it.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Okay so I can't really get the text to show up nicely in a way that shows what I mean. However, the curve does nothing towards making anything look weird - the curve is very very gentle. Word documents and browsing looks just like it does on a "normal" flat monitor.

[​IMG]
    This is the U34 next to a U2415H.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers for that. Cracking looking screen,I get a real feel for it with your image rather than the professional images on review aand sellers site.
    I was told over at OCUK that "Curved for 34" UW is much preferred, than a non-curved. A curved monitor provides a more natural image. Non-curved looks height stretched at the ends. This is due to the curved nature of the eye."

So I think we are good.

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm really sorry Glenn - for what I'm going to write now:)

Again, I can't be more happy using this screen. I know you settled for 34" but I'm gonna slightly push again the idea of this 40":D

Please read another bit-techer's impression after buying and using this monitor - rainbowbridge bought it and is so happy with it. Please read it here.

I got new desk top yesterday and mounted it - so now I sit little bit further from it - about 70cm.
    That means I see the whole screen without moving my head around to see the very corners of it.

I played another 10 hours on it - Witcher and MGS5, Far Cry 4. This IS in my opinion, best screen for gaming experience for gamers like us - what mean by this, for gamers that are not sensitive to 40 vs 140fps in games, freaks that need to have over 100fps just to play Tetris...

Curve option - I think it's a simple marketing gimmick just to get more money of it - I know the whole science behind eye shape and screen shape etc - this is realy such a small difference, plus nowadays our eyes adopted itselves to the flat screens, that you won't notice any improvement.

Plus with 40" 4K you can set ultra wide resolution to have 100% exact experience of wide 34" - it simply adds black bars above and below. It will also save some power on your GPU, if you decide not to run it on full 4K.
    I know that you may need 980Ti to run it without hickups, but if you lower some settings just a bit in more demanding games, you will be fine too.
    34" will be simply wider 27", which you aready have. I think difference is 20cm in width. So you simply adding 10cm bits on both sides - don't think it's enough to get more immersed in game.

Sorry for messing up in your head again Glenn, but I can't stop praising this monitor enough.
    I'm only sharing with you what I really experiencing - do you remember first time using SSDs and seeing how fast those were? Saying "Holy sh**!!!" when Windows loaded so quickly and other software uploaded in a blink of an eye?
    Playing your favourite games on this 40" will shock you again. NO DOUBT...

Last edited: 1 Nov 2015
  15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks for that Mike, I think.
    I suspect that your review is tainted in that you are using a 980Ti where as I have only it's lowly cousin the 980.:D
    I do have the space for it as I have a massive desk 1450 x 850 but I also have, radiation fibrosis so prefer to keep head movement to a minimum and I wonder if I will need to do this given the size of the screen?
    I have till Wednesday to make a decision as hopefully that is when I am likely to have the cash. Where did you get yours from by the way?

Going to get other opinions from other forums.

16. Crossy

Crossy What's a Dremel?

This thread really is scrambling my mind! Having just bought the parts for my new PC im now looking for a new monitor. Coming from a 22" Samsung 22bw @ 1680 x 1050 im needing something to compliment my shiny new MSI 980ti. Originally was going to get a 27" 2560 x 1440 normal monitor, then had my heart set on a 34" LG curved widescreen. Then a 32" BenQ 1440p.

Now im really looking at that Phillips 4k!!

How does the Phillips 4k fare against a 4:4:4 chromo 4k TV? A Samsung ju6500 for example?

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

See, I get that the Phillips is a nice screen, but for me it has too many flaws right now. The main one is colour - it's a VA panel, not IPS, and dear me do I care about those things. The Dell U3415W is simply more colour accurate and a better quality panel. Plus the 40" is actually too big for desktop use (though nice for gaming).

Yes the 34"is a 27" with bits added on the side, but it really does make a difference. The wider FOV really helps with games that support it.

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I bought mine at OCUK - last week I paid £529, 2 days after price went up to £559.
    Scan has it for £550 now.

For maximum experience I guess 980Ti is a must.
    With 980 you may need to lower settings a bit in most depmanding games, like Witcher 3.

Far Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 5, Elite etc - with 980Ti and ALL settings maxed out I get constant 60fps, like it was stuck in that speed:) Only Witcher 3 can dip down to 30s.

Dell curved 34" is for what - £640?

For that price you should be able to sell your 980 and get 40" + 980Ti :thumb:
    Unless I don't know how much those vanilla 980s go for...:worried:
    If I could suggest - my very own card - 980TI Palit Super Jeststream - factory OCed version. Scan has it for £527. - That's with free game - you can sell the game code for £20 and get the card for £507 in total.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As I have only had Dells these last few years I tend to agree about colour and quality but I know also that I will want to go 4K at some point.

I am so undecided, ideally I would like to have these screens side by side. And then make a decision.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am not sure of your maths as I too do not know the price of a 980 second hand. But I suspect I would need quite a bit more. I will see what I could get for mine over on the Marketplace.