1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics EL and Inverters

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Twyst, 29 Nov 2003.

1. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

So I just got an LCD display, with an EL backlight. Took me a few tries, but I got it all working.

For the EL backlight, I used a little inverter that I had sitting around, that was used to power a little neon tubey thing (It was originally a car neon light). Now, it lights up the EL backlight very nicely, but the sound coming from it worries me.

Basically, the inverter screeches. Loudly.. And the pitch slowly gets lower. It never did that when it was running the neon tube.. So I'm afraid of it going kaboom or something.

Should I disconnect the inverter, and get one that's specifically for EL? Or is this nothing to really worry about. I don't want to suddenly let all the magic smoke out of my LCD, computer, or inverter...

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :eeek:

3. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

So I take it disconnecting the inverter would be a good idea :rolleyes:

Simple enough. :) I haven't let it run long enough to find out if the inverter STOPS whining.. and it's currently turned off. So I'll just snip it off.

Note: it was an inverter for a neon tube, not a CCFL, which I know is a different beast entirely.

I guess I'll just buy some cheap EL wire and use that inverter. :D