1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Engraving 101

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Jul 2007.

1. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Is it possible to engrave on powdercoating? My next case will be powdercoated but I want to pick up my dremel again.

2. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

The best thing in this article? It's because it drags Bit-tech back to its roots!
    Before this site is what it looks like now, it WAS a modders TOP reference site. Actually it was that what catch my attention in the first place.
    There where a TON of wonderfull nice articles like that.

I really hope that Bit-Tech includes more articles like that one!

Cheers!

3. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

I agree with Yemerich ! :thumb:

4. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

maybe this has been asked but im a huge huge huge fan of engraving and im farely good at it...havnt had much practice as of late seeing as how imm out of a dremel or bits...my old fake dremel blew and my bits got lost...so im looking 4 a new one when i can afford them (theyre damn expensive here in south africa)...k so anyways b4 i steer too much off topic...my question (aimed at Wolverine) is about the engravings done on the metal cases. do you spray them with a coat of clearcoat after you're done engraving them?

5. Sandwich

Sandwich What's a Dremel?

can you only engrave anodized metal. or can you engrave painted metals as well. what are the differences?

6. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

Well you can clearcoat the engravings if you are worried about rust but personally ive never done that and i have never had any problems with rust.

You can engrave any surface it doesnt matter at all if its anodized or painted you still do it in exactly the same way.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow sweet etching, looks really good

8. sinkhead

sinkhead Pleh

Excellent guide! I might even give it a go...

9. Bl4ckM0onk3y

Bl4ckM0onk3y in luv 2.0

i'm in the process of engraving my Mystique 632 right now , using different method for transferring the template onto the case panels. Taking pictures as i go so hopefully it will be nice or a complete disaster ;D

P.S. The Pentagrams used in this article are the "real bad" pentagrams , these are described as the symbols for Satanists , the "good" Pentagram is inverted and it's a symbol of protection.

10. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

i have a quick question.
    the detailing done in dots or lines...how is that done?
    i tried doing dots in a plexi engraving of my own and i had no idea what i was doing...do u simply make lots of dots that are touching?

11. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

To give a simple answer to that....YES :)

12. jamie_2k7

jamie_2k7 What's a Dremel?

wow amazing .... id love to be able to do that ... im thinking of giving it ago :) just wondering where would i get them leds from ? and how would i power them ... im wanting to make a sign for my wall with that effect :) think it would look cool any help would be greatly appreciated

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

How do.

Just joined the forums after reading a spate of articles on modding. I read through the engraving article and enjoyed it so much that I bought a Dremel 400 XPS kit the following morning. Bit of an impulse, but I thought, why the hell not! Thing came with the flexi-shaft, so hopefully it is as useful as is stated in the article.

I am thinking of engraving the righ-hand side of my Gigabyte 3D aurora 570 case with an image and community tags to get me started. I am hoping it is simple enough.

[​IMG]

If anyone would have any recommendations and/or tips, they would be appreciated.

Like I said, extremely good article, got the brain going into overdrive again. :clap:

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I got to use a CNC mill/engraver today

it was so so easy
    1. Draw an engraving in AutoCad
    2. Convert to MasterCAM file
    3. Make a toolpath and enter tool type
    4. Save the CNC code
    5. Open Techno code and start engraving

15. ozz

ozz Nerd? Yep sure am & proud of it.

sorry this has nothing to do with beliefs or whatever....but...
    After engraving the case metal is there anything needed to seal or protect the newly exposed metal? ie to stop from rusting or anything?

16. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Old article but I don't think it was mentioned and might still be useful:
    I think you can do larger area patterns on alu/steel by using a common wire brush bit, or by not using a dremel but a punch and just hammer a lot of dots, that's a bit time intensive though, but it's how they used to do some classical designs in ancient times

Tags: Add Tags