1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

good for you!

I keep reading all these stuff with the Thargoid's crashed sites but I cant even finish one of the engineer grind... kept getting distracted with everything ED..... I'm close to allied to Allioth, and after I'll be mining some broms for Turner... I need my efficient PA for my FDL!

On another note, very proud of my heavily-engineered AspX. c5 shield, 64t cargo, 2-bay SRV, scanners, couple shield boosters with heatsink and point defence.... and enough G5 multi-cannons to shred Dangerous-level Pythons/Condas...... (no fuel scoop though) and easily converted with mining lasers, refineries and 2 limpet types.... I love this thing.

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

You must be bumping into some ***** Pythons, I'm rocking 3 large beams and a couple of Packhounds - the life expectancy of an Asp runs into seconds :p

And yes, it is a Cat A fully Engineered variety :D

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have never tried an Asp in combat because normally, even in a sidewinder I can take them out in a couple of minutes, but in my FDL or Corvette they only last around 30 seconds to a minute.

4. Lorenzmoll

Lorenzmoll New Member

I also have 3 large beams and it's awesoome!

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Hit Beagle Point this morning on the PS4, and have been confirmed as the first PS4 CMDR to reach it.

Now the journey home has begun around 62,000Ly to go.

6. Ljs

Ljs Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about getting back in to Elite but I have no idea where to start! Anyone know any good resources (not littered with junk and opinions) that I could sift through?

I only have a few entry level ships (the old Cobra probably being the best) and I'd like to progress a little but the amount of content and things added since I last played seems a little overwhelming. :blah:

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Depends on really what you are looking to do but I would recommend looking at Obsidian Ant on Youtube, I won't plug myself on youtube because the first couple of vid's that I did with some tips etc are not that good and I need to do them again, but Obsidian Ant does some decent videos on how to get started etc.

Ljs likes this.
  8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well nearly finished building my exploration anaconda on the ps4, still got a few things to swap out like the thrusters and power distributor but currently sat at 53Ly jump range, hoping that it will hit at least 55Ly once I have finished with it this morning and then I am heading back out in to the black for a while.

9. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Hi, all

I have just downloaded this and I am having a little play. One thing I am having trouble with though is my game pad, an Xbox one pad to be more specific. I can't seem to set the controls so that they are all, or at least mostly on the pad. I have tried changing the control settings but most of the commands remain bound to the keyboard.

Is anyone else using a game pad who could help me out?

Think I got it now, but any other hints for a newbie are very much welcome.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2017
  10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

11. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

They did state their implementation schedule for today would likely overrun - I’ll take a look late this evening 2300+

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I've been playing this for a couple of days, so I'm pretty lost in it all, especially knowing where I should spend my money and on what? I have recently purchased the Adder, which looks awesome in VR. :)

13. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Go look for some PvE missions, they will be trading or "shoot X bad guy".

You can try to find a local group going hunting in extraction points too. Don't let your earned bounties get TOO high before cashing them in. Lasers are best against shields but kill your energy bank, autocannons don't need any energy so you can keep your shields up longer - but they need ammo so you need to reload regularly.

Upgrade your jump drive as quickly as you possibly can as it'll shorten the number of hops for a trip significantly and open areas you can't reach right now.

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Since I've put in about 14hrs, I now have a Viper MKIV pretty much all kitted out with a 4A FSD, so I can jump 24.XXLy
    I've mainly been doing Cargo and Time sensitive Data runs ( Which normal comes with a message "can you get here quicker bonus") picking up about 10+ jobs at once to a single star system seems to earn me about 2mil Cr per session I play.

So what would be the next best jump from a Viper MKIV, a Type 7?

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Asp Explorer. Start doing sightseeing missions, Focus on maximising jump range (i.e. don't equip weapons, get the lightest versions of core modules etc). Get yourself a size 5 (c or above) fuel scoop so you don't have to waste time collecting from suns.

The beauty of the Asp Explorer is its flexibility - a nifty ship that can be outfitted to do most roles.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  16. Zoon

If you're focusing less on combat and more on trading and exploring then you would be considering the Asp next even if you just get the Asp Scout to begin with. Diamondback Explorer has a reasonable jump range without sacrificing some combat ability too.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

The Type 7 is a horrible, horrible ship. For anything but hauling large amounts of stuff from large station to large station it's useless, even AI pirates present a legitimate threat to one and it's just so slow. I used to have one with a troll load out of four missile launchers and enough armour to tank ludicrous amounts of damage, but even that was pretty much useless against a half decent pilot.

The Asp Explorer is a good step, with the aim of going from that to a Python, Imperial Clipper or Anaconda depending on what you want to do. The Asp E is basically good enough for anything that isn't drag-out combat, it has a good jump range, can haul and explore and has enough weapons to take on AI ships without too much trouble. Pretty much the entire of Elite Dangerous' mid tier grind should be spent in an Asp or a Vulture.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys. Think the ASP Explorer will be my next ship. And as Pete J says, I'll start exploring and install an infinity steller scanner to explore some new systems. :)

Sorry I've not replied sooner, but I've been busy cutting up my Hotas X extending the cable, that is soo short between the Throttle and Joystick and building mounts to attach it to my chair.

Now with Oculus, Hotas, an Elite dangerous, I will lose many hrs of my life. :D

[​IMG]

19. Zoon

I have that same chair although I haven't added my hotas to it ;)

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

IKEA special. :)

Extending the cable was a pig as it has 16pairs of stranded wires. So I had to solder the ends, and then insert them into 2 keystones cat5, so I could run 2 ethernet cables as the extension.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's not the finished project, just a quick put together to test it before using shorter Cat5 ethernet cables and some heat shrink sleeves to tidy the cables. :)

damien c and Guest-56605 like this.