News EK Water Blocks launches M.2 NVMe SSD heatsinks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 6 Jul 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

2. proxess

proxess Active Member

Even with weak airflow it's still probably WAY better than "heat shields" that some motherboard manufacturers are releasing (looking at you, MSI).

3. Mankz

Mankz 5318008

Wow, an EK product that isn't stupidly expensive.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I had a little feel-up of the PCH/M.2 heatsink on my z270i last night... That thing gets WARM. I don't know if that's because it's working well or not though - I haven't noticed any obvious signs of the 960 throttling, but that might be because it's such a rapid drive that even if it did, it'd be hard to notice in anything but synthetic benches?

5. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Benchmarks apply a sustained load for a far longer period of time than real world use ever will, so heat and throttling are far bigger concerns in benchmarks than real life.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude Flying Dutchman

To be fair, my SM951 would idle in the mid to high 60s and easily reach into the 80s under gaming loads. Putting a basic VRM heatsink on it brought those idle temps down and load temps were still below where it idles without the chunk of metal stuck to it. Perfect. :)

Even now as it is under my second GPU, the drive barely gets into the 50s. The airflow from the GPU, albeit warm air, actually cools it off quite nicely.

Tags: Add Tags