1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic Games Store snatches The Division 2 from Steam

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 10 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The question is why; with Ubisoft already running their own 100% revenue store, the only benefit of selling via a store taking its own cut (even if small) would be to access a larger user base. That's the only thing a Steam release had going for it, and there is zero chance the Epic store has anything more than a fraction of the users Steam has.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Someone actually buys Ubisoft games from a 3rd party shop?

Buy a GPU, get a Ubisoft game for free
    Buy a SSD, get a Ubisoft game for free
    Buy a monitor, get a Ubisoft game for free

And of the handful leftover people who didn't get whatever Ubisoft is currently pushing for free the majority will be making use of the rebate for achievements thing on Uplay...

4. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

'Back in December 2019'

What year is this?

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Why can't it be like the good old days of just having one store "Steam"?...
    Too many of these independent stores makes me not buy their games. Especially having to sign up with my details to each one and be bombarded with junk emails, or have my details sold online.

Let's not get into Season passes etc.

It all boils down to greed...

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I imagine money changed hands, after that Ubi don't have to worry about distribution costs.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wishing my life away, here; that should be 2018, obvs!

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Tencent are seriously throwing some money around with these exclusives.

i hope no body buys these games, i was looking forward to supergiants Hades but wont be bothering with it now. pc games should not be and exclusive to a single store front

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

In Steam's case the greed goes both ways.

Valve have made absolutely no effort to remain competitive with other platforms or improve the service they offer to publishers/developers. If anything they have made it worse over time, avoiding being buried under a mountain of shovelware means paying money to stay on the front page and/or for in store advertising. Epic have obviously offered Ubisoft a handy chunk of money, plus instant access to the 20million or so Fortnite PC install base on top of however many people have Uplay already. If it reduces sales a bit, that will be mitigated by each sale being at least 18% more profitable.

I doubt it will, but this should serve as a wake up call to Valve to do something about the crappy state of Steam. On that note Activision put Destiny 2 and Black Ops 4 on Battlenet, they are clearly gearing up to move away from Steam as well, it would not surprise me if the next Call of Duty is available on every storefront except Steam.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think the argument goes that Steam take so much of a cut that it wipes out any potential profit small publishers could make and Epic will give them an alternative.

Although if Epic takes off I wonder how long it'd be before they did the same as Steam.

11. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Why should I care? "Oh no Valve take 30%, and Epic only take 12%", well why am I not seeing any sort of price difference? Plus you want to charge just shy of £100 for all the content and have a fragmented player base? My friends and I are in the market for a new multiplayer game to play, but we pretty much all are avoiding this crap. Slowly but surely they'll figure it out, especially as the shares of all the AAA game makers have tanked. Plus the Epic market is full of kids that have spent all their pocket money on battle passes, skins and dance emotes I doubt they're going to stop buying them for months to save up for a AAA game. 88% might be better than 70% on the face of it, but 88% of nothing, is still nothing.

12. gosh

gosh Minimodder

as someone who has had steam on their PC's since hl2 came out (and when it was regarded as restrictive DRM), right through the amazing sale years to today i say sod valve, good riddance. they really have not made any attempt to keep up, haven't released a real game in years and have squandered their monopoly and good will. I'm sure steam isn't going anywhere as it's valuable to them as a data farm even if the store shut and every game key was bought from 3rd party sites, but competition should be good for the players - store exclusives i'm less enthused about but if it gets them an userbase fair game.

not looking forward to half a dozen stores all having their own app/launcher for PC mind you

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

So where are we at now?

Steam
    Discord
    Epic Games
    UPlay
    Battlenet
    Origin
    Microsoft Store?

and then...
    Humble Bundle
    GOG
    Itch.io?

14. Nestea_Zen

Nestea_Zen What's a Dremel?

actually
    >Now, according to Galyonkin, only half of Fortnite players have Steam installed, and of those that
    >do have it installed, 60% don't actively use it. For reference, Fortnite’s player count across all
    >platforms was said to have exceeded 200 million back in November. I thought it unimaginable that the
    >majority of the PC share wouldn’t use Steam regularly, but evidently that’s the case. This really
    >crystallized that we’re talking about a completely different userbase here than most of the PC
    >players that I know and the people who frequent these forums.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not really.
    There are tons of gamers on PC that only play a very small number of games and that happens on both Steam as well as outside of it.

Games like CS:Go, Warframe, LoL, Minecraft, WoW, Starcraft, Overwatch, Fortnite etc have an insanely large and highly active playerbase, but a very significant portion of them rarely play anything else and often simply don't give a toss about new game releases (and by extension don't care for game stores either).

Last edited: 19 Jan 2019
  16. rollo

rollo Modder

Considering the 2 most played pc games have basically been

League of legends and Fortnight not sure how its a shock that steam was not used that much

Between Dota 2 LOL and Fortnight you have probably 80% of the pc audience only 1 of the 3 needs steam.

17. Nestea_Zen

Nestea_Zen What's a Dremel?

@Anfield
    Yea, I guess that makes sense. I'd consider myself one those customers. Even if I had the cash to spare to buy all these indie games to "rank up" in Steam, I don't think I would do it. I bought the Hotline Miami series (because I played payday 2 at that time) and sure, it was nice, but I eventually got upset with the difficulty and dropped it :S . I'm also not a huge fan of indie platform games or those story-telling games. On the other hand I sure as hell had this "cleansing" moment, one is supposed to get from theater or opera, when I watched a playthrough of that Anapurna game on YT. It was refreshing.
    I guess I too got caught up in the PR game and number circle-jerking: we have X amount of people, so at least X amount of people will buy the other games if we offer it.
    I suppose a new generation is taking over. I got into Steam because of Valve's games. Nostalgia and the time you had with a game, has a huge part in determining "your home". Let's see how this all will turn out.

Tags: Add Tags