1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Election 2004!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by MrBurritoMan, 4 Sep 2004.

?

Who do you support?

1. President George W Bush

36 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Senator John Kerry

27 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Another Person

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No-one

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. Not gonna say

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Well over here people don't use TV ads to campaign- the only time it's ever done is when the party itself pays for it- and then its only for the party, not individual candidates...

Sam

2. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Um... I don't think so. Islam and Christianity are two way different things. Allah != God.

3. Uncle Psychosis

Actually, a lot of Muslims and Christians (and other religions too) believe that there is just one "supreme being"- it's just that different religions have different names for "him/her/it" and different forms of worship...

Sam

4. Yo-DUH_87

There are also people who claim to be Christian that think that God will kill you if you're about to do something really stupid. While some people may believe it, it doesn't make it true, and doesn't mean everyone in that religion believes that way.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2004
  5. Uncle Psychosis

I'm assuming you mean "doesn't make it true..."

Anyway, let me get this straight:

Just because some people believe that God and Allah are the same, that doesn't make it right...

So, presumably, just because some people believe that God and Allah are different, by the same logic they aren't right either?

Thats the best thing about religion, you can twist it any way you like- which seems to be what a lot of people like to do...

Sam

6. Yo-DUH_87

Bah, the buffer between my brain and the keyboard must be lagging a bit, I'll make sure to fix that :wallbash:

Let me put it this way. The bible says certan stuff that disagrees with the book of islam. I don't believe that they are the same, and I am pretty sure that the official stance of most denominations is that way.

Unfortinately, some people will twist anything if it can be used for their purpose. Some people used the Bible as an excuse for slavery back a couple hundred years ago. Unfortinately they obviously didn't read the entire thing...

7. Uncle Psychosis

Or, it could just be that the whole thing is so damn vague and ambiguous that it can be taken to mean anything you want-

After all, if it were so clearcut then we wouldn't have about a zillion different sects just within Christianity- Protestants, Catholics, Wee Frees, 7th day Advent Hoppists, etc etc etc. Right?

Sam

8. Yo-DUH_87

It isn't vague if you read it all, however not many people (even Christians) take the time to do that.

And many of the different denominations are due to different personality styles. Not everyone can sit through a 3 hour Lutheran sermon without falling asleep.

Then there are the cults/sects that use certain parts of the bible to advance their beliefs. Mormons, Jehovah's witness, etc by ignoring the rest of it :rolleyes:

Isn't this thread about the elections? :blush:

9. Uncle Psychosis

"Thou shalt not kill"

"an eye for an eye"

It seems pretty hard to reconcile those two...

Sam

10. Yo-DUH_87

You are taking it out of context. The way the goverment was set up back in the days of Moses (as directed by God), the punishment for killing someone was death. And someone didn't just walk up and stab the accused after the trial, I think it was more along the lines of a public stoning.

11. Uncle Psychosis

Yes, but the bible doesn't say "thou shalt not kill...unless as a punishment". It says "thou shalt not kill". That seems pretty clear cut to me...

Anyway, I'll just assume for a minute that you are right and there is only one way to "properly" interpret the bible- which sect out there has got it right?

Or, to put it better- who are we to decide who has interpreted the thing properly?

Sam

12. Yo-DUH_87

There is also a law in most countrys that makes murder illegal. So is the man that flips the switch on the electric chair then arrested?

I pretty much think that it's the Protestants that have it down, although Catholicism isn't too far off. I guess it's a personal choice, and you get to see if you were right in the end.

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

In my (which I am sure you will say not-enlightened for the most part) opinion, no religion that you guys have likely ever heard of actually has it right. I think my church has got it right (United Church Of God, or UCG.org). As such, I dont support either candidate, as neither of them is a good leader for the nation. The politics in the Iraq war are hampering the effort, John Kerry is a waffling dumbass, George Bush is just, well, Bush. I would lean towards Bush because he has some true religious values-John Kerry feigns it. But of course, it also comes down to politics. Either way though, they both arent very good. :blah:

14. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

He used religious language to sell the Iraq war to the people and, in my mind, is nothing but another dangerous extremist.

15. Uncle Psychosis

Thou shall not kill. Not "murder", not "punish", but kill.

The bible doesn't say it's ok to kill someone as long as the Government says so- it says that you shall not take another person's life. No disclaimers. No ifs, no buts. It says that killing is wrong.

But who is to say that your interpretation is right? Why should I believe you anymore than I believe a wee free or a catholic or a russian orthodox?

Anyway, Protestants and Catholics both have it right? So why have they spent years killing each other?

Surely, if different sects within "christianity" can both take entirely different routes to worshipping the "same" God then it doesn't seem entirely unlikely that Muslims, Hindus, etc are just taking different routes of worshipping the same being?

Sam

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

So did the Spanish Inquisition. :D

17. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!! :lol:

Anyone catch the final debate today?

I think both of them looked like fools tbh, Dubya kept banging on about education most of the time whilst Ketchup Kerry kept going on about 'the upper 1% tax breaks' - apparently there's SO much money to be made from that, that he could solve all America's problems just by scrapping that policy :eeek:

/sarcasm

No offense at all intended when I say this, but I am so grateful I am not living in America, because I would not know who to vote for, they are both no-no's IMO.

18. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I watched the final debate and thought it was pretty good, much better than the first at least. I think the most important point was made after the debate, not by one of the candidates, not by any of the experts afterward... if anyone was watching CNN (yes, I caught myself watching it) in the background there were a lot of students in the live shot with political banners and posters. One very creative lad had made his own, hand-written, poster that simply exclaimed "Kerry Eats Babies" I laughed so hard, I had to change the channel. If anyone knows who that guy is, tell me how to get in touch with him so I can send him a bag of cookies. :hehe:

19. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Almost makes me wish that I watched the debate instead of the ballgame :lol:

However, I did see some "highlights" and have to agree with Lord_A about what I saw - especially Kerry. Most of the time he was asked a question, he spent 10 seconds on it and started spouting off things about repealing the tax breaks for the upper 2%. My god man, answer the damn question!

EDIT::
    I remember one of the things I was talking about now.. Kerry was asked how the US ended up with a flu vaccine shortage. He said nothing about the shortage but started babbling about his wonderful healthcare reform.

cnn.com has a transcript of the debate if anyone wants to read or browse it.

20. Uncle Psychosis

Every politician does that, sadly!

101 Rules for Politicians, #97

Never answer the question you've been asked. Always answer what you wish they'd asked

Lie your arse off

To be fair, I bet getting rid of tax breaks for those top 1% would actually eba stupidly huge amount of money...

Sam