1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy prices, what's your plan?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ElThomsono, 30 Aug 2022.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Nexxo, adidan and ElThomsono like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Good wood.

Sorry to be so familiar. :happy:

3. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

That's quite alright many people have admired my wood today. :)

LennyRhys likes this.
  4. walle

walle Minimodder

I only let my wife admire my wood these days.

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Got this very handy summary of the new capped prices in October from Ovo. Based on my usage (Family of 4 in a 4 Bed Bungalow) the 'annual' increase is approx £600 from the April prices but more importantly is now £2800 duel fuel annually compared to my previous amount of ~£1200. My electric use is lower due to PVs on the roof (and they also pay me back hundreds a year) but partially offset by switching to induction hob vs gas hob. Also managed to reroof and insulate the back of the house last year and will insulate the bathroom floor in the next few weeks so should be much snugger. Only 1 bathroom and the hallway to go for insulation now (before external insulation goes on in a few years time). Shame it all costs so bloody much to retrofit!

upload_2022-9-23_10-26-42.png

upload_2022-9-23_10-26-14.png

wyx087 likes this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Our estimated yearly usage is never anything like what we use which I find odd as we're on smart meters and have been with the same company for several years.

7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Made me double check, Electric looks about right but gas is lower than previous years. I assume they're basing it on year to date usage and factoring somehow. My usage over 3 years has varied a fair bit (up and down) but its complicated by lots of home improvements, building work, switching gas hobs/ovens to electric, new smart thermostat, adding a tumble dryer, wife taking up running and showering 300 times a day. Makes for a messy prediction in my case.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The following is taken from an email from Shell Energy, just two of us here in a small semi-detached bungalow, at least one of us home most of the time.

"How this affects your energy prices
    Your electricity rates are changing from 28.408p to 33.859p per kWh and your standing charge per day is changing from 51.62p to 52.64p.
    Your gas rates are changing from 7.476p to 10.425p per kWh and your standing charge per day is changing from 27.22p to 28.48p.
    Annual Personal Projection
    Your current tariff: Flexible 7 Direct Debit ebill £1,437
    Your new tariff: Energy Price Guarantee Direct Debit £1,722
    Increase in cost £285
    Your rates and projections are outlined above. These include 5% VAT and are what we estimate you’ll pay over the next 12 months. This is based on your estimated energy consumption of 3,077 kWh of electricity and 3,686 kWh of gas and does not take into account any credit or debit balances you may have. How much you pay will depend on how much energy you use. This projection also doesn’t include government schemes to reduce the amount you’ll pay, such as the Energy Bills Support Scheme."

9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

My email from Shell, for a detached bungalow, again with just 2 occupants with 1 WFH 4 days a week;

Your current tariff: Flexible 7 Direct Debit ebill £2,327
    Your new tariff: Energy Price Guarantee Direct Debit £2,937
    Increase in cost £610

Your rates and projections are outlined above. These include 5% VAT and are what we estimate you’ll pay over the next 12 months. This is based on your estimated energy consumption of 4,178 kWh of electricity and 12,053 kWh of gas and does not take into account any credit or debit balances you may have.

It shouldn't be as bad as that though, last year we had 2 young adults in the house 24/7, they're gone now, 2 fridges have been decommissioned, and I will not run the heating during daylight hours (weekdays) this year.

10. Byron C

Byron C Official Necromancer

I'm in the process of setting up Home Assistant and some "smart" plugs that apparently support energy monitoring. You see some absolutely ridiculous figures quoted for the amount of power that devices use in standby, so I'm measuring it myself.

(Of course I can't do anything the easy way, so I've decided to flash them with custom firmware instead of just using the out of the box firmware and apps. I'm currently waiting for my TrueNAS Scale host to dd a Home Assistant boot image file to a zvol, and then I have to figure out which PCIe device to pass through because apparently you can't just pass through a single USB device, you have to pass through the entire USB controller...)

MLyons and wyx087 like this.
  11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Our plan is to move somewhere warmer.

We've just had our offer on a nice French rural property in the Charentes accepted. Wish us luck (with typically bad timing, now is the time the Pound is tanking against the Euro).

LennyRhys, Arboreal, MLyons and 5 others like this.
  12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Ooo rural France. Lovely dude. All the best ❤️

13. Byron C

Byron C Official Necromancer

Cool, so that's two smart plugs up and running.

[​IMG]

Interestingly, it's only reporting ~500W from my PC when running a simultaneous CPU&GPU stress test - CPU is a 5900X and the GPU is a 3070Ti:

[​IMG]

Of course these are not calibrated precision measuring instruments, but at a rough idea is better than no idea.

I'm heading over to town shortly, but later today I'll flash the remaining sockets and hook them up.

wyx087, Arboreal and adidan like this.
Tags: