1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Good. I Pre-ordered the T1600M at £35 knowing it was out of stock and after about two weeks, it was back in and dispatched immediately.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Dabs are a tenner cheaper no?

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'm slipping... I'm eyeing up the X55 now :/

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Poor build quality from what I hear..... also, can we move this to.... The Joystick Thread

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Had a quick go on Elite last night with a mate from ZiiP and other than some trouble trying to locate each other in the same damn system, I have to say I'm very impressed with it!

I'm going to try and dabble with some missions this afternoon/evening running goods and seeing how I fare, though being constantly interdicted during Super Cruise flight made it a bit of a pain in the ass and I know I'll constantly lose my cargo :D

Flying on KN&M works well enough, though inverting the pitch seems to do nothing at all which is bloody annoying as I always end up pulling the nose up when I mean to dive.

Edit: Apologies though, I didn't mean to spam the thread with queries regarding flight sticks :)

Last edited: 21 Aug 2014
  6. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

My recent insights:

I traded in the Lakon Type 6 (cargo carrying monster) for a Viper (manoeuvrable and fast fighter), fully kitted out. The different ship characteristics are great, as would be expected it is far more enjoyable piloting the fast ship, although I am still awful at combat. Finding a good balance of weapons and equipment is difficult as fully loaded the jump range falls off a cliff. A tip, watch out after being destroyed and wanting to buy back on insurance, the first option says something like 'old loadout' and I absent mindedly clicked and ok'd it, but this does not include any weapon or equipment upgrades! If you want everything (at 90% discount you are mad not
    to) you must check 'all above' button as well. After that mistake I had to settle for a more humble payload and did some exploring around Morgor. Did you know:

• If you fire on abandonned derelicts they bring charges?
    • Some lakons just hang around requesting donation of your cargo, did not work out who that worked...
    • you are likely to find useful cargo just floating around in space all the time, more than you can load, waste not want not

It was while collecting some carelessly discarded waste gold that I got jumped by three Cobras. I had lost my reinforced alloy hull due to the mistake rebuying and the ship took a real pummelling, I can understand now why the hull upgrades are pricey. Also my point defence system appeared to get overwhelmed by the amount of missiles in the air, the last time a player jumped me with missiles outside a starbase thanks to the point defence system he lived to regret it, however here shot to pieces.

Was not really turning much profit so went back to the Lakon for some space drudgery then will give it another try...

FYI currently using an xbox 360 controller, if you have one lying around it I think it trumps the keyboard and mouse in the meantime.

7. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Was about to ask about what the handling with a controller is like. I attempted the 360 pad on war thunder, was not keen.

When i get this will use the Xbox one pad and just have to get used to it hehe.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I tried a 360 pad whilst waiting for the Warthog to be supported back in Alpha, and I was overcompensating constantly due to the small size of the analogue sticks. Better than K&M? Maybe, but definitely not up to a proper stick setup.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Today's newsletter talks about remote outposts in Beta 2.0 and plans for alien derelicts/artifacts. Nice. :)

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I did a little piracy, could not tell if it was another player or an AI hauler but the system authority were not that happy, so ended up in a dual with one of them, which I defeated nicely, lateral thrust Cheesecake. Sadly, my piracy eventually lead me to my death when I re-spawned I had a 600 credit fine to pay :)

Was good fun though.

I have played with a few friends now, but find the group options limited and really look forward to the sync jump drive options to go live and any other changes for being able to see each other and keep together more easily.

I am also not going to over invest time wise, given the wipe between beta and Gamma, much as I enjoy the game.

Finally, either in the 1.3 beta patch, or because of some back-end server optimisations, but the transition between normal space and frameshift or hyperdrive is now really rapid and smooth, neatly 0 wait time. Love it!

11. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I imagine they could be trigger points for future sub-plots....

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Huzzah! X55 Rhino ordered. Should be here before the end of next week :)

Might hold off on any gameplay until I get my hands on it.

13. Nexxo

I love it. I said it before and I say it again: I swear Braben can see inside my head.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

On a standard Haulier trade run having just bought some Advanced Catalysers in Beagle Landing alongside some HE Suits. Upon exiting the station I noticed 14 cargo vessels containing Slaves! Quickly ditched my cargo with a hasty landing back in Beagle and took off again to scoop up some contraband booty. Unfortunately only managed to score 3 lots before they disappeared. On the plus side I didn't get scanned during the illegal scavenger operation and had plenty of time to jump to LP 98-132. :D

15. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

How is this game compared to X3?

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I've not played X3 myself but have seen it in action. From a broad perspective I'd say Elite is more of a free flowing game whereas X3 gets bogged down in details. With Elite there's a bare minimum of menus to play around with that doesn't make it a simple game. It's very nuanced in comparison to the plethora of games out there at the moment and it is the 'Elite' game we've been waiting for, there's no doubt about that!

One instance of the free flow game play I experienced today as an example. I dropped out of Frameshift to investigate an 'Unknown Signal Source' and found a Lakon Type 6 minding it's own business. An initial scan shown nothing odd about the transporter but then I noticed a small incoming blip on my radar so stuck around. The blip turned out to be a Viper Mk. III used as a security vessel for the local system. It opened fire on the Lakon which perked my interest because it suggests the transport has illicit cargo! Once the Lakon retaliated against the Viper that registered as a crime and endowed it with a 'wanted' status. So this invited me to join in with the Viper and claim a kill and the Bounty against the Lakon for attacking this security vessel.

As the Lakon took damage it dumped it's cargo of lucrative 'Battle Weapons' until the transport finally met it's demise crediting me with a voucher for 850 credits! It didn't end there however, as the dropped cargo of Battle Weapons was too much to resist. Unfortunately the Viper stuck around to monitor the illegal cargo. So I motioned away from the scene of the crime to a distance of 5KM and turned off all my systems dropping to 'Silent Mode'. Under minimal power I coasted back and managed to score 3 containers of Battle Weapons before the Viper registered my signature and initiated a scan. I fired up my drive and burst away at top speed maintaining a distance far enough away that the Viper could not complete its scan.

That's just one example of how that situation was handled but you can go in so many different directions. I could have blown that Viper out of the sky and collected all the Battle Weapons but then that would have instantly made me a wanted criminal. It's a game where you have to live with the choices you make that's for sure!

17. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

how did you coast back just put a bit if thrust in the direction then turn off ships power, also was the Viper a NPC?

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Security vessels and a lot of the random ships you meet are just NPC / AI ships.

19. Nexxo

If their name begins with CMDR (Commander), they are a player; if not, they are NPCs.

20. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Picked this up over the weekend and dropped around 6 hours to it without really noticing :)