1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson R300 - CD Printing ownage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OneSeventeen, 21 Dec 2004.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I just bought an Epson Stylus Photo R300 to print on CDs (aparently it is amazing with photos as well, but most photo printers are..)

So here's the results of a set of CDs printed in text/graphics mode (not photo mode, obviously)

[​IMG]
    (click for larger)

For those of you who haven't seen printable CDs, those are CDs with a white layer on top of them specifically for ink jet printing. I set the CD in a plastic tray, pushed it through, and viola! I'm hoping to buy some with a silver semi-transparent surface instead of the white, but I've got to go through the white ones first.

I've heard this printer gets figety after a while and requires giving the tray a little nudge. I'll let you know after a few hundred are printed off.

The printer has 6 ink cartridges that are semi-pricy, but at least I only have to purchase what I run out of, instead of buying an entire color set because I ran out of magenta.

(And in case you are wondering, no, linuxoncd.net is not up yet, but that's the product I'll be selling.)

2. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Mmmmmm sexeh, so glad i bought this printer now :D haven't got round to testing it on CD's tho.

Death

3. |I.H|

|I.H| New Member

how much is that printer?

i'm shopping around for a good printer that prints on the cd-r

4. TweeTeee

TweeTeee New Member

Iv used this printer myself and now own the Canon i865 as well.
    Both are very good printers, especially for the price.
    Imho the Canon is slightly better in speed and cost. But the differences are not much. Build quality on Canon is noticable better though. Been using it solidly for most of the year and not a squeek from it. Whereas the Espon tray started giving problems in little over a month.
    Iv been printing on these since the previous generation of Epson CD printable printers so can give you a heads up on a couple of aspects.
    First of the ink jet printable discs (be they CD or DVD) differ slightly.
    Not all printable surfaces go to the center of the disc (the ones that do are called 'Full Face' or 'Hub printable').
    Secondly the surfaces differ in print quality. The best way I can describe it is akin to using Matt Photo Paper and Glossy Photo paper. I find the Glossy finishes give a much better print as colors are much more vivid and contrast is also much higher e.g blacks come out as deep black. Note the glossy finishes can be easily seen as they have a smooth slippery surface.
    Also the 'silver printable surfaces' dont look terribly good. Only exception is if your printing a few aspects onto the discs, as opposed to having a lot of the disc surface all printed on e.g. photo prints.
    Finally, dont waste money on original cartridges, as they are way over priced. At the same time do not use re-fillable cartridges. Instead buy good quality clone cartridges, which cost half or just less than the originals, last at least as long if not longer and provide a 95% or more print quality (i.e. no noticable difference).
    Hope this helps a bit :)
    Figured iv been through these griefs, so why not share da knowledge :)

5. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Cool, thanks for the tips.
    I think I might stick with white printables, or at least just purchase the silvers in smaller quantities for testing.

I mainly bought this because I found it for $150, and couldn't find a single cannon in my area that printed on CDs. I actually looked because I've heard good things, and since I only use cannon scanners, might as well use a cannon printer, eh steve? But since this was all that was in my area, and I got to see some test photos, it won. :p

I haven't found clones of these ink cartridges yet unfortunately, so if you see some, lemme know.

6. DanMcr

DanMcr New Member

Had this printer for about 3 months now. Best printer ive ever used. Its great, photo quality is excellent and the CD printing is awesome.
    Even my girlfriend seemed impressed. (Which takes a small miracle :D)

7. TweeTeee

TweeTeee New Member

Yep the cannon is a bit harder to find but I find it is really nice. Not to mention more compact than the Epson one.
    If it helps any, the model number for the one I got is i865. I believe they do one or two higher models that CD print as well.

8. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

I was thinking of getting the R200 (perhaps R300) for it's CD printing. Thing is I wouldn't be able to do without the duplex module of my HP printer. Do Epson have this option?

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I've got the r300 but can't seem to get the CD tray to go in all the way! Told dad to take it to be re[aired but he hasn#t and now the warrenty's run out :wallbash: . Anyone else had this problem???

<A88>

10. DanMcr

DanMcr New Member

You dont push the CD tray all the way in.

Push it in a little bit untill the arrows on the tray line up, then it takes it in itself when you print.

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

That's the problem, it won't go in that far, and it can't pull it in, it seems there's no way for it to get pulled in anyway because the rollers (or w/e they're called!) are in the way. Should they seperate or somethin?

<A88>

12. Stompy

Stompy New Member

I take it you pulled down the little flap thing yeh?

Bought this printer for my uncle as PCW had it for £99.99. Amazing printer, high quality, nice and easy to use which is great for my uncle.

13. TweeTeee

TweeTeee New Member

Be very carefull with the CD mechanism on the Epson printers. Its fairly fragile. And if you damage it the thing will have to go back to Epson.
    And as I learnt, Epson dont replace with new ones, but instead with re-furbished ones.

On the duplex side of things, I dont think te R300 has that option, but the cannon has all sorts of those options available. Partly because its considered more of a Home Business level printer.
    I picked mine up for a bargain £80 when PC World had there half price sale on.
    Absolute steal :)

14. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I think it's just a matter of the white rollers not raising high enough to accept the tray in...that's what it looks like from here

<A88>

15. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

i have a r200 too! just had to say that
    anyway it a great printer. i personaly like the silver disks. with the right image thy look 3d.
    as for the cd tray, its very flimsy. some times the printer pulls the tray straight through and it hit the wall behind. on the front of the tray there is a clear bit of plastic that got bent (so to speak) now i really have to fiddle with the tray. but hay, for a £80 printer, it gives amazing print quality

heres a link about the tray

http://www.svp.co.uk/helpdesk/index...8'>Information+and+help+on+other+products</a>

16. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Thanks for the info TweeTeee, gonna get myself a Canon now (PIXMA iP4000 probably). CD Printing and full duplex, just what I wanted. Always overlook Canon when I'm looking for stuff, don't know why as I ended up getting my scanner from them recently (after looking at everybody else first).

Reason why the Cannon printers don't do CD printing in the US is apparently down to patents that Philips have and Canon not wanting to pay them money...

17. TweeTeee

TweeTeee New Member

Yep, I couldnt believe that when I read a US review of the printer. It really sucks as it bad for the conusmer's at the end of the day. But consumers are who really count at the end of the day.

18. reGen

reGen Member

I think i will grab this printer can be found for like £80 here in the UK :clap: Will be goin with my luverly canon EOS-20D, to hopefully make some outstanding prints. :rock:

19. FullThrottleRic

FullThrottleRic New Member

A little info from an 'insider' who fixes Epson's daily... :naughty:

The R200/300's all have problems with feeding the CD tray after a while. They're fine when new, but after printing a few (usually happens after a couple of months use) the coating on the main roller wears and can no-longer pull the tray in correctly. The only way to fix this is to take the printer to an Express Centre and get it replaced, or give the tray a little nudge just to get the tray under the white rollers :rolleyes:

Under no circumstances use 3rd party cartridges, they bugger up the heads!!!
    Before people reply with "I've been using brand X for ages with no problems...", you WILL have problems eventually. 95% of the printers that come in have blocked heads, and 100% of them are using craptacular cartridges.
    In the 18 months or so I've been doing this I think I've only seen 1 or 2 blocked heads using official cartridges, vs hundreds and hundreds blocked up using cheap inks. :thumb:

20. theflinger

theflinger New Member

That's hot. My printer does that I think, but I haven't tried it yet. If I could get a good deal on DVDs with the same feature, that would be super neat.