1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic: "Wii is a virus"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Apr 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

List of things epic likes:

UT3
    Gears of War

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I half agree with him, the wii is my girl friends console of choice as its just so accessible to her, the only gamea that have kept me playing on it are zelda, mario galaxy and mario kart.

the wii does need more serious games and i love playing on the console, but there is just no substance in most wii games to keep you playing, that is till super smash bros comes out :)

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Good grief, these people should really have their press releases edited by some one with a brain.

The thing is that "class of people who really love it and enjoy it" will probably never buy an Epic game and honestly who can blame them.

5. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Wii is not Viral!!!

Come on they make a good game like Gears of War which I have, I personally only liked the original Unreal: T, tried the new one hated it (and it crashed an awful lot, and I am more of a CS:S/TF2 kinda guy).
    When you start making games of the constant quality of Nintendo, then u can say that kinda stuff, the wii is my fav console of the bunch, so screw you Mr.Epic....

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The point is you know before you buy that the Wii is not a hardcore gamer console.
    It's a fun console, something you switch on to fill some time and have a laugh, I'm having great fun playing Mario Kart Wii as graphics don't matter just gameplay.
    For TF2, COD4, CS and the like I'll switch on the PC.

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

they should call it wiiid (as in weed) once you have inhaled you want one.

8. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

I think yodasarmpit has hit it on the head. The Wii is not designed to be a hard core gaming console. It is designed as a multiplayer console that you get out for a bit of social gaming. It is so easy to use, my 5 year oldhas been playing on the Wii since we got one over a year ago. The PS3 and XBox are designed for the serious gamers, but the Wii is definately for the casual gamer.

Andy

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Why won't they just shut up?

10. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

i half agree with epic here (which is a radical change), as i can't help but think that if it wasn't for the ds which i think is absolute genius, that nintendo are going a it 'Appleish' with their excessive marketing, ridiculous profit margins and aiming to sell to the ignorant mass market. There where always better players than the ipod available, just as the other consoles and their games are superior to the wii's, but seeing as they've been exposed so much that the wii is a household name, as the ipod was, people buy it. Mind you I only think nintendo are starting to show these traits and are not at the level apple are, as they haven't alienated their competition as much.

11. CHiwi

CHiwi What's a Dremel?

Talk about sour grapes. I have a ton of friends aren't gamers, but when they come over they love a game of tennis or bowling on the Wii. As soon as I open my mouth though about a new PC game they are soooooo not interested.

Its a console aimed at the casual gamer market, the consoles price and games reflect that too. I'm not too sure about it being as viral as he says, not one of my friends has brought one yet.....

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i will give an appropriate adjective to the wii:

FUN!!!!!!

13. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Epic should just shut up... first they bash pc gaming now the wii... what the hell do they hope to achieve?

14. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

If you look at the Wii as an engineering prrof of concept for motion tracking and alternative input methods then it is a huge triumph. Once it starts being compared to PCs, 360s and PS3s in terms of what it is capable of then it can be argued that it is laughable but we have to remember that this is not what it is intended for, It has always been meant for the more casual player who does have the time or the will to sit for a couple of hours plus hammering away at an incredibly complex game.

The only console I own at the moment is a DS lite but with the amount of spare time I have now if I were going to have another it would definitely be a Wii and from the looks of Mario Kart, that might be sooner than later. I am not sure if there are many other games I would get for it though but hey, we shall see what happens.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

More and more Epic comes across as those types of gamers who turn their nose up at something because it doesn't have the most awesome mega graffix and throws their toys out of the pram and blame noobs and lag because they can't sell as many games as they want. Plus as a part of the "PC gaming alliance" they seem to be doing everything in their power not to support PC.

I've completely lost any respect I had for them

I agree with what rastus is saying, the Wii isn't like a normal console so shouldn't really be judged in the same way PCs and other consoles are. It's not really designed for locking yourself in a room and playing on your own or going online and pwning noobs. Yeah there are some games that allow that, but the really great games are the ones that don't try to be a normal game on a weird controller. When I go round the friends house with a bunch of mates, if we play games it's usually Wario Ware or something similar and it's ludicrously good fun. A lot of people pass the Wii off as a party console, what the hell is wrong with that?

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I don't think I'll be buying anything else from Epic. I'm still hurting over paying for the half baked UT3 and their comments on PC gaming in general.

Personally, the Wii was the first console I've ever been compelled to buy. It sits next to my computer and is used socially when my little bro and friends drop by. When I'm in the mood for some serious gaming, I fire up the computer. I thought people would have got it by now, that the Wii is strongest when playing games with other people in a social environment.

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Translation: We need to compensate for sub-par gameplay with shiny graphics

18. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Epic continue to amaze and amuse me with their ill-thought-out comments about anything related to gaming.

19. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

And then proceed to buy the rights to this t-shirt :D

20. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I love playing RE4 on the wii even though i played the piss out of it on gamecube i still really enjoy playing it on the wii.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2008
Tags: Add Tags