Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Naked_Dave, 4 Jan 2004.
Post them.. nobody won't laugh
Thats kinda what i'm afraid of!
After a fair bit of filing, it looks a bit better... somehow i'd managed to cut one side of the cutout for the switch half the size of the other!
It's looking fine... but still
God, getting a credit card has got to be the worst decision i've ever made... I've already spent £200 on this project, and don't have any of the real components except for the optical drive!
Just ordered a holesaw too, which should make cutting the front fan holes much easier... after my recent performances i was dreading using a dremel!
Good, holesaw is the best way to make blowholes (it depens what materials...) I use dremel only for little jobs
Gad, just finished filing the front panel and lapping the waterblock! *collapses*
My arms haven't had that much of a workout since i was 14! *crude *
Well the holesaw has arrived, but i'm having great problems with it... my drill press doesn't go nearly slow enough, and i actually don't have an ordinary electric drill, so i'm having to use a hand drill! Probably should hae checked the speeds before i bought it! It will get done, but its going to take a while... more pics coming as soon as its done. Sorry about the delays.
You should just be able to put the drill press on a dimmer to slow it down. Someone should second that though cuz i dont want to be responsible for a busted press.
Doesn't seem to work. Theres a switch inside that stops the motor running on anything other than direct from the mains.
I've just finished cutting the holes (by hand - wasn't as bad as i thought), but my cameras batteries are flat, so i can't upload pics until they're finished charging. Shouldn't be long until the next update, unless i fall asleep! (its 3:25 am)
Good Job...Keep going !
Ok, here, finally, is an update!
The front panel cutouts are finally finished. It took me about an hour of constant work with a manual drill to cut the fan holes, but they look a lot better than i could have done with the dremel, so i guess it was worth it. Anyway, on to the pics.
The panel, just after i'd finished cutting:
I put the fan grill underneath as well to get an idea of whether it would look as good as i'd hoped... I think it does, or at least it will when its all lit up! The black shape at the bottom will be the on switch.
Just a quick shot of the optical drive i'll be using. The button is shown again next it it. Its just a piece of 3mm plexi (used to be a maplin window kit - its the only place i can get the stuff! ) vinyl dyed on one side. The sides are still clear, so it will glow when the computer is on.
For various reasons (ok, i just couldn't be bothered, sue me!), i've decided not to use the proximity sensor at this time, although i may introduce it later, after everything is put together. Instead i'm going to use the same kind of vandal switch i used for redemption... spose i might as well go do that now actually
looking good man
Now at least one, and maybe both, of the fans are broken. I knew it was strange that something i'd modded worked when i put it back together! They were just waiting to lull me into a false sense of security, ready to pounce. Bar stewards!
Guess i'm back to the shops soon then... just as soon as my credit card is paid off heh
<-- Dude, i know!
had to censor it didnt you. SHUCKS!
Using my 100th post to make an announcement :
Project Epiphany is officially closed. Too many things have gone wrong with it, and had to be changed, that i just don't feel like continuing this log. I'm carrying on with the project, but i won't be putting up any updates until its finished. Thanks to everyone who read and gave support.
We will return!
Separate names with a comma.