1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Epic Games Unreal turns 10 years old!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by f00dl3, 22 May 2008.

1. f00dl3

f00dl3 New Member

Tomorrow - May 22nd, 2008, Epic Games classic game "Unreal" turns 10 years old.

I'm actually surprised no one else notices this, as it was quite a revolutionary game for it's day.

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Epic can die now then?

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Unreal and Unreal Tournament were perfect. Then Epic went and f***ed it all up.

They need to work on new IPs like Gears Of War 2.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

the original UT was truly epic. i've never played any of the others cuz i feel they take away from the purity of running around with rocket launchers and the like. simple deathmatch works wonders.

5. koola

koola Active Member

I was more of a Quake guy although I was a fan of the Unreal sound voice overs "God-like!". As others have said, Epic can ****-off!

6. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Active Member

I rember Unreal when it first came out, it was up against Quake 2 at the time and I bought both. I played Q2 numeous times because I loved the characters, the setting and the weapons but with Unreal I played it twice and whilst I loved the way it looked it just wasn't quite there. The one thing that still sticks in my mind about Unreal was the sodding wasps near the start that took multiple shots from the magnum pistol to kill them, c'mon man, its a frakkin' wasp!

One other memorable image that sticks with me was the part where I used the spinning disc launcher (can't remember what it was called) and by accident decapitated a Skarjj (think I spelt that right) Elite with a deflected shot and then watched him reach up and feel for his missing head and collapse in a heap once he realised he was dead - I tried to repeat it but never could.

I remember a quote from PC Gamer at the time of release, they said the perfect game would have been if they made Q2 with the Unreal engine because the Unreal weapons seemed just a bit too weedy and the creatures lacked the imagination that Id had put into theirs.

I recall loading Unreal again about 2-3 years ago and was quite surprised how rough it looked, I remember it as I thing of beauty and perhaps I should have left it that way.

Tags: