1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Edit. 32"+ monitor suggestions £500 or less budget.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 28 Oct 2015.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

A 980 will generally sell for around £270. A second hand TI on the other hand will sell for £420.

TBH I find this rather misleading. There is no way on earth that a 980ti can give you a maximum experience at 4k. In most recent titles you will need to run a mixture of medium-high settings. The only game I have comfortably maxed out at 4k that I have tried is Mad Max and it's not the best looking game I have ever played.

4k takes serious power . Power so high we still have not seen a single card that can properly take care of it. For that you would need to double the power of the 980ti which is hopefully going to come in the guise of "Pascal" or whatever it's called.

Can a 980TI deliver a very nice and rewarding experience at 4k? yes, yes it can, but maximum is nothing but a pipe dream. 4k will make mince out of pretty much every GPU that exists right now.

2. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I disagree. I've run about 7 latest games and all can be played with no issues.
    As I mentioned - only Witcher 3 went down to 32-35fps with all settings on UBER, including AA, nvidia hair etc. I have turned AA and hair off and other few options, which I don't see a difference on/off, so were not needed.
    That is why I say 980Ti is enough to drive 4K - based on all games I played and all reviews of 980Ti that showed that all games can be played with this card in 4K.
    I'm sure you can find something that will push lower than 30fps, but I think 30fps is enough to enjoy gaming.

By max experience - I meant for now, it is a max you can use to drive that monitor. ALso, by max I mean single card. I know it is not max performance - next nvidia card will run all games at 4K with 50-60fps+.

3. Vault-Tec

Since when did 32FPS become acceptable?

I game on a PC to get away from it ! not to be stuck at it. Given your monitor has a 60hz refresh rate you should be aiming for 60 FPS, not 30. And because your card has about half of the power needed for it you are not getting there.

I agree that you don't need AA with 4k, though. But one 980ti is not enough for maximum settings at 4k. Cryis 3 for example will leave a 980ti weeping in the corner.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2015/05/31/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/5

Minimums, without any AA are 26. That is not acceptable. The only person I have seen use AA at 4k is AMD Matt, and he has four AMD Fury X cards.

So as I said, 4k needs double the power that is available from the top tier cards now before, to me at least, it will be acceptable.

I'm not arguing that a game can not be played at 30 FPS, I'm just saying 30 FPS sucks and is not enough.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I feel that if I am going to buy a 4K screen then I need a GPU to do it justice and I don't think the 980Ti is the card to do it for me anyway.

I am also concerned with my radiation fibrosis and the 40" screen will require me to tilt my head more than I would like given the pain it would cause.

So I think I will stick to the Dell

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I disagree - I think 30fps is enough, at least for me - I don't see the difference between 30fps and 100fps. Both rates are smooth.
    If 30fps wasn't enough, camera manufacturers wouldn't use that speed as a main settings for video recording.
    Anyway, human eye cannot see beyhond 60fps right?
    I know 60fps is desireable, but to be honest 30+ fps is enough to enjoy the game.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2015
  6. Vault-Tec

Hopefully I got that right.

I understand that you are excited about your new purchase. I was too when I took delivery of two Titan Blacks last year (costing £1400) and a shiny 4k monitor. However, now that the dust has settled I have realised that gaming at 30 FPS is far from ideal, especially PC gaming. Consoles are designed and coded to run at 30 FPS, however, that FPS is consistent and there are not dips.

PC games are erratic at best, and the dips between FPS are most certainly noticeable to me.

However, the underlying fact here is that gaming at 30 FPS sucks. There's no way of buttering it up, 4k kills GPUs stone dead. So much so that even the highest end and most expensive GPUs are brought to their knees at 4k. That's not me being a dick it's just fact and I feel that in your excitement you are giving out bad advice.

I'm very happy that you feel 30 FPS is enough for PC games. However, I, and most of the population don't feel that way and I feel you are trying to talk Glenn into buying what you have just because you are excited.

Please, don't let your purchases cloud your judgement.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Not sure where you're getting the "consoles" are designed and coded to run at 30fps without dips? The Xbone is renowned for running many games sub 30fps at times, and both the PS4 and Xbone also have titles that run at 60fps. It's all down to the choice the developers make.

Mind you, I wouldn't want my PC running at 30 anyway.

8. Vault-Tec

Console games generally tend to stick to their set frequencies, though. IE, a console game running synced at 30hz and thus 30 FPS tends to pretty much remain solid at 30 FPS. A PC game on the other hand? well look at the results on Crysis 3. I have games on my PC that run at 4k at 60 FPS. The problem is they don't always stay there, and it's the dips you will notice.

Gsync and Freesync aid with this about as much as they can but neither are perfect. So the answer is basically to have a GPU that can keep a game running at a pretty solid 60 FPS. And that's not happening with this generation. Right now 4k gaming is barely doable on a single 980ti/Fury X/Titan X and so on. With two it's much better but then there are the pains of running more than one GPU.

So as I maintain, 4k gaming for right now is not quite there yet. It's close, and if you are prepared to make sacrifices (and you will) then you can get a good look into the future but it won't be until a single GPU can pretty much double the FPS of one now until it will work properly.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No they really don't. Go read Digital Foundry and you'll find scores of console games that drop to sub 30fps on a regular basis.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think I am going to struggle to afford the Dell so what of this AOC U3477PQU

But I have not given up on the Dell.

11. Vault-Tec

I've got an AOC 27" 1080p passive 3D screen on my lady's rig and it's spiffing.

Very nice quality monitor.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think I am going to have to sell someone's newborn to afford the Dell given the reviews I have watched/read on various monitors it seems to be ahead of the rest.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am tempted by the Acer Predator X34 34" Curved WQHD G-Sync Monitor and by adding a chunk of the cost to my credit card I could afford it. Or should I stay with the Dell 34"?

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

In which direction, in its widest it is not an issue, I don't know what your fibrossis thingy means to your flexibility though.

Dell 21:9 is 83cm wide, the 40inch is 90cm wide so extra 3.5 cm per side, If you are 1 ft off of the screen yes you'll have to tilt your head on both but at a reasonable distance, i am at 66cm from mine, I require no head movement, with the 40 on a proper stand you can raise to a level such that top to bottom is good also.

regarding 30/60/120 fps its all about how a game has been programmed and control responsiveness, console games tend to be optimised to the lower end and therefore work well there, PCs less so, as consoles developers know what they are working with you can get that response nailled, I prefer Tombraider at 40-60fps on PS4 to my PC at well over double that, Same with Driveclub, great control input and feel of speed for 30fps, better than many of my PC racers.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Tilting my head in any direction is painful as fibrosis severely limits movement. Fibrosis is the replacement of normal tissue with scar tissue and I am concerned that I would need to move my head up and down to view the top of the screen comfortably.
    But that aside it is still a 4K monitor which my GPU will not do justice to and I have no plans to SLI the 980 any time soon.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

At the distance mentioned from the screen you just need to be able to move your eyes and you'll be fine. screen is 49cm high (51.5 inc frame) and as mention 90cm wide, do a cardboard cutout and stick it in your environment see how it feels, place some text on cutout at various places and see how you feel focusing on it. Simples.

Monitors last ages GPUs are disposable, next year no doubt a £150 card will piss over 4k.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Bought the Dell, end of story.

Thanks for everyone's contribution and advice to this thread.

18. Vault-Tec

Congrats dude :) pics !!!

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Not exactly a bad chioce at any rate :D

20. Vault-Tec

Yes, completely this.

This is what I was trying to explain when I was talking about consoles.