1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Well, if you want a coherent, well-developed game at a modest outlay there is always Star Citizen-- oh, wait...

I really think that nowadays people expect too much, too soon and for too little.

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Well-Known Member

my appreciation of three dimensional space can do with some improvement,

up to rating 8 in cqc, I want that big slamming gun that whams you like a concussion wave when get hit, I think that's rating 9?

3. rainbowbridge

rank 12, seems the lasers are only affective under 1.0KM

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Anyone know a system/station around Lugh area that sells Vultures?

5. DraigUK

DraigUK Member

LTT 4846

6. DraigUK

DraigUK Member

Part 3 of my video PP guide/journey is up, having fun making them hope you enjoy them too.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Got one from Beta-1, so much better than my Cobra fire-power-wise, :D

8. Jehla

Jehla Member

Welcome to the last combat ship you will ever need*

*: unless you want to mass lock or chase down prey.

9. Jehla

Jehla Member

There is a fairly tasty trade route between LTT 8517 [Imp slaves - Vishweswarayya & Seega] and Teaka [Superconductors - Piercy terminal] for 3.5-4K credits per ton on a round trip.

The draw back is it's already popular and at peak times (time of posting) the Imp slave supply dries up, you can go to Hopkins to buy Imp slaves after selling at one of the other two, but it slows the trade route down.

The systems are 25.55ly apart ( I take a 15.2ly and 16ly jump).

10. rainbowbridge

For cqc i have found putting max energy to enginees, honing in to one foe attacking and double boosting away around station or astriods is a good tatic, if you get hung up on slowing down you get picked off, so its like the 190d energy fighter from ww2 in warthunder.

Is any one got a rediculasly high rank in cqc ?
    Any one disengage flight assist as a part of cqc battles,

Looking forward to higher rank ship capabilitys,

11. Ljs

Ljs Well-Known Member

Am I missing something?

I've enjoyed my time so far with the game (I have a kitted out Viper for bounty hunting and a Cobra for trading rares) but the game feels rather empty. I've enjoyed the fact I've had to learn things one way or another rather than the game holding my hand but there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason or in-game backstory to sympathise with who to ally with other than making a few credits and perhaps getting a discounted ship. It kind of lacks character quite heavily in that regard.

I've been doing the usual bounty hunting and a few rare trade circuits but other than grinding rep or deciding what ship to shoot for next I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do. I fancy trying out piracy as that seems like it could be fun but exploring would just be jumping around the place (the worst part of trading) just to see the same looking systems and for very little gain.

It feels like it's lacking depth.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2015
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm curious: I've seen several people say ED lacks depth and direction. Ljs, and anyone else who agrees: did you ever play Frontier: Elite II or Frontier: First Encounters? I ask because, as far as I can tell, ED as-is appears to be slightly - but not much - deeper than Frontier and FFE, planetary landing excluded.

Just curious. I'm still waiting for a PS4 release before I pick up a copy of the game myself!

13. Ljs

Ljs Well-Known Member

I played the original CGA version but not for very long (several hours) as I was very young and it was probably far too complex for me to understand and appreciate in hindsight. Skipped the others as they weren't really on my radar at the time.

14. DraigUK

DraigUK Member

As I'm sure you know, Elite always has been and probably always will be more about what you make of it for yourself as opposed to having some sort of story arc to follow, E: D is no different in that regard, and I doubt it ever will be. A good thing in my book.

That being said I'm enjoying the PP side of things more than I thought I would, as that can give a bit of focus as to what you do during your play time, the work being done around that by the community (at least the ALD one I'm part of) is immense. There are quite a few activities to do as part of this, and you do at least feel your are contributing to the weekly goal of your faction. I feel like I do make a bit of a difference when taking part in it at least.

It needs much improving though - you shouldn't need to use external tools to get the most out of it, but the "story" is certainly there if you want it to be, but nothing is forced on you, the actual mechincics of it need improving which has been discussed to death on the forums, but as a first iteration it isn't too bad.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No, I didn’t play the original – was too young pretty much. First space game I played was XWing vs Tie Fighter, followed by Freespace 2.

Elite definitely does lack depth though. There are a lot of cool things about the game, but sadly they are interspersed with long periods of boredom, and with my limited available gaming time, it means Elite rarely gets played nowadays.

I'll definitely get on it again when the Rift/Vive arrives though!

16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Active Member

It's one of those games that feels exciting early on, when everything is new and you are progressing though the ships at a decent rate but as you get deeper into the game, the time required vs the payoff really starts to feel like a grind.
    There is only so many times the assassination mission for General Carter can be done for anything other than the grind.

That's one thing that (eventually) star citizen is likely to offer, much better mission structure and hopefully a reason to do them.

Elite does have sound base mechanics, nice graphics and controls really well on a joystick but I found I had a surge of play for a little while and then a complete drop off in desire to play it at all.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

I'm not convinced that SC will be any different. Either you have a story arc which means that the game comes to a natural conclusion eventually and you stop playing, or you have an open-ended game where the main purpose is to enjoy playing rather than achieving a quest.

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Thoughts on 1.4 and Close Quarters

i) There are mission types, these require further investigation.

ii) The Condor is a little beast, provided you master vertical and lateral thrust.

iii) Didn't play the CQC beta, loving it so far in the 'real' world. The maps and the spaces for diving in and out of tunnels (or boosting flat out in to a wall) are brilliant. Already got a K/d out 2.2 and rank 8 in four matches.

iv) Sliding sideways past an opening, boosting into it, making a 90 degree turn into a branch, coming to a dead stop and shooting down the guy chasing you as he rockets past will never, ever get old.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2015
  19. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Exactly this.

I sank most of my childhood hunched over a Sinclair Spectrum 48k,playing this game and leaving a irradiated shadow from the 20" B+W TV.......

Once we have depth thru variety and developed the 'lore',the game will be much more engaging.

20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Active Member

I gave this a quick blast, having not played much at all since the power play update.

a few things that stood out:
    1. The response time for accessing the system/galaxy map or station services were much improved.
    2. The have removed the annoying animation when you access the ship out fitting screen - thank plato for that one!
    3. Some new ships, exciting but sadly rank restricted to the Feds.
    4. New galaxy map options are good (finally!), especially the faction overlay.
    5. Mission screen seems to have more mission types.
    6. Load times for Hyper Drive between systems seem faster.

Something I did notice, is that the vertical response time on the ASP was horrible, like there is now a delay. Now this might be Joystick related, as elite had wiped my config, I have upgraded to windows 10 between PP and CQC and the game has been patched a bunch of times, I have not had time to try another ship but i'd be interested to know if anyone else feels there is a response lag now?

I don't know if any of that will be enough to convince me to return to regular play but I will probably give it a few hours, if just to try the new ships once rank allows.