1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC X Series 20.10.2010 Its over, finished, complete. Come one come all :)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 1 Feb 2010.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Dude if you looked, you would see he crafted a sheet of aluminium with just a scroll saw and a bench top break into a case. That's modding which is in the league of such names of craigbru and oldnewb, true old school modder's rarely touch dremels because they are POS for any job and make more noise and mess than any other tool that would do the job in half the time.

I use every tool at hand when i know it reduces hassle in fab work, he had a scroll saw, you had a laser cutter, its the tw*t that uses scroll saw when he is stood next to a laser cutter.

However he had no right to post in such a manor, if you've got nothing constructive to say then its trolling.

Cheapskate and craigbru like this.
  2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Whatever it is, if there's any more nastiness towards CNC, laser cutting or anything else along these lines...well you have been warned. There's no need for it and as Burnout21 says it's about as constructive as pulling the legs off a spider so keep these opinions to yourself please. Case closed.

3. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

@fozzy
    [​IMG]

keep up the good work man, coming along nicely, loving the 24pin idea. how are you gunna fix the bubble bath res? :blush:

Last edited: 19 Mar 2010
  4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I really like the orange coolant, goes great with the rest of the mod. Those photoshop pics look pretty good mate ;).

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

...Ever felt guilty for looking at a car wreck as you passed by?:worried:

6. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

only you Cheapskate

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

That's because it's his fault.

As always.

8. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

Sorry but i don't seem to get it, how did you manage to have two phases in the water (etc) Or are those just air bubbles in the res and tubing? Thanks, awesome build.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

trapped air, he is in the process of removing it as its not healthy for pumps or the loops cooling efficiency.

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

This.

@ Djayness: I'm not sure if I've posted in this thread yet, but I am subbed and all I really have to say is that I'm well impressed with what you've done so far. I have gotten some great inspiration from this whole build log, and I've been doing this for a while. I'm very impressed with your CNC and also what you're capable of doing with it. There's been a CNC laser (although a little larger and slightly more powerful than yours to suit my own needs) on my machinery shopping list for a long time now, and reading this log has bumped it up a few places! I'm really looking forward to seeing this beauty finished, so I'll just wish you the best of luck with the rest of the build and fade back into the shadows so you can get on with it and I can continue watching intently :)

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]
    Been doing some photoframes for me and keyrings for some of my customers...

Update: I had a leak in the main res and it spent most of the night trickling into all the HDD's.

Lost everything, most without backup. The only thing that survived was my SSD!

Slowly recovering some of the drawings I was supposed to cut, I am getting Dreamaxx to completely resleeve the PSU (as I honestly did a rubbish job) and then as soon as Windows 7 gets a good install, we are on our way!

Got some replacement drives, the Samsung spinpoint F3 was a good buy so I got two of them! Brought back the raptor 74gig from its own dusty death by getting a second one from Ebay.

Note: Did initially run the samsung in raid 0 but its back to two seperate drives, one for backup :p Learning....slowly haha.

[​IMG]
    The SSD obviously has quite a read rate and a phenomenal .2ms access time. Still keeping up with the game, this is my OS drive.

[​IMG]
    Not the fastest thing on the market anymore, raid 0 74gig raptors arent slow and I got both of these for 30 dollars from an office lady in Brisbane who put it on Ebay as a pickup only bid. She couldnt get her head around the fact that she had two low capacity HDD's in her work computer. Being the awfully generous person I am, I decided to take both the drives off her for a combined total of 60 dollars.

If I really paid the 200 ought these were worth back in the day, I would be kicking myself right now.

[​IMG]
    Lets remember that this is a single drive that only costs $105.00. It holds its own against a SSD and a pair of raptors in raid 0.

[​IMG]
    Not to mention what this thing can do in raid 0 as well. $210 will get you two of these drives in raid 0, two terabytes of space and upwards of 220mbs and 11ms access time. Lets say you can actually notice the difference between .02 and .1 of a second access time (I would argue that you cant notice it, being the owner of SSD's and raid arrays), the 220mbs is still pretty badass and then the 2 terabytes is even more badass.

Im waiting for someone to tell me that I shouldnt be comparing SSD and HDD performance but really, considering the results above and the value to be had. Unless you own a laptop or unless you wouldnt bend down to pick up a five dollar note as it fell out of your wallet, you'd be a clown to get an SSD over a pair of F3 Spinpoints.

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Don't expect sympathy from me over a coolant leak after you post a pic of your smokin' hot girlfriend!:(
    :lol:
    I've been wondering; How are you sealing the reservoirs? I've seen silicone in some of the pics. Are you not using the plexi glue on them?

13. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Haha no need for sympathy, ive mulled over it for quite some time already.

I used water thin acrylic solvent which was water tight initially but a simple pressure test revealed that some extra sealant was needed. The problem wasnt the res being water tight, it was the compression fitting not being screwed in tight enough.

When the system was off, the air gets pushed up into the system as the top res drains, this creates quite a bit of pressure in the res and it leaked overnight, drip by drip, into the HDD's.

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Mate that really sucks about the res leaking, I accidentally overfilled my bay res once and showered my HDDs in coolant, lucky they were unplugged at the time.

I really like that photo frame and the key chains, very original work.

15. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

im sorry to hear that
    but also glad to hear that your back up and running :D
    cant wait to see the final pics

i finally figured out your user name
    its a blend of jess and daniel (hope i spelled that right)
    your a lucky man :(

16. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

I never really trust o-rings alone on any of my fittings. I used the o-rings and Teflon tape together to make a tighter seal.

disturbed13 likes this.
  17. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yeah that stuff is like 50 cents a roll and it could have saved me!

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Whoa its been a while, cut some grills for a few clients and did some for myself.
    The project is slowly getting back on its feet, I lost all the X series drawings with my HDD's and im designing the components from scratch, again.

Seems alot harder the second time...

Anyhow, onto the grills.

[​IMG]
    Triple passes, one cut through and 2 smoothing passes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

Ok thats a lot of grills

20. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

how about a hot dog for all of those grills :D