1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Erector Set WaterPlant - Aug 17: All operational!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dacust, 12 Mar 2007.

1. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

boohoo I was hoping to see some updates. Anyway, bad luck! :waah:

2. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

:O This is amazing, i love the erector set (i'm much to young to "remember" those. but i had LEGOS! lol i really like the "old industrial", and the orange wire running threw with all the blue, is really neat.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2007
  3. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Thanks, tranc3. I'm glad you like the orange going through, some other people thought it detracted from the industrial work. There will be some green as well, not much, just a little.

Hopefully I'll get back to working on this in a few weeks.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

oh poop that sucks

5. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Time to put the watercooling equipment back into my computer and hook up the WaterPlant (lights and wiring not done, but it is operational).

However, turns out I have some issues with things not fitting. Here is what I've done so far. When I start back working on this project, I will actually start the PowerStation PC before finishing the WaterPlant so I can have a working system again. Right now I am working on a P4 that works fine, but only has internet and e-mail on it, so it kinda sucks.

Here's what my PC looked like yesterday:
    [​IMG]

I pulled the drives out:
    [​IMG]

And mounted them on the Koolance drive coolers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Geil memory I had has heat spreaders on them, mounted so firm I was afraid to try to remove them, so I bought a couple more cheap 1gb sticks and then mounted the RAM cooler:
    [​IMG]

Then I tried to put the Koolance cooler on my graphics card. Even though it is supposedly made just for my card, evidentally ATI lengthened the card somewhere down the line. It don't fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I clamped a board into it to protect the water pack:
    [​IMG]

And dremeled the edge back a bit:
    [​IMG]

Here it is mounted. I left out the part where I discovered the lid part hit as well and went back and cut it off as well, but you can see that here.
    [​IMG]

Here it is mounted. But here, also you can see my problem. The disk drives won't fit with the card in place.
    [​IMG]

I might be able to figure a way to mod the case and make it work, but I don't think so since it'll all be moved soon anyway.

So, I have some choices:
    1. Put the PC back together air cooled.
    2. Put the PC together watercooled with the drives just laying on the floor.

Then:
    3. Finish the WaterPlant lighting and wiring.
    4. Start the PowerStation PC.

If you think number 1 is a good choice, then go away. I'm actually thinking just skipping all the way to 4. Then do the lighting and wiring on all of it at the same time.

Whadayathink?

6. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

Stuff one of the HD packs into the upper bays (level with the PSU) and then firt the second one at the bottom. :)

Btw, why so much watercooling? You're gonna need a few radiators to keep the heat down, which means more 120mms

7. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Ha, not a bad idea. I got an extra DVD in there I don't have to have, so I got 3 bays free. That'll work. But, I think I will work on the Erector PC a little first. If it progresses too slow I'll take your suggestion. Cool. Thanks! (Another one of those obvious solutions I didn't see.)

It's so much cooling because it's actually a prototype for the marine PC for my boat. Although it's looking like I'll use totally different hardware for that, so most of this is for naught. But I'm having fun.

If it takes more than the double rad I have now, then I will have learned a valuable lesson.

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

I see you have a free bay under the DVD drives, so just move em down, that way you don't even have to remove any of the drives. However, the HD watercooling is rather pointless IMO, a standard quiet 120mm fan will sort them just fine and will barely generate any noise if left to low, and it'll take a lot of the heat out of the water cooling system as HDs produce a tad amount of heat though they will run happily at about 40 to 50 degrees and require only a bit of airflow.

I'd really like to see the Erector set finished though ;)

9. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

For a home system I totally agree that HD watercooling is a waste. But I figure on the boat if it's already 120F in the cabin, it might be a problem.

This whole project really got out of hand. Not complaining, just explaining. It was originally an experiment for watercooling for the marine PC. The Erector set was just for prototyping. But it was so much fun that I made a project out of it, and then decided to do the Erector PC as well. And since I have the DD coolers, I figured I'd just use them kinda as a test. The final results of all this are really up in the air.

And I will definitely finish both the WaterPlant and the PowerStation! Just for you! OK, just for me, really.

<edit>
    Here is a shot of the drives put in like you said:
    [​IMG]
    The "empty" space under the DVD is actually a floppy. The reason the lower set sticks out is because of the fan. Which gives me another idea. With all the water cooling, I could do without that fan and both sets would fit. There is a fan in the side window which would provide the flow I needed.

But, there again, I think I'll just go ahead with the Erector PC and skip getting it working in this case altogether.
    </edit>

Last edited: 8 Aug 2007
  10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

Well, if I were you, I'd test a HD suspension system in the wide open space you have there for both HDs, also note that if you keep the HDs stacked up, even though they're watercooled, the top surfaces will still be hot and emanating heat, and since two top surfaces will be extremely close together, they're going to double the heat output and could potentially damage the drive. So you need to keep them somewhat well-spaced from each other

11. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Good ideas. When it comes to the actual marine setup, I plan on cooling both sides of the drives and mount in foam instead of trying to rig a suspension system.

12. TapperSwe

TapperSwe New Member

How nice to see that u back with some progress dan :thumb: .Hoppe u solve the problems.

13. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Tapper!

I think I will go ahead and hook it up in this case first, just to see if the WaterPlant can keep up with the heat. Then I'll start on the Erector PC PowerStation. I'm heading out of town for the weekend, but I'll have a few hours to play this evening. Hopefully I can get it plumbed, removed from the case and then leak test. I'll probably plumb it a little sloppy with longer than necessary tubes since it won't stay in this case anyway. it'll make it easier to pull out and replace without undoing any fittings.

14. jegerjon

jegerjon New Member

yay your on it again :rock:

Looks nice.

15. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Thanks, jegerjon. I just ordered a new CPU block and a chipset block from frozencpu. Once again, looked like Koolance had what I needed, so it's 100% Koolance blocks. Should be here Tuesday, so I'll get back on it then.

16. jegerjon

jegerjon New Member

That's heigh class dude, can't wait to see that water-loop. Right now it look soo clean.

17. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Thanks! Here's another shot. Partly because I got as much tubing put in as I can until the CPU and chipset blocks get here Tuesday. But mainly because I finally looked at the menus on my camera and found the white balance adjustment. So, finally, this ex-professional photographer can post available incandescant light shots with the correct color balance.

[​IMG]

As you might have figured, I decided to go ahead and install the watercooling in the old case before starting on the Erector PC. Mainly so I can test the temps. If it doesn't perform up to snuff and I have to either go with an additional rad or an additional loop, I can re-design the WaterPlant before finishing the wiring. The main things that concern me (other than just the amount of items I am cooling) are the 90 degree bends in the WaterPlant (and there will be still more in the PowerStation PC), and the fact that all the PC cooling is 1/4". If it doesn't perform, I am leaning towards an additional loop. I have several ideas, but let's don't jump the gun. I'll see how it works as it is, first.

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

Hmm.. *wishes he had money to spend like that*

19. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

same here... :waah:

20. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Actually I've only spent about a grand over the last 6-8 months. The PC, graphics and RAM cooler was from before that. I wish I had the money to go ahead and do the marine PCs, but that'll take another year to save up for I guess.