1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Really nice. What ship were you in?

How do you find those high value targets? Just go to every unidentified signal source in the systems where the contract mentions? Do all contracts above 100K make you fight anacondas?

2. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Thanks!

Each mission usually gives you 3 systems to find the target in.
    Go to one of them and keep going into USS.
    You will come across a ship that will give you a more precise location of where the target was seen.
    Go to that system and go into the USS again. Eventually you will find the target and can fight him.

Every kill contract like this faces you off against an Elite ranked Anaconda.
    Rewards vary from about 120k to 200k that I've seen.

I was in my Asp, and had just bought the 2 lasers for it for about 1 million so needed some fast cash. In total the 3 mission rewards gave me about 480k, but you also get some bounties (which you can see flash up on the screen in the video) these came to about another 100k. While looking for the targets, going into USS you come across other pirates that you can kill (which I did) as you go along. Those gave me another 100k or so.

In total then, for completing all 3 missions, and after I cashed in the bounties, I'd earned about 600k, which isn't bad going and a lot more fun than trading, although I would have been much safer and earned more trading, so doing that instead would have been much wiser instead of risking it all.

It was a pretty stupid thing to do really, but I think the game is pretty easy and risk free right now so sometimes I'll do stupid things like this and put it all on the line to give me a bit of excitement.

My insurance premium went to about 600k for a full rebuy, my balance was about 300k when I set out. If I had died at any point I would have been back in the Sidewinder, and it would have been my own fault.

I was just too arrogant to think an Elite 'Conda could ever kill me, but anything could have happened really, I could even have died crashing into a station, who knows.

Some people had said that the difficulty of the encounters had been increased, so I was curious to see if they had.

Can't say I noticed, although the first one did clip me with a plasma shot at one point, and almost reduced my shields to zero. I've been hit by those a few times and now and again they will take out all your shields and reduce an Asp hull to about 65%, which means even if you live and kill the target, it barley will cover repair costs.

So please don't do what I did, and always make sure you can cover your insurance costs before doing anything even nearly as stupid as I did :wallbash:

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

@DraigUK
    Would you say those lasers are the best laser weapons in the game?

I've started seeing GREEN targets, in dogfights as well as supercruise. Anyone knows what are those?

4. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Green targets are friendly/allied targets from a faction you have become friendly with. They will attack enemy targets and help out in a fight.

5. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

They are gimballed beam lasers, size 2.
    Not the most effective, but when going against NPC's very good.

6. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

How do you tell if a ship is flown by a player or is a NPC?

7. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

"CMDR" will precede their name and their ship will show up as a hollow shape on your radar while npcs show up as solid shapes.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

"We are recruiting a mix of experienced and graduate programmers for various technology and tools team areas such as: networking, 3D graphics, audio, animation, physics, networking, AI, platform specific low level code and optimization.

We currently have several exciting cutting-edge projects encompassing a range of genres."

You've jumped the gun a bit there.

Also, they have said they might bring it to console in the future. Fine by me too, more money towards development of content etc if it does well.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

nah - there porting it to console = more money for them.

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Amazing translation skills you have. I cannot see anything about Elite Dangerous in that sentence!

12. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Aha!

What form of antialiasing do you guys use? I find the image (especially the text) a bit blurry and hard to read. I tried them in order, testing the last one now.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

SMAA, minor performance hit, and doesn't screw your textures like FXAA

14. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Bought the Eagle mk II. It runs hot...

15. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

16. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Do I really need to assign a fire group to the kill warrant scanner, seeing as the basic discovery scanner doesn't seem to need one?

17. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Making my way through the tutorial. Keep getting my ass handed to me on the one on one sidewinder dog fight. Prefer the matter cannons to lasers!

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

It was the convoy tutorial I couldn't beat. Took the fighters down but the big one shredded me every time! Maybe in a few weeks ill have the skilz

19. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Read the manual that's now appeared as link on the launcher, this has helped explained a few simple things I knew I was missing!

20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I went into my first Elite Anaconda fight with a poorly weaponized Eagle Mk II. Quite glad I had the credits to cover insurance, first volley had my shields gone and integrity down to 45%.

First *insured* death on the chalk board...