1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling EK Nickle Plated Waterblock Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MaD_ColiN, 14 Sep 2011.

1. MaD_ColiN

MaD_ColiN What's a Dremel?

Hey folks.

I have one of the apparently faulty waterblocks from EK. Its a EK-FB EVGA X58 CLASSIFIED fitted to a EVGA Classified3 motherboard. The loops been active since around the middle of December 2010. The loop is running standard distilled water along with a biocide and silver killcoil. I’ve checked all the tubing and the reservoir for signs of this flaking issue and cannot see anything obvious. I guess there would be some evidence in either of these places of dark particles in the water, but cannot see anything. The water is still perfectly clear with no signs of residue. As it’s an Acetal top, the only way to check it properly is to drain the system and dismantle it.

It’s been running fine since December, and I’m a bit hesitant just to disassemble it to check. What sort of damage is this flaking actually going to do? Is it actually going to affect anything significant, surely all its doing is exposing the copper underneath, which isn’t that big a deal surely? Is this just an aesthetic issue? I get it could damage the pump, but I’ve not noticed anything.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2011
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Well, depending on your loop setup, it can block CPU blocks, clog rads and wear out pumps. Although, when I found my GPU block had started doing this I hunted through my system to find the flakes and couldn't see them anywhere, so i assume they're in the rad somewhere...

Tags: