1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Enermax announces self-cleaning DF Pressure fans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Apr 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Didn't MSI do that on their GPUs like aaaages ago?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's a software thing, though: what Enermax has patented is having the fan do it by itself (i.e. you connect one of these up to a power supply, absolutely no intelligence in the loop, and it'll reverse for ten seconds then spin normally.)

4. Vault-Tec

Oh I see. So the same thing only different? :D

I like the idea of it, however I don't like the idea of my Alienware huffing dust in my face every time I swtich it on (it faces upward lol).

5. Gareth Halfacree

Like 90% of the patents out there, aye!
    Yeah, I'd want to think carefully about where I was actually using these.

6. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

So it goes into reverse for 10 seconds to clear the dust. Then spins up and sucks the dust back over the fan :eyebrow:

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought...

8. Vault-Tec

I've seen it in action and it doesn't quite work like that. It tends to throw off fluff balls which are heavy enough to drop to the floor (or the floor of your case) pretty quickly so that they don't get sucked back in.

With fan filters though they could actually end up clogging them far sooner.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Other way around: if you have fan filters this will unclog them by reversing the flow. This is exactly what industrial vacuum extraction systems (and site vacuums) do to prevent their filters from becoming clogged by particulates. Many will even have a fancy multi-fan or multi-duct system to allow them to continue 'sucking' through one filter while the other is reversed to clear it. That's why if you're using one for a long period of time you will occasionally hear it 'clack' as it cleans the filters.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yet more fan gimmicks to generate sales. I bet the fans will be expensive because of this "amazing" feature, and of course being Enermax. Couldn't they have simply shown a video of the technology in action instead of copping out with a run-of-the-mill 3D animation and epic soundtrack?

Plus, anybody with a basic understanding of aerodynamics will know that a PC fan spinning in the wrong direction will generate barely any airflow at all because of the curvature of the impeller blades - they're designed to work in ONE direction, not two. Ten seconds of counter rotation with very little airflow won't achieve much if anything at all, but hey, it'll generate sales!

11. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Only if you believe airfoils operate on magic rather than fluid flow. Running in reverse will be slightly less efficient and slightly noisier, but will still generate plenty of airflow. Same reason aircraft can fly inverted with minimal issue: lift is generated by shoving an inclined plane through a medium. All the rest of the wing chord shaping is to do with making that inclined plane more efficient. Computer case fans spin FAR to slowly for chord shape to be making a significant difference in generated airflow.

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Well that's it - I believe that fans are all about magic, especially the ones with the most vibrant colours and brightest LEDs. :rock:

What you're saying is true, but it's still just a silly gimmick. The best way to get dust out of your system is -- surprise, surprise -- to clean it manually.

14. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

so it goes full blast for 10 whole second, and there's nothing u can do stop it??

there goes putting it in a silent build.