1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC's Carbide Series is now the Lamptron Vector Series! 12.8.2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 26 Apr 2011.

1. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Better sub this FAST and THEN read the rest - I fear my computer will crash due to the amounts of sheer AWESOMENESS going on here.

2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Thanks for the info guys +reps' for both.

Yeah I'll be ordering at least 100 of each cap screw so I will place an order with them soon.

empyrean likes this.
  3. Nutman

en.mdpc-x.com also has the bolts you need - or at least many of them. But might be too expensive?

4. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Good god, those are expensive screws...I just got a bag of 50 traditional 6-32 x 3/16 HDD screws for $4. The same place has stainless black oxide socket cap 6-32 x 3/8 for $9.90 + $6 shipping. Surely it wouldn't cost that much to have them shipped from the States...got any stateside friends? That is, if you can handle a .061" difference...roughly 1.5 mm longer - 9.52 mm total.

They're here: http://www.fastener-express.com/6-3...crew-stainless-steel-black-oxide-qty-100.aspx for what it's worth.

More to the point, though: I love this build. I love me some fine CNC work.

5. Nutman

Yeah, but the MDPC ones are shiny. ;)

6. JCpewpew

JCpewpew What's a Dremel?

man loving this build its just Sexy!
    awesome work man

7. domthecondom

domthecondom Noob Modder

This is all acrylic?

8. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

9USD for 100 screws, thats unheard of! I will check later if they have international shipping.

Yes, yes they are. We all love shiny :)

Thanks! Pew Pew Pew!

Indeed. Apart from the screws, this entire case features hundreds of dollars worth of 6mm black, 6mm clear, 3mm black and 3mm clear acrylic.

9. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

I like your acrylic work, the case look fantastic. All parts fit perfect and the design is quiet good.

10. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Apparently they do. From their site (copy-pasta, the spelling mistakes aren't mine):

All payments must be in U.S. funds only.

Shipping for international orders outside the U.S. is nonrefundable for returns, unless we make a mistake.

Wedo notguarantee delivery of uninsured & unregistered packages for orders outside the U.S. and. Once your order is shipped it becomes your responsibility. If you want your package to be registered and insured, please let us know in the &quote;Comments&quote; section of the order form and we can add insurance and registration for you at an additional fee.

Note:Orders shipped outside the U.S. may be subject to customs, duties, taxes, of local authorities. These fees -- if any -- will not be shown on your invoice and are entirely the responsibility of the customer to pay.

If I can embezzle a little time at work tomorrow, I'll see if I can figure out how much the customs, etc would be on this. It's something I've had to do every once in a great while, but never anything to Australia....although it seems like it was over $100 for freight and all for a few boxes of china markers to Russia, last time I did this. I'll let you know what I find out.

11. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Crikey mate!:eeek: A hundred bucks is just crazy. Go to one of your local bolt shops and get them for a few cents each. Just around the area I live we have ten bolt shops, must be dozens where you live. Whenever I've looked for screws or bolts online, they have always been a lot more expensive than buying from a shop. ;)

Oh, and if the local shops don't have what I'm after, it usually takes two or three days for them to get some in.

12. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

My local is Mitre 10 and they aren't much cheaper unfortunately (they also have less choice).

BTW the second Carbide case is getting constructed for DarkMX1000, a Swedish modder.

Check it out!

13. Nutman

Excellent video - looking forward to seeing the diffuser doing its work.

14. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Actually had an example earlier on :)

15. Nutman

Yes, I saw those shots, but I can't see the light source? Is the vandal proof switch the light source? If yes, why is there no light in the switch's own light ring in the 1st shot?

And why did you shape the diffuser like that? Wouldn't a square plate have been easier to manufacture?

16. nat83c

nat83c What's a Dremel?

if those screws/bolts are $9USD for a packet of 100, you'd be mad not to get them atm with out $ being so good

This case is looking awesome, glad to see there is so much talent for this sort of thing in Australia

17. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Actually the machine does all the work for me :)

Two reasons it is shaped as such:

1. To save space, I don't go to cut unless the entire sheet is filled with products and or case parts.

2. The drive bay is directly to the right of that, the design I did allows for the drive bays to fit within 2mm's of that edge (which is the backplate as well).

The light source in that picture is my phone but the diffuser will work just as well with cold cathodes or LED's.

Yeah I'm kicking myself, been paying 15 to 20 bucks for packs of 25 high end nikel coated ones from Wurth's. Sort of worth it but not really, the screws are meant for high temperature operation and are designed specifically for use in cars.

I know where I will be buying my screws from now on though. 9AUD for 100 black oxide screws is just too good of a deal.

18. bagman

bagman Minimodder

can't wait to see DarkMX's rig in there, love his vids. Forgot to say the case looks really awesome!

19. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Wait no longer.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Nutman

moar?