1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Funded and made the stretch goal for a Mac version. I think they'll hit the £1.5m stretch as well for more ships, but that's about it.

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yeah - there has been a lot of momentum in the last couple of days, but once KS closes I don't think the Paypal pledges will gather much more.

It's weird that this is happening - so many conversations I have had with people over the years about whether there will ever be another Elite (mostly ending in negative conclusions) and now it is really happening!

What a wonderful thing Kickstarter is!

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I'm in - Commander GOO, reporting for duty. :)

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Last video diary and a great update...

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

For anyone that hasn't seen it, here is the first fan made film in homage to Elite Dangerous;

6. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Funded! What a ride it turned out to be!

7. B_HERB

B_HERB What is this..A CENTER FOR ANTS?!

I'm just gonna take a wild guess and say you're a wee-bit excited for this game.

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Somewhat, yes. I don't have the energy to get excited that often!

When Elite came out in 1984 it was a revelation - a jump in games technology far beyond anything else that was around at the time and it helped cement my determination to be a computer programmer as a young teenager. Over the years it was always a topic of conversation between me and my peers and although we had Frontiers and First Encounters about ten years later, they did not re-capture the original Elite feeling.

For the last few years, although games technology has got better, games themselves have started to plateau as publishers go for the 'magic formula'. I think (and hope) that people like David Braben (and Chris Roberts) can help to add some creativity back into the games industry and hopefully inspire a generation like they did previously. I think that this will be helped by the massive fan base both of their games have accumulated.

One of the reasons I bankrupt myself to join the Design Forum tier is that I am keen to see that this game is not just a re-boot (there are a few sentimentalists who seem to just want the old Elite - they can download Oolite for that!) but pushes the game forward. I will be using what little voice I have to shout this loudly. There is an opportunity to make this a living, breathing game that lasts for years...

Yes, I am excited ;-)

9. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I am too, I just hope they can deliver stuff in the gameplay department that I hope for.

10. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Hurrah - got my Elite Dangerous mug today!

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Here we go!

12. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It's looking good!

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The entrance to the battle is just perfect but the dog fighting needs some polish.

Otherwise I am optimistic about my Elite Dangerous Pledge! :thumb:

14. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Hmm, I really should have pledged an extra tenner to get beta access.

15. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

You can always upgrade.

About the vid; Awesome score, the best composers aren't afraid of empty space. Also why did the capitals have to be all up/down planarly broadside. :rolleyes:

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oculus Rift support confirmed. HELL YES!

"Great news that we know many of you have been hoping for – today we’re announcing that Elite: Dangerous will support Oculus Rift. We’re very excited by this and if you aren’t aware of what Oculus Rift is then visit their website to find out more:

http://www.oculusvr.com/

I’m sure you’ll also be pleased to learn that the Oculus Rift version of Elite:Dangerous will be available to ALL backers that have an Oculus Rift headset for no extra cost.

Here’s David’s opinion on this:

“We’ve been playing with the Oculus Rift dev kits and are excited about the potential – just glancing around your cockpit or being totally immersed in a space battle. Many of our backers have made it clear that they would like Oculus Rift support – and so do we! We’re very pleased with the results so far.”

Thanks as ever for reading and why not pop by our forums to discuss the latest news:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Thanks for reading

Michael"

17. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Pledged.

The opportunity to go back to '84 is too strong to resist.

Memories of hitting "Elite" for the first time, seeing my first Thargoid and, of course, the Cobra...
    ...then a few years later sitting in a classroom with 5 or 6 mates every lunchtime on the schools BBC computers racing each other for weeks and weeks on end playing side by side to see who could hit Elite first...and without fail ALL of us dreaming of the day we could play in game, together, helping or killing each other....

It's simply too strong a pull of nostalgia to resist.

See you out there :D

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The Alpha opened today - check your inbox if you pledged to that level ;-)

19. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Second wave of beta for me. Can't wait!

20. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I am definitely gonna need a bigger PC!