1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Shock - Ouch!

Discussion in 'General' started by wilkyboy, 4 Mar 2006.

1. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Everytime I get home from school I touch the back of my case to get rid of the static electricity. I can get pritty big sparks sometimes...

2. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

I must have really dry skin or something, because it seems like every time I touch something, I get shocked. I've done as bad as touching the trackpad on my laptop and temporarily shorting the thing out before. Lightswitches are always a gamble too, although I think the worst shock I've ever gotten from static electricity was from my amp. I went to unplug my headphones, and the electricity actually arced over to my finger. Left a nice little burn mark (which I wasn't aware static electricity could do) and scared the bajesus out of me.

Worst shock ever had to have been in electronics class (oh, the irony). The irony gets worse: I was standing after class and the instructor was complimenting me on how quickly I finished the board I was working on, and how good my solder joints looked, etc. etc. I went to unplug the iron, and for some stupid reason, I accidentally wrapped my finger around the prongs on the plug. A tingling sensation, and I yoinked my arm back really quickly. Luckily he was turned around at the time, and must have only heard me moving my arm quickly. He asked me if I burned myself, and I told him I pinched my finger under the benchtop meter (rather weak excuse honestly, but it was all I could come up with at the time that wouldn't make me look like a total fool). Lucky for me I wasn't leaning against the 100% steel desk, which would have grounded me and possibly stopped my heart if I understand correctly :eek:

3. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Wow..... This thread is rapidly turning into a Darwin awards nomination page...LOL

On a side note...... Rule number 1 for working with PC's - Never ever ever plug/unplug anything in your PC while it's running. In fact, don't even stick your hand into the case.

Best case scenario, you get a shock, worst case, you fry the system. It doesn't take much. I remember when I was in school, I went to move a cable while my test system was running, and I just grazed the sound card - POOF - smoke started pouring out of the case. i didn't even feel the shock.

At least it was an old SB16 from the school, and not mine. LOL

4. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

I work with electricity and water, electric shocks really aren't anything new. (I don't get many as I’m not stupid, but the occasional shock is just an occupational hazard.)

5. coyote

coyote What's a Dremel?

My best shock was accidentally brushing the back of my hand on the 600 volt DC rail of a valve/tube amplifier. That's what's called "getting a belt" Now that's not fun. I burnt a hole in my hand the diameter of a pencil and was down to the muscle!

As you might guess, yes it hurt! and took months to heal up. I still have a scar to remind me to wear a pair of latex gloves when repairing and calibrating valve/tube amps.

Oh and never put a 9 volt battery on your tongue! :eeek:

6. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Shorted a CC iverter with my thumb a few years ago, that didn't reall hurt, just felt (strangely) really cool.

The smell of burning flesh haunted me for a few days though :(

Another one.

When I was about 10, we were on holiday in tunisia, and there was this pacman game, I was leaning on one of the metal bits on the edge of the unit, when all of a sudden, I was electricuted! Not sure how that happened.

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I've had some nice ones from disassembled PSUs; specifically the input filter capacitors, which are annoyingly easy to touch :wallbash:

8. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

My favourites . . .

Childhood curiousity and a lack of understanding of anything electrical, led me to wondering how bright a torch bulb would burn if wired directly to the mains. I set up the experiment using a kettle lead and two short pieces of wires to connect to the bulb. The bulb exploded rather dramatically, luckily no shock that time.

Probably about age 12 - needed to extend the cable of my bedside lamp. Layed out extra cable on the floor and worked out what I needed. Cut through the existing cable with a pair of scissors, those little fold-up metal ones, no plastic handles. The lamp was still plugged in!! BANG!! Very loud bang, charred scissors, black thumbnail and unbelievably no shock again! Very lucky there.

Working on my Mini about 6 or 7 years ago, checking and adjusting the ignition timing. Timing light plugged in, engine running - carefully turned the distributor to get the timing spot on, got it; nice. I then didn't think to turn off the engine while I tightened the distributor. Unfortunately as I turned the spanner the free end of it came round and touched the ignition coil - big spark and a massive electric shock up my arm - really really hurt like hell when it hit me - my arm was numb for a good 20 minutes afterwards.

I am a silly boy sometimes! :duh:

9. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

I've been getting static shocks off one of my cats all day, but not the other one!

