1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Eee PC driver support questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mother-Goose, 16 Mar 2008.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I've decided, that, come May, I want to get an Atom powered eee pc. For what I want it for, it's perfect, however, I do have a few questions.

Obviously the internal storage is somewhat limited, but it does have usb, does this mean I could plug in any usb pen into it and it'll work? How about a western digital passport? (for example)

And what about playing media such as xvid, divx and other avi files, will they play without any trouble?

I've done a bit of googeling but remain unclear on some of these points so what I've asked above it pretty much everything i want to know before purchasing one.

TIA.

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You've done googling but don't know if USB pens work in it?

Your googling skills would seem to lack actually using google.

Yes, Yes, Not every codec but VLC and/or millions of guides will easily fix that - in that order.

3. Mother-Goose

Ah sorry let me put it another way, I know some will work in it, but I couldn't make out if any usb pen would do it had to specific models

Edit:

I've done more googeling and still i'm non plussed, maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing, I'm searching for usb pen+eee pc, and I don't really get much in the way of help over the first 3 pages.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

try the words flash drive. Or USB key.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yes, any pen drive will do. The USB slots are full USB 2.0 - and I've never heard of things not being automounted by the default OS.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

USB memory sticks are pretty generic in terms of driver requirements - as are most external storage devices. But "USB pen" is really the wrong search term - my first thought was something along the lines of a Wacom tablet. Pen drive should work better ;)

7. Mother-Goose

aha this makes sense, I was having one of those "I can' t think of what else to call this" moment, cheers guys.

I'm also glad that there isn't an issue with it. Do you expect this to be the same with an external usb hdd such as the WD Passport or a Seagate Freeagent? I can't see why it wouldn't be from what you have said.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

All the following work perfectly in my Ubuntu 8.04a6 driven EeePC:-

Pendrives - 256Mb Kingston, 512Mb PNY & 2GB Maxell
    HDDs - 300GB Maxtor, 250GB Freecom & a home built 40GB 2.5" drive (drive from dead laptop + £5 case from computer fair).

In short, everything I've plugged in just works.