1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding engraving test

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Well33t, 19 Sep 2004.

1. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

it's my first time i do engraving on acrylic so i wanna know if i'm on the right way... there is a picture :
    [​IMG]
    it's just a test, but is it ok ? i did it on the back of the sheet and now how do i light it up with leds ? does it will give a good effect just like everyone do on this forum.. ?

2. CYRiX

CYRiX What's a Dremel?

well the FE looks good but either:
    1) you did this on a already broken piece
    2) your broke it during engraving

if its 1 then thats good.

3. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

looks about right. im pretty much in the same boat, i want to engrave a window in my case, but ive never done it before, so im practicing like mad on just about anything see-through, lol.

keep at it, it will be good to see your finished item :)

4. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

here is the final result :
    [​IMG]

5. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Looks great! You just need to mound the led's so that they shine down the plastic. Either drill a hole and mount them directly into the plastic (shave off the tip) or mount them at the ends with hotglue or something similiar.

6. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

you mean that i should drill an hole there :
    [​IMG]
    and put this led ...
    [​IMG]
    does it will be very reactive ?? i just put my leds on the front and it is not a lot... how much leds should i put ??

7. Shadowspawn

Depends on how bright your led's are. Your acrylic is green already, so I would use white led's to get the most light out of them. Polish one edge of the acrylic and hold the led up to it to get an idea of the effect you're going to have before you do any drilling.

Go back and take a look at how G-gnome lit up his acrylic. He drilled into the face of the acrylic and mounted the led into the hole. Its hard to describe with words.

8. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

ok i took a little look , he sanded his led to get a better light and i think he only glued the led on back of the plexi... am i right ? Anyway, im gonna buy some white leds and see the result with them !

9. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Please, share what Bit you used for your dremel. Nice little fact that will help others out.

Other than that, nice job! :thumb:

10. Shadowspawn

For the life of me I couldn't find a decent picture of the LED's being mounted in the acrylic. This is the best I could find: link. Look at the green panel. See the two small holes in it? Those are holes drilled partly into the acrylic. He sanded the entire LED surface to diffuse the light, filed them flat and glued them into the holes. This way you get a nice even light from within the panel.

Go with superbrights.

11. chopsuwe

chopsuwe What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing you will need leds spaced 2-3cm apart the whole way down the length of it. Use the mega bright 6000mcd ones if you want it to be visable in daylight. Filling the letters with silver paint helps too. Don't be too surprised if that acrylic doesn't transmit the light very well. I tried some dark green stuff and it didn't work at all.

Another idea is to use a ccfl along the top that way you don't need a whole bunch of leds

JavaDog - Try using a circular dental burr about 1mm diameter.

12. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

ok but if i sand all over my plexi, it will become ugly with lot of sracth... ?? :eyebrow:
    And for the leds, where can i find some in canada ? and some resistor, i try radioshack but i hate them, they just said : we dont sell this stuff , because tthey are in the backroom and we dont have time to put them in front.... They just dont want to work... whatever

Well the bit i used is a diamond wheel point 11/64" ball
    [​IMG]

13. chopsuwe

chopsuwe What's a Dremel?

Sand the front of the led to diffuse the light, not the plexi.

14. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

very nice ;)

now i have to gather up the bravery to start my dremel up on my peice of perspex..... might wait until coffee wakes me up so my hands arnt shaking so much... lol

15. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

like that ?
    [​IMG]

16. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

what kind of paint it is ?? silver paint ?? do you have some pic to show me this ??