1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

My dad wants to build a setup like that, but it still won't help him not crash his ship.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Quite the opposite. Frontier: First Encounters is one of my all-time favourite games. It's also pretty much an uglier yet more feature-packed Elite: Dangerous (it was its direct predecessor, after all.) If someone doesn't like Frontier: First Encounters (which they can try for free) then there's little point them buying Elite: Dangerous (which they cannot try for free.)

As for Elite: Dangerous, call me when I can land on the surfaces of planets (and planetoids, and moons, and asteroids) and I'll have a serious think about upgrading from Frontier: First Encounters.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Fair enough!

I shouldn't have bought this game as I actually like an end goal. Well, not strictly true - I played some of the X games until I had bought the biggest and baddest ship there was, which I considered the end game for me. Elite: Dangerous just doesn't seem to have as large a variety of ships in terms of functionality, size, etc.

Still, if my money's supporting a game fellow PC players like, then I'm happy!

4. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I tried some system scanning pretty much all evening yesterday, invested in both an advanced discovery scanner and a detailed surface scanner. I managed to fully scan 5 systems with the time I had, after taking the time to fit an exploration Cobra up to 20.5 LY.

I have to say, maybe if you luck out on a black hole or system with earth like planets it's a good money maker but for the 5 full system scans I made, not one system was worth more than 10k in universal cartographic. As much as I enjoyed the change of pace, for the time taken, it is terrible money making! 40-50k in a few hours vs. 200k per return trip in trade that takes about 15-20 mins...!

I think Frontier need to address that, either increase the value of the scans or decrease the time taken. You have to close to within 5 LS of a roid belt, 8-10 LS of a small ice plane, although bigger bodies can be scanned from much further away etc., which is time consuming especially when combined with the 10-15 second scan time.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I didn't realise you could make anything good from exploration to be fair. If you are doing bulletin missions and picking places you haven't been you can rack up some extra's to go with them.

I need to do this trade thing a bit better. I haven't found anywhere to go good runs in my hauler yet. I also haven't ventured far though. Most of my fun has come from bounty hunting in an Eagle. Although I've got a little too greedy a few times and bitten off more than I can chew (normally Cobra's as I can't get away from them.)

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

You Can make 100k to 500k a full system scan in the right system but overall, High Value Metals and Imperial Slaves are the way to go. Recently I have been combining that with trade missions, like 2 I got today, at the same time, where I had to provide 2 units of gold for 40k and 10 units of gold for 170k. Profit was 20k and then 75k respectively and then I also shifted 88 units of beryllium at the same station giving me another 140k profit. Total 235 in one trip.

I suspect a re-balance will occur at some point soon given how inconsistent it all is. Get it in while the going is good.

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

What station was it with gold mission?

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I'm working out of Vaka and the local area, Sifjar etc. However I don't think it's station dependant directly. It's the type of economy, so high wealth industrial stations where demand is high and where you have a good relationship with the mission sponsor. I am allied now with most of the local factions, except the combat mission targets.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2015
  9. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Went out for another spin yesterday, becoming more proficient at combat.

Upgraded my FSD and I can now jump just under 11LY in my Eagle, which has opened up a gold trade route for me, so may run that for a bit to build up some funds.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Found the George Lucas station in Leesti was spawning Resonating Separators perilously close to the station itself! Managed to score 7 cargo pods before docking and cashing in. Nice little bonus 5 minutes before the servers are down for an update! :D

12. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I've made as much as 20k from a single system, but while I'm doing that I tend to investigate all those little "unidentified signal" bubbles floating around, I've made a reasonable amount of additional CRs taking out pirates and picking up stuff.

13. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Put in a coupe of hours, just floating around, scanning suns, killing wanted folks at US's. One question, I keep finding cargo out in space which the one time I have been caught, the fine totally outstrips the profit. Anyway to wash the goods to make them legit? I still dont quite get why its considered stolen if I just found it.

Few more upgrades to the eagle, can easily pop a Cobra solo. Looking to find me some gimballed lasers to try out.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I believe the accepted procedure is to enter the station too quickly for the scan to complete.
    It's probably considered stolen because it's not on your cargo manifest filed at takeoff.

15. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

And in silent running mode

16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Gimbled lasers are nice and easy, but lower damage generally. Fixed beams do much more damage but depending on you being able to keep the beams on the target for DPS. They also over heat a bit fast, so putting additional pips into weapons is a must.
    Pulse Lasers also do good consistent damage, and IMO, work better on a gimbal than beams. But be ware, the power fitting reqs and the thermal profile are high!

17. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Yeah I found that when I get into a fight its all pips to weapons and the left overs into sys. Rarely need to chase NPC's down so its an all out brawl.

Thats with 2 pulse and one beam all fixed, Ive upgraded lots of kit to D type, which Ive found is better and lighter so my range is certainly better

Just trying to find myself a spot that I can find some reasonable trade routes in and then get a trading ship and flip some runs to make some cash to upgrade to cobra / viper.

18. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Try having a multi cannon as an additional weapon to accompany the pulse weapons, thermal weapons like pulse lasers are better for taking out shields, where as Kinetic weapons like Multi cannons shred hulls.

The Eagle is good fun, but the viper is a big step up for bounty hunting and well worth getting it if bounties of wanted parties are your thing.

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I noticed this with the cannon. I've been taking people out with the canon as you say, but the shields I use the lasers.

20. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Thanks I'll give the multi cannon a shot.

Need about 50k to get a viper hull.

Funnily back in the day when playing original elite, frontier, private 1+2, I was always more combat oriented. When I started playing eve I went full carebear, never enjoyed the combat aspect. (Ok I did have some combat pilots but I generally would avoid a fight.)

So its nice to go full circle.