10. dire_wolf

dire_wolf Last Of The Dovakhiin

I used to get electric shocks all the time from opening up cheap disposable cameras in my old photo processing job, man they sure hold a charge, you actually get burn marks off them on your skin :blush:

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Man you guys have some bad luck. I've moved a DVD drive to a different bay while the computer was on, and have unplugged and re-plugged fans while powered up, and had to wiggle around a loose wire on my pump to get it going again. Of course the latter really required it to be on, so I'd know it was actually going.

However I did burn myself making an electromagnet when I was about eight, and I've had this bizarre anxiety about any sort of heat generated directly from electricity (like heated car seats or blanket warming pads) ever since. Shame, too, since it gets *cold* where I live.

12. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

ahh, heat generated from electrical current? one of the stupidest things I have ever done was take a paperclip and trimp it arround the terminals of a D cell. :doh: I was trying to power a little motor, so I had the ends twisted onto the paperclip, thus allowing me to yank the rapidly heating paperclip off the battery without having to touch either cell or paperclip. I dont like heat generated by electricity either

13. HapeMask

HapeMask What's a Dremel?

My worst electronics-related incident was back when I was younger and still had my own soldering iron before I gave it to my dad. I had finished working with it and left it on the counter to cool off, and I thought I had unplugged it. Turns out I didn't, so when I came back 30mins later to put it away, I grabbed it by the element, a stupid idea anyway, and HSSSS. It was probably only a 1st or perhaps 2nd degree burn since I dropped it real fast, but I sure learned my lesson :)

14. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Ive been shocked so many times I cant remember them all. First one was @ 5years old and I was poking around in a 220v aoutlet. Shook me up good and made me rethink my ways.

I ocasionaly get shocked on the job as I wire up mains power internaly. Sometimes I have no choice but to wire up live wire.

The two worst ones were when I was leaning on a stainless steel plate and 220v went through my ars and out my elbows. That hurt like a mofo.

And the last one was when I was wiring up a autlet and I leaned my left hand on a water pipe, 110v went crossing my boddy when my hand sliped and I hit live current. I literaly felt electricity passing through my rite arm around my neck and out my left arm.

the funnies one was when i discharged a disposable camera cap by acident and it made my arm numb for 10 min and my hair stood on end.

FYI. those who recive severe shocks sometimes have a altered heart rate.

Also a good rule is to keep your left (if your a righty) or your right hand in your pocket when working with live wires.

I call it the pocket rule. Keeps you safe but work moves slower. And ofcourse wear some thick rubered working boots in a dry enviroment.

15. Xenred

Xenred What's a Dremel?

Simply a Typo My Friend ;)

and another thing, its a grammer error, not spelling ;) :)

16. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

So, you made tons of spelling and grammar mistakes. What does that make you, the world's biggest hypocrite?

I'm sick and tired of you five or six running around correcting each other when you can't even get posts correct yourselves. Why don't you all just agree that you can't construct a proper sentence and proofread your posts three or four times each?

17. Xenred

Xenred What's a Dremel?

It does make me a hypocrite yes, but not the worlds biggest.

EDIT: and now I think this is going too far, and personally I think the whole subject should be dropped.

18. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I regularly rummage around inside of my computer while it's on, adjusting fan wires and using the patented GhettoMax Temperature Sensor, aka touch things to see if they are hot.

The worst to were probably when my TruePower 430 was out for modding, so i had an un-cased 350w generic PSU sitting on my desk on a piece of plastic. It had slid a little towards my keyboard, so without looking or thinking, I grabbed it to pick it up and move it over. Not smart. Ended up grabbing the 120v line. At least I think it was 120v. It definetly pulsated. Think taking one of those big rollers you use for baking and having a 300lb guy roll up and down your arm with it.

Then there was this one time where I went to pull the chain on a lightbulb socket. It was an old socket and somehow the chain managed to get shorted to one of the AC lines. It hurt when I pulled it.

19. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Has nothing to do with PC's but i was changing a base board heater and my "helper" had to turn off the breaker switch.He did, but the wrong one so my screwdriver contacted the two wires by mistake and the discharge snapped it in half with a blinding Poof!!! A screwdriver the size of a regular BIC pen! Fortunately it also had a good unsulated handle :D

20. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

the worst was my mate dropping a spanner in my car engine bay and is bridged the battery terminals, melted the spanner to the battery...

i get super scared everytime im doing an audio install on someones car now...