1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress --== Epic PC Cases: Dice ==-- 21.09 .......40w Laser Arrived, yeooowww!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 19 Aug 2009.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

You're right, watercooling this thing would have been awesome but unfortunately that is beyond the budgets of some :p

I really do want to show how the dice will lift up and reveal the internal parts and that should come soon, oh so soon............ *muwahhahahahaha*

2. TheGovernator

TheGovernator What's a Dremel?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Love the cube, curious about how you'll fit\finish the corners! (Pantyhose?) Is there going to be some sort of mechanism for lifting the outer case, or will it just be lifted by hand?

Will definitely watch this one.

3. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Ill be double layering white pantyhose for the corners and the case can just be lifted up to reveal the parts underneath. It will be lifted by hand as I really have no idea how I could manage to do that mechanically.

Up for ideas though!

4. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Update!

I bought a laser cutter from china last Thursday but I was due in for a demonstration for a multicam cnc machine. They cut out the Epic PC Cases logo for us and we will see in a week or so if the laser cutter can best it.

Im quite sure it will :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What you guys reckon? laser cutter would do a better job?

5. Interloper

Interloper Faux Pro Modder

I have used a laser cutter many times and I love it!

As far as quality goes, it really depends of what your looking for. Both will be quality. CNC, as you can see, gives a deeper cut. The depth of the laser cutter will be far less. Multiple passes can create more depth. But they will yield pretty much the same 'frosted' look. It etches away a fraction of a mm.

Example:
    [​IMG]

6. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Woah nice, yeah the laser has just cleared customs and i'll get to test it out soon but damn, that is quite nice, Do you own the laser personally and how long has your tube lasted you?

7. Interloper

I don't own it personally. Unfortunately :sigh:

I use my college's fab lab. They have all sorts of expensive machines :thumb: They just bought another laser cutter, this one being 120W with a bed space of 36"x24". The other is a 40W with a 18"x24" bed. I am going to have SO much fun with that bad boy! My other favorite machine is the 3D printer. That thing is really cool. I'll be using it and the laser cutters for my upcoming build. Custom parts, here I come!

As far as the tube goes, I think that they have replaced it once, possibly twice, since I used it last. That was about 2 years ago. Have to take into account that it is being used by more than just a few people so the wear on it is more. That picture I posted is only one piece of a robotic forklift I built using only the laser cutter. Took second place in the Engineering Depts. Robot Show.

I know that they thought they needed to replace it once before and were told to try cleaning the lens before they bought new. That did the trick and I think they got it working again just like new. Routine maintenance and cleaning will extend the life for sure!

Which brand/model did you buy? I've used the Epilog brand.

8. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Strong laser sg40a which I believe is the same as the rabbit and epilog (might be wrong) but yeah these things are constantly rebranded so its quite hard to find information on the net.

[​IMG]
    But whats this? A box of win arrived :p

[​IMG]
    I never thought it would be as big as my couch, but hey....these things happen.

[​IMG]
    A 40w laser tube.

[​IMG]
    Until I find a new home for it, the laser will live in my room!

[​IMG]
    One last shot of the tube.

I ordered a usb to parallel connector from HK and my laser left on a boat from the same place. Somehow, 6 days later the parallel connector has not yet arrived yet and my laser did. Care to mention that the laser went on a boat and the connector probably took off by plane.

It'll turn up eventually but until I get that baby in, no laser fun for me.

I really cant wait to keep adding to this project with the laser, should be interesting here on in!

9. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Wow! Lazerz rock. Looks like something out of an 80's bond film :D

10. Interloper

Some words of advice

When cutting acrylic, or any other flamable material, use the fan assist if yours has one. It will help clear the smoke and keep the lens clean. I should also mention, DO THIS OUTSIDE WHERE THERE IS PLENTY OF VENTILATION!!!
    Also, I'm not sure on your laws, but I know that we had to hook up the vent line to a big filter so that the fumes/chemicals expelled into the air are lessened.

If you have any other questions let me know, I'll see if I can help.

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

It would appear that the laser tube is faulty and doesnt fire.....what a setback!

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Loving this mod mate, a real shame about the lazer though :(.

13. Interloper

DOH! Get them on the phone and make them overnight ship you a new one!

I want to see what you have in store for this little guy, and I'm sure he wants to get to work too.:hehe:

14. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]
    Upon closer inspection the laser was firing, however all it was firing was an infrared beam. With no hydrogen, no xenon and no co2 - infrared is pretty useless.

The crack means that the gasses needed for the laser to fire had escaped. Luckily they are sending me a new laser tube but I have had to pay for postage.

DHL should be a little more careful with their delivery!

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol:DHL careful?:hehe:
    This is the #1 reason I went with a CNC. I knew the glass tube would be destroyed by the time It arrived.

+1 on the adequate ventilation. I will also add that you should NOT cut polycarbonate/Lexan with your new toy. Most companies refuse to do it because the fumes are toxic.

16. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

NOOOOO! :waah: That is gutwrenching for you mate. I'll mark that machine down as one i'll never buy since my temper would not permit that kind of delivery incident :wallbash:

Hope its sorted soon for you :thumb: I still have faith that this will turn out awesome

17. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I'll be cutting acrylic which isnt much better to be honest. The machine will be moving to a factory, a mate of mine will be giving me some floor space for free (some people are so kind :p ) so ill actually have a dedicated place to make cases which will be pretty nifty.

I had some grub screws arrive today so ill be getting a move along with this case (finally!)

18. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

One of my wife's clients is an awards shop. They have one of the bigger Epilogue machines. They said even with the big fume exhaust fan running they will never try to engrave a moose antler again!

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:hehe: I know that feeling! I was sanding some stag handles and realized the stuff smells exactly like the deer's *ss probably smelled! I imagine BURNING it is far stinkier!