1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic: Photorealistic games in ten years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 May 2009.

1. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

I thought that the old area 51 arcade shooter was photo realistic!

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Photo-realistic is...overrated. Take HL2 for example, a much more enjoyable game than say...Crysis, if only because Atmosphere is important. I'd rather have a game that has great atmosphere, a bit less polygon pushing, and have it enjoyable rather than pretty.

STALKER: CS, not the best game, but it's atmosphere, story, and just general aura is much better than Crysis, hence why I'd enjoy playing that rather than Crysis.

In other words, as delriogw said, quality over looks and quantity.

3. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

As long as everyone stops using the easy button with the Unreal 3 Engine anythings possible.

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I would love photo-realistic games.

I think in the future games will be just as powerful as a good movie.

Making you laugh, cry, fear, guilt and even anger when a child in a hostage situation for example gets killed.

You don't really care at the moment because the graphics are still crude, hell, people might even end up falling in love with characters.

Real emotion while your playing that the crude graphics of today can't really manage.

In 15 years time crysis will look as crude as doom does now, and we'll all laugh about how we all thought crysis in the day looked great.

I say bring it on, i would love a gaming experience like that.

Last edited: 28 May 2009
  5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Our survey says.... ERRRR!

Graphics have nothing to do with emotional connection. Ever read a book? Doesn't even have any graphics, but a good novel packs 100 times the emotional content of something like Cyrsis (hell, make that 1,000 times).

It's the script, writing and delivery that makes a game emotional. Graphics are totally and utterly irrelevent.

6. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

I agree. What's important isn't the graphics but the gameplay. Great graphics means nothing if the gameplay isn't good. Well.. there's one game genre who need that kind of improvements, which is... hentai games! :D

Tags: Add Tags