1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education EMA

Discussion in 'General' started by bigsharn, 23 Jan 2009.

1. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

This^^ Bus pass and free food is more useful than clothes & weed.

Edit (disclaimer) - this is worst case "Scally" scenario. I'm not implying that you lot spend it on whisky & 'hoes.

2. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

*rant*

EMA does rather annoy me + the other awards my 6th form gives out, basically a £50 prize draw for anyone on track with their target grades

And I have to be working at a B in further maths to reach this as the target grades are based off EVERY subject from gcse's. While at the same time my mate who is no exageration the best person at maths in the year only has to achieve a C.

*/rant*

guess I can't complain too much though

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I don't mind people that are anti EMA (because I know I am slightly even though I am entitled to it) but it is when people say, for example "why do you get EMA? You have a big house therefore you must be rich"
    Or you could get a grip, stop making assumptions and only contribute to things that you know about.

4. Sir Digby

It's not so much that I'm anti EMA - it just feels a little unfair that even though I work hard it'll be over 5 years before I even start to get any real rewards for it.

And I'm 100% in favour of people deserve it recieving it, or if it was paid out in bus passes and food as Stickeh suggested I'd be 100% in favour of it too.

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yeah, what's wrong with just getting the school to look at peoples' addresses and giving students a bus pass accordingly?

6. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

When i got my ema it payed the rent.

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

This.
    Back in my day I had to cycle ten miles uphill both ways to get to school, even if it was snowing.

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Uphill both ways?? Do you live in an Escher drawing?

:p

9. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

yet another person who's against it here. can't see what's wrong with just having a free bus pass and entitlement free food. and getting a part time job.

that's what i had to do, maybe i'm just bitter ;)

ahaha, brilliant.

10. iggy

iggy Minimodder

make your own damn sandwiches. 4 quid makes a lot of sandwiches. get a thermos. damn near free coffee, jsut the way you like it

[​IMG]

11. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I would... but I eat alone at lunch (well... me and my laptop) and I'm trying to lose weight...

I have milk (same price), so it'd go sour by the time I get there (put your hand in my bag and it melts off... seriously)

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

ahem. the EPSRC gives me £15k/year tax free to study, and pays my fees.

mind, i'm doing a phd.

i'm lucky enough to be in a position where my living expenses are very very low, so that's actually more than enough to live a comfortable lifestyle and put some savings aside.

pfft, lightweight. i once walked one and a half miles home from school with a broken toe.
    true story. never forgave my mum.

13. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Fod, i broke my arm on the beach and my mom let me think it was a sprain, put one of those elastic things on it and i went around my activites thinking she was wrong, when i fell off a stationary bike onto a grassy bank, back on the arm, she decided we'd better go to the hospital XD

14. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

I don't get enough tbh I get the minimum £10 a week and all of that pays for my bus pass and it doesn't even cover that properly, yet I know people that get the full £30 and they are way better off than me I don't get it ¬_¬

I still don't get enough for food, schoolbooks/bags, equipment etc...

and yes I'm trying to get a job infact I've been trying for the last 6 months :(

I would've had a job if comet chose looks over someone that knows what they are talking about ¬_¬

15. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

What difference does eating alone make? IIR from school thats where you want to be when you are eating packed lunch (for fear of a good beating) in addition get UHT milk... its cheaper, lasts longer and also doesn't matter if it gets warm.

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Nick the UHT milk from McDonalds or cafes, that what me and my mum used to do.

17. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

UHT milk is rough and I don't think drinking milk and trying to lose weight really go together anyway.

18. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I just scrape £10/week which is crap compared to £30/week for some, but im also grateful as some of my friends get none at all. It's annoying that there £10/20/30 boundaries, regardless of what someones parents earn, I think everyone should be entitled to the same amount. I agree it's pretty weird paying us to go to school but I would be mad not to claim it!

Anyway, theres a £100 bonus soon which is going to help pay for a new graphics card :D

19. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I never got a handout at school, I got the basic loan at uni, I earned my living ever since I had an NI number/

20. Sir Digby

Out of interest - how much ARE people paying for bus pass?

£130 a term limited to a set bus typical